Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I did something dumb

us Offline Steelej1976

I did something dumb
on: June 15, 2021, 01:01:51 AM
So I was working in the yard and I used my Super Tinker main blade to cut out the grass around my drains.  I totally dulled out the blade.  I tried to sharpen it with one of those crappy pull through sharpener and that didn't work at all.  I went and bought a Smith's 3 stone system and I ended up using the stones and free hand sharpening them and got the Super Tinker back to hair shaving sharp! 

I am kinda shocked I got it back to near factory sharpeness.  I just wanted to share my mistake and solution for it.  Ok PSA over

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: I did something dumb
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:13:20 AM
Yup.  SAK steel comes back nicely.  The "softness" is part of the steel character.  Yard work and SAKs are a good combination of what can dull the edge quickly.  I tend to use 440 or plain old carbon.  Nice work on the free hand sharpening.  Thats a great skill to posses.   :like: :tu: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:21:53 AM
I have not had good luck with pull through sharpeners either.  I’m not very good with free hand but better than the pull through sharpeners I’ve used.

Good job fixing it.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 04:45:29 AM
It's funny that Victorinox only sells pull through sharpeners.
I have seen that their Dual Sharpener supposedly works though.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:26:35 AM
The dual sharpener works well, only use the pull through for final honing, use the ceramic rod to re shape the edge - I’m no master knife sharpener, but I get a good edge easily with the dual sharpener! :tu:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:05:14 AM
Dumb? No, I don't think so. You just used the knife blade for what it was made for: Cutting!

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:21:25 AM
Dumb? No, I don't think so. You just used the knife blade for what it was made for: Cutting!

Thanks, I felt dumb because I thought it was just grass but I ended up hitting quite a bit of sand and dirt.  I should have used a different tool.  I was mad how bad I beat up the blade and dull I had made it.  I am happy I got the blade functional again though and I learned to sharpen it pretty effectively. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 03:32:05 PM
 :salute:.  Its such a good thing to know how to do.  I use an old hickory in my yard which works great.  Opinel also is a good yard knife for small tasks.  Now that you can get your SAK edge back to sharp theres no stopping what you can put your SAK thru  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:40:27 PM
Nothing wrong with using the heck out of a blade, that's what they're there for! (Just resharpen it before attempting brain surgery or something else that requires a proper edge!)

I think every SAK owner should have one of those Spyderco triangular sharpening rods. They're incredibly simple to use. Mine is Fine (as in coarseness) and it's really all I need for such soft blades. For a really knackered edge, a coarser stick would be good to start with. But over all, I totally recommend those Spyderco ceramic sticks, which are about 20 bucks /euros individually.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 03:25:40 AM
I’ve had fantastic results with the Spyderco Sharpmaker for the last 20 years. I can’t recommend them enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 02:28:42 PM
SAK steel might not be the highest end offering, but any idiot (read, me) can sharpen it. I just have a couple old Arkansas stones, and a double sided Carborundum in a wood box that had to have been made before World War II. For regular touch-ups, I have plenty of short pieces of what used to be long crock sticks with wooden handles before they got dropped, which ended up producing great little pocket touch up sticks.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 04:59:45 PM
I use diamond hones for reshaping, but just use emory paper on a paint paddle for most sharpening - 400 grit, 600, 1000, finish with1500 for a polished edge (good for brain surgery).  Obviously draw away from the edge, but keep proper bevel angle. Emory paper works great, is cheap and excellent for softer steels. :D

Rich
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:04:52 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 05:12:39 PM
I use an Arkansas stone or the Fallkniven DC4.

I need to sharpen my EDC SAK once a week. I guess I´m doing a lot of dumb things  ;).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 06:27:38 PM
I've picked up a couple Arkansas stones.  I also picked up a straight razor stone with two sides.  My go to is the Sharp Maker.  Badly dulled or flea market damaged blades get treated to a diamond plate.  I try to remove as little as possible when I do touch up a blade so regular stropping is my friend.  Ceramic rods are next.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 07:20:29 PM
SAK blades are one of the easiest to sharpen with a whetstone. That's part of what makes these knives awesome for EDC.

In my opinion of course. :climber:

us Offline RoccoT.31

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 07:56:43 PM
I bought the victorinox sharpener 3 weeks ago and a  Leather strop. They are great. I've sharpen all 20 of my pocket knives and all my kitchen knives. Stropping is the trick to not have to sharpen your knives. A good strop will bring back the blade to scary sharpen in 5 mins  :climber:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 01:16:00 AM
I bought the victorinox sharpener 3 weeks ago and a  Leather strop.
Rocco, what leather strop did you get?

I'm new to sharpening so would love to get a recommendation. I already have the Vic Dual Knife Sharpener, if that's the one you have.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

00 Offline Greyman

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 02:05:05 PM
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a good, simple to use product and gives great results on SAKs. I've done blades, scissors and awls, even can openers.

us Offline RoccoT.31

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 02:26:14 PM
Rocco, what leather strop did you get?

I'm new to sharpening so would love to get a recommendation. I already have the Vic Dual Knife Sharpener, if that's the one you have.

I purchased the BeaverCraft Leather Paddle Strop 9 x 3 IN with Polishing Compound from Amazon. And the dual vic knife sharpener. Highly recommended. Yesterday I received 5 used translucent classics. took scales off, super cleaned them, polished them, and made them all sharpened enough to shave hair off my arm. :cheers:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 06:48:32 PM

I purchased the BeaverCraft Leather Paddle Strop 9 x 3 IN with Polishing Compound from Amazon. And the dual vic knife sharpener. Highly recommended. Yesterday I received 5 used translucent classics. took scales off, super cleaned them, polished them, and made them all sharpened enough to shave hair off my arm. :cheers:
Thank you, Rocco!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 07:08:03 PM
You didn’t do anything dumb. Just acquired some new skills and gear.  :tu:

I use a Vic Hawksbill for similar purposes around sprinkler heads and sharpen it about every other time I use it. The tip takes a beating, but that’s what I have it for. In a pinch, I’ll use whatever SAK I have on me, but take a bit more care in avoiding tip contact with the dirt and the concrete sidewalk.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%