Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review AND badge request: DFSX Carabiner multi tool

us Offline Old Happy Tiger

Review AND badge request: DFSX Carabiner multi tool
on: August 17, 2022, 05:34:35 PM
*It’s later in the morning somewhere in South Eastern, U.S.A…. A man thinks outloud with his new carabiner multi tool in hand “this is not the carabiner that I remember, but I’ll carry it anyway...”

NOTE: This review doubles as a Badge request: Carabiner User
Start a new thread with photos of your carabiners in use

This is a review of the DFSX Carabiner multi tool. I bought TWO of these off of Amazon for $4.99 USD. I was initally half and half doing this review as a few years back, I use to own this same shaped carabiner multi tool and I lost it. The picture on Amazon was the same one as that I lost.  However these two are WAY thinner in metal and not as thick. They are also silver and not brownish looking like one that I lost. That being said, I’m trying to review this carabiner as different brand new-to-me as to remove any bias and give it a fair review.

What we have is the carabiner multi tool that is made from chinese 3CR13 steel which is very corrosive resistant, as it has a high amount of chromium and very low amount of carbon. It’s close to the same as  420j2 steel and AUS-4 steel. The tool has a philips head and straight edge screw drivers, a seat belt / cord cutter that also can act as a bottle opener. A serrated edge that IS sharp and also dual sided not just one sided so that is nice to see. There is some sort of metric nuts sockets there in the middle that are numbered 5 thru 14 in size. There is also straight edge that has a very small ruler printed on one side. This straight edge is NOT sharp which is half good as it depends on how the end user is going to carry this. It does have a starter edge and being a softer steel it would not take a lot of time using a medium grit sharpening stone to a fine grit to get a workable edge IF needed. Even in a survival situation taking a regular flat stone from the ground, or using flat concrete like on a sidewalk or road, you could make this into a workable one sided cutting edge.

As you see in my picture, I have this clipped to my belt loop of my pants, close to my hip. It’s light weight, and I don’t even know it’s there. Where I live, knives can be carried concealed and there is NO knife length limits (yes, we are lucky down here). However to note, this NOT a knife.. It’s a carabiner and it can also be considered a rescue tool as it DOES have that seatbelt cutter. So if you live in a very knife restricted state or country, check your local laws as always.. But this may be a great option for you.

a.jpg
* a.jpg (Filesize: 284.44 KB)

I’ve cut paracord with the serrated cutter and that works great. I also have used both screw drivers and those work for certain sized screws. The seatbelt / cord cutter I need to take a small round diamond file to it.. it’s not bad, but it could be way better.    

TIP 1) I’m also practicing today removing this from my pants belt loop without looking at it. I recommend if you want to carry this way, DO practice that. As you never know if you’ll be in a situation that warrants your ability to do that. As my other reviews have said, I’ve work for a very long time in security as well as being in certain emergencies (natural / other).. Carrying this is something that I’ll be doing going forward as it’s low profile, VERY light and can always be accessed by me.

TIP 2) You could also could use some velcro wire ties, and carry this horizontally (scout style) on your belt, if you look at my picture below, the multi tool is just a little bit wider than an average belt.

b.jpg
* b.jpg (Filesize: 343.56 KB)

Also to add, if you have any of those Altoids tins to carry your smaller gear, this fits right in without any issues.

Pros:
Light weight great for carrying on belt or even on keychain. 

Tools work, dual sided serrated blade is SHARP.

Low cost option for knife restrictive locations.

Cons:

Seat belt cutter needs to be re-honed a bit more

Straight cutting edge needs to be re-profiled and re-honed if needed

Both screwdrivers are not for smaller screws

Conclusion: Again, as a new-to-me carabiner, it still has potential and is useful for the low price point that it is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 06:22:07 PM by Old Happy Tiger »
"One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep."

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Review AND badge request: DFSX Carabiner multi tool
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 05:06:49 AM
Another great and detailed review! :tu: Though the carabiner function would be of no use to me (my pants have very wide belt loops), the low price point could make it a worthwhile OPT choice.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 12:31:33 PM
Another great and detailed review! :tu: Though the carabiner function would be of no use to me (my pants have very wide belt loops), the low price point could make it a worthwhile OPT choice.

Thanks    :hatsoff:  Maybe a small piece of electrical tape on the serrated edge and front shirt pocket carry may be a better option? Electrical tape good for simple removal and reapply..  duct tape. Just an idea.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 04:07:11 PM
Badge duly awarded  :salute: :drink:
They don't like it up 'em!

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 12:05:44 PM
Badge duly awarded  :salute: :drink:

Thank You Sir  :hatsoff:  I hope the weather stays cooler over where you are... I saw a lot of reports a few weeks ago. -OHT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 05:57:52 PM
Thank You Sir  :hatsoff:  I hope the weather stays cooler over where you are... I saw a lot of reports a few weeks ago. -OHT

You are most welcome  ;) The weather has cooled down a bit here thanks  :tu: It'll be snowing soon  :rofl:
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD