Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on storing SAKs with the batteries in them?

ca Offline ctstannard

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted but I recently became active again and also invested in some new SAKs including treating myself with an XAVT. It was on sale at a store near me for about 20% off since the box had some minor cosmetic damage (scratches), even though the knife itself was still brand new.

Anyway, the question I have is about storing SAKs with batteries in them. I knew when I bought the XAVT that it was mostly going to be a collector's item due to its... ahem... cumbersome nature. That being said, I was wondering if anyone has ever had any issues with the Renata batteries that they come with leaking? I'm wondering if I should pull the batteries out while I have it on my display shelf or if it is safe to leave them in? Has anyone had any experiences with this? The digital scale still has the pull tab installed next to the battery but I realize the batteries will still self discharge given time.

Personally, I'm leaning towards removing them and storing them separately but I thought it might make a good discussion point here plus an opportunity to learn about what others have seen.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Leatherman:
Charge TTI, Wave, Kick, Skeletool, Style, Brewster, Juice C2, PST II

Victorinox:
Sport, Driver, Tinker, Traveler Lite, Cybertool Lite, Swisschamp, XAVT

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Thoughts on storing SAKs with the batteries in them?
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 06:13:04 AM
No experience storing SAK's with batteries, but I would take them out to be sure they won't leak and ruin anything.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 06:25:10 AM
If long term storage, out goes the batteries.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:28:49 AM
I would take the battaries out.
Regards
Andetto

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:52 AM
they use regular button size batteries, so treat them as you would treat any other device with similar batteries in storage

Keeping them in - your time indication will be correct, your light will be ready to use and you do not risk breaking the knife whilst replacing the battery.

Keeping them out - they should retain more charge (unless you keep them out for a few years) and they cannot cause any damage by leaking or short circuiting

For something that I would not realistically use ever and do not care about displaying its functions to people I would remove the battery.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 11:43:07 AM
Some day the batteries will leak. Probably it will take years. But decay is inevitable. It's called 'entropy'....

ca Offline ctstannard

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 08:40:58 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the input! Sounds good, I'll definitely remove them since I have my everyday SAKs already and this will just be a fun display piece for my office.

Keeping them in - your time indication will be correct, your light will be ready to use and you do not risk breaking the knife whilst replacing the battery.

May I ask why the caution about risking breaking the knife? Is there anything I should know before I remove the batteries? I read through the instructions and it looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:13:06 PM by ctstannard »
Leatherman:
Charge TTI, Wave, Kick, Skeletool, Style, Brewster, Juice C2, PST II

Victorinox:
Sport, Driver, Tinker, Traveler Lite, Cybertool Lite, Swisschamp, XAVT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30