Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climbing Carabiner For Keys

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Climbing Carabiner For Keys
on: June 14, 2021, 10:43:12 PM
I recently lost my keys, and haven't been able to find them. Thankfully, most of the tools had been taken off at the time for cleaning.  Basically, the only thing that was lost that was expensive was my Buck Nano Bantam. I have one, as I bought a two-pack again to get a Cabela's exclusive orange full-size Bantam.  Figured I might as well just start another keyring.

I've been thinking about replacing the el-cheapo carabiner I used (camo, rated for 150 lbs.) with a proper locking screw-type locking carabiner; intended for climbing; or according to the manufacturer (Skedco/SMC) high angle/rope rescue.  Is this overkill, or a good idea? The old carabiner became impromptu rigging working on the farm a lot; when dragging stuff like tree limbs with chains and straps. And, I need some help understanding the kilonewton system rating for strength.

https://skedco.com/product/smc-skedco-nfpa-aluminum-locking-d-camouflage/

And because threads are useless without pics:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Climbing Carabiner For Keys
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 10:53:46 PM
Na, nothing wrong with it, I mean I used to get those other cheap ones that everyone else gets, ones that say there rated for like the 150lbs but not intended for climbing, but then I found one that was for climbing, had a lock on it, was a little bit bigger then what I was used to but hey what ever your comfortable with! Of course I have no clue where that disappeared to but I use something diff now,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 02:16:52 AM

I have two.  I used them for years but I am no longer a fan of attaching to my belt loops ( not that I had any issues ).  I use my belt to hang stuff off. 

I have both locking and wire gate. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 02:18:45 AM
Types. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 04:58:31 AM
Here's what I've bought.  Not for climbing, but it's darn secure for key rings.  Makes a nice paracord key keeper.

But if you frequently use it for actual work, go with the Skedco.
Screenshot_20210614-225131.jpg
* Screenshot_20210614-225131.jpg (Filesize: 55.86 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 06:36:30 AM
I've been thinking about replacing the el-cheapo carabiner I used (camo, rated for 150 lbs.) with a proper locking screw-type locking carabiner; intended for climbing; or according to the manufacturer (Skedco/SMC) high angle/rope rescue.  Is this overkill, or a good idea? The old carabiner became impromptu rigging working on the farm a lot; when dragging stuff like tree limbs with chains and straps. And, I need some help understanding the kilonewton system rating for strength.

If it were strictly for keys, I would say overkill.  Since you actually do use it for rigging, I would say good idea, with the understanding that it will be larger and heavier than what you had before.

As for the kilonewton conversion, it is straightforward, with 1 kilonewton (kN) = 224.8 pounds.  Also, note that climbing carabiners generally have three ratings:  a major [long] axis rating [with gate closed], a minor [short] axis rating [with gate closed], and a [major axis] open gate rating.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 04:03:53 PM
Both my biners are aluminum and lightweight.  They are as Nate says, larger that regular biners, quite a bit so  Nice simple conversion Nate  :tu:.  I've used a simple ones as I mention in the past and they've done a good job.  Since getting climbing ones there is a big difference in them. 

While I don't use mine for climbing I have used them for some ladder work.  Securing my ladder with a length of paracord and using them as a pulley.  Nothing too heavy but a nice option when needed.   
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 05:34:40 PM
For just carrying keys, I too do think it maybe a little too robust with the larger size and heavier weight, but I can see how some of the climber friends may benefit from having spare carabiner with them. 

But please do beware those carabiners are really meant for climbing, so rigging equipment maybe a different story(with chains and heavy loads), and would hate to see them fail and cause injury.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 10:18:53 PM
I don't think you would go wrong with a rated for climbing biner, but I echo Comis' caution. At my old work they had heavy duty biners as part of the ceiling crane systems, they probably don't come in nice colours but would be a closer match for intended use perhaps?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 11:14:45 PM

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 08:14:15 PM
Types. 

Great video! Thanks for sharing!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 08:46:47 PM
Thanks guys.

I did find these from Wichard. These have a considerably larger working load,  are smaller, and are steel.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/wichard--stainless-steel-safety-snap-hooks--P002_060_002_005?recordNum=4

Also this.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/wichard--stainless-steel-snap-hooks--P002_060_002_004?recordNum=9

The second one to me is better simple because the wire gate sits in the notch.  I've had some unintended openings with the wire gates like the first picture. 

I have an Omega similar to the one in the link https://www.walmart.com/ip/Omega-Pacific-Lite-Locking-D-Carabiner/48340870

The ratings on mine are 34 major axis and 10/10 on gate and minor axis.  Its light but large.   

I also have a Black Diamond Neutrino like this https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-neutrino-carabiner

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 01:51:44 AM

FYI, security in some restricted areas (courthouse, etc) may not allow carabiners because they can be used as improvised brass knuckles.

Below is a link about carabiner strength. 

https://www.commonclimber.com/carabiner-strength-ratings.html

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 02:20:38 AM
FYI, security in some restricted areas (courthouse, etc) may not allow carabiners because they can be used as improvised brass knuckles.

Below is a link about carabiner strength. 

https://www.commonclimber.com/carabiner-strength-ratings.html
True, but we’re never in any places like that,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 03:11:07 AM
True, but we’re never in any places like that,
JR

For quite a while a few local hospitals had metal detectors.  I would always forget and have to go back out to the car.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 04:27:40 AM
I wear a medium sized pewter buckle and once in a while wonder if those places would object  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Shuya

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 11:36:56 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

My thoughts ( I do sport climbing, alpine climbing and mountaineering, so lots of biners involved):

- buy a smaller one. The one you mentioned is a full sized locking biner, there are also smaller ones on the marked, usually just locking variants of eg wire gate biners.

- screw gate biners have a tendency to unscrew when shaken. They will open like a non locking biner then. Might be worth a thought.

- safelock biners (ball-lock, twist-lock, twist and push-locks) are safe against opening, but might be clogged when dirt is involved. I have some 3way safelocks that do not lock anymore because of sand.

Oh, and one tip: NEVER, EVER oil your biners. Oil keeps dirt and sand inside, and you cant clean them. Use graphite dust instead.

I am very sure you have some sporting shop over there with a section of climing equipment. There you can check the size of the biners and buy one you like.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:45:10 AM by Shuya »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 03:37:21 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

My thoughts ( I do sport climbing, alpine climbing and mountaineering, so lots of biners involved):

I am very sure you have some sporting shop over there with a section of climing equipment. There you can check the size of the biners and buy one you like.

That’s my problem, if there is it must be out there, and both the Mrs and I are disabled and don’t drive, so in order to go shopping we walk to only the local stores, and it’s the one thing that sucks about online shopping unlike some things you really want to get a look and feel before buying it,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 03:39:18 PM
Huh, a double post..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 03:53:55 PM
Nice post Shuya.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Shuya

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 09:54:17 AM
So ive checked the european website of backcountry.com for smaller screw biners that I know and/or own myself:

Edelrid Pure Screw: https://www.bergfreunde.de/edelrid-pure-screw-schraubkarabiner/
DMM Phantom Screw: https://www.bergfreunde.de/dmm-phantom-schraubkarabiner/
CT Areal Pro Screwgate: https://www.bergfreunde.de/climbing-technology-aerial-pro-sg-schraubkarabiner/
BD Liteforce Screwgate: https://www.bergfreunde.de/black-diamond-liteforge-screwgate-carabiner-schraubkarabiner/
Ocun Hawk Screw: https://www.bergfreunde.de/ocun-hawk-screw-schraubkarabiner/

All of these are smaller biners with good quality.
Will hold your keys for sure, and even your weight.  :whistle:
Jokes aside, have a look at these. The small biners usually come with screwgates only because savelocks take up space which is not possible with small biners.
Other biners are way larger, may take a pic for reference when I come home if you like.

Note: these biners are small and too small for some applications. if you want to abseil using climbing ropes (usually about 10mm diameter) using the  Munter hitch,they will not work.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:01:42 AM by Shuya »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 11:26:29 AM
So ive checked the european website of backcountry.com for smaller screw biners that I know and/or own myself:

Edelrid Pure Screw: https://www.bergfreunde.de/edelrid-pure-screw-schraubkarabiner/
DMM Phantom Screw: https://www.bergfreunde.de/dmm-phantom-schraubkarabiner/
CT Areal Pro Screwgate: https://www.bergfreunde.de/climbing-technology-aerial-pro-sg-schraubkarabiner/
BD Liteforce Screwgate: https://www.bergfreunde.de/black-diamond-liteforge-screwgate-carabiner-schraubkarabiner/
Ocun Hawk Screw: https://www.bergfreunde.de/ocun-hawk-screw-schraubkarabiner/

All of these are smaller biners with good quality.
Will hold your keys for sure, and even your weight.  :whistle:
Jokes aside, have a look at these. The small biners usually come with screwgates only because savelocks take up space which is not possible with small biners.
Other biners are way larger, may take a pic for reference when I come home if you like.

Note: these biners are small and too small for some applications. if you want to abseil using climbing ropes (usually about 10mm diameter) using the  Munter hitch,they will not work.

Michael

Thanks for the suggestions.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 02:23:44 PM
Some nice ones, just have to figure everything out since I cant read it lol,, but thank you!
JR

de Offline Shuya

Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 02:59:52 PM
Some nice ones, just have to figure everything out since I cant read it lol,, but thank you!
JR

Thats why I mentioned the product names, you can search for them for local shops/online shops in your country.
I am sure most of them if not all are available overseas, too.
Just shortened some brand names. BD=Black Diamond, CT=Climbing Technology.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 15, 2021, 03:54:57 PM
Thats why I mentioned the product names, you can search for them for local shops/online shops in your country.
I am sure most of them if not all are available overseas, too.
Just shortened some brand names. BD=Black Diamond, CT=Climbing Technology.
Sorry, I just woke up when I posted that and I had a very poor nights sleep, “I’m” also renovating our kitchen so I’m a little  :ahhh if you understand.. but ty, I see what your saying and can look up the names, the BD rings a bell,,
JR

Offline jag-engr

Reply #25 on: September 02, 2021, 11:40:56 PM
I recently lost my keys, and haven't been able to find them.
Sorry to hear that - that is a frustrating experience.

I've been thinking about replacing the el-cheapo carabiner I used (camo, rated for 150 lbs.) with a proper locking screw-type locking carabiner...  Is this overkill, or a good idea?
That really depends on your key-carrying habits.  Personally, I try to keep my keys as slim as possible, so that I'm not inclined to take them out of my pocket and set them somewhere because they are too heavy.

I like the cheap titanium spring clips that you can get on ebay ($10~15).  They are featherweight, tactile, and intuitive. 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 11:25:34 AM
Since my previous post in this thread, I have replaced my old key carabiner with a load-rated one.  I chose the Black Diamond Miniwire, and it actually isn’t much larger than unrated carabiner it replaced.
IMG_8633.jpg
* IMG_8633.jpg (Filesize: 164.89 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: September 03, 2021, 03:20:26 PM
Nice find, I’m just not one for wire gates,
JR

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 04:47:37 PM
Overkill? of course it is, but that's irrelevant.  The question to ask is, does it work for you?  Does it get in the way?  Does it throw you off your stride?  Does it snag on things?   Are you comfortable with it?  Does it make you look fat?  ::)  Do you mind the sort of attention it might (will) draw or is that what you want?

I tried a full-sized 'biner as a key ring, it didn't work, too much bulk.  It did work on my bag as a dedicated key holder.  I've since switched to a different system. 
I knew some one who had all his keys on a climbers 'biner forever.  The gate spring wore out from years of constant use.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 07:59:23 AM
I think manufacturers of climbing carabiners are missing the boat. If they made a 1/2 size climbing carabiner specifically for keychain or small gear use they would sell really well. I’d love to have a 1/2 size Petzl locking carabiner.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%