Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman juice corkscrew

Offline Elasmonut

Leatherman juice corkscrew
on: June 14, 2021, 08:27:53 AM
So, this is more of a repair question but a lot of people here seem to know how to fix a multitool.
I have a leatherman juice xe6, now discontinued,
It has a been a good little tool for what it is, the pivot on the philips loosend up a bit a while back but some careful peening and vice squishing of the rivet sorted that, with only minor cosmetic damage to the rivet that I never bothered to tidy up.
My problem now is with the corkscrew, I used it to open a bottle of red a few weeks ago, it worked fine. I did not notice any issues at the time but on pulling it out today, the corkscrew now just flops around loosely, and will not stay closed I clearly bent or dented the little pivot. I dont want it to tear up my pocket, bag, or worse fingers when I carry it.
The problem Im having is it's not a through pin, it stops halfway through at the skeletonised frame in the middle. I tried putting a bit of steel in the file slot to support the back and giving it a few hammer whacks, enough to lightly deform the pin on the face side, no change. I also tried just squeezing in a vice to sqish it a little but didnt want to go too hard and mess up the other tools.
So has anyone one else had this issue with a juice?, and any ideas on how to fix it?
 I dont really have the tools or the inclination to dismantle it completely and start replacing rivets with screws, although that would be an awesome fix. I also figure being discontinued that a warranty claim would be deaed end.
The only other solution I could think of was simply cut off the corkscrew, I really wouldnt miss it much, but it seems a shame, to chop bits off what is other wise a very nice little tool.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Leatherman juice corkscrew
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 08:33:34 AM
I can't help with any repair advice, sorry, but if you don't mind losing the corkscrew functionality a reversible bodge might be to put a small dab of superglue in a strategic spot to hold it permanently closed.  That way if you ever decide to try a "proper" repair the components are still there to work with.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Elasmonut

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 08:51:45 AM
Hmmm not a terrible idea, thanks.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 11:46:09 AM
If the corkscrew flops around it sounds like it could be the spring breaking. I seem to recall them being a bit of a weak point. On the plus side I believe all tools use the same spring meaning it could be replaced with a spring from another model in the same series but that would still require disassembly.

I have not tried it myself but it might be worth contacting Leatherman and see what they advise. The Xe6 also seem to still be available online, probably while stocks last, so that might be a way of getting a new one (and perhaps selling whatever knife Leatherman considers a replacement if you send yours in).

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 08:46:29 PM
So, 99% sure that your problem is not with the rivet/pin, but rather with the spring bar for the corkscrew. It's has a square back and is held in place either flat or pointing up by lining up with a flat thin spring that runs the length of the tool (the outer most layer on the scale).

In the attached picture, it's the top spring. Good news is the picture is from a seller on ebay. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/184196845221?hash=item2ae2fccea5:g:5kUAAOSwdMheXvsS)

Bad news is, the seller is out of stock and since the Juice is riveted, it's a fairly complex repair involving drilling the current rivets out and either re-riveting or replacing with screws, which are hard to find in this size. If you do want advice on taking it apart let me know, I've done one to do some modifications, but it's not the easiest project.

* Juice Springs.jpg (Filesize: 29.91 KB)

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 08:48:36 PM
Also, the easiest fix here is to contact leatherman. Since it's discontinued, you'd get a different model, but they should replace it.

(If you want to do this, contact them before you try any repairs, which will void the warranty)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%