Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit XC durability?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Swisstool Spirit XC durability?
on: June 30, 2021, 09:54:18 AM
Fellow knights,

I was never much of a pliers-based multitool man. Some years ago my father gifted me a Leatherman Rebar, which I have never carried nor really used. Now, in view of the Swisstool Spirit XC being discontinued, I got myself one at a bargain price. I intended just to have it for my collection but after toying with it a bit, I find it reaaaally nice. It's hard to put a finger on it, but it just seems so much smoother than the Leatherman and so strongly oozes quality that I am seriously considering giving it a try in lieu of a SAK once in a while.

Against this backgrond, I wonder how durable the tool is? Given that I cannot get another at anywhere near the same price, I would rather avoid getting a spare and just contend myself with this one. But to make it an user I would need to be able to count on it keeping up with the challenges of EDC life (mostly urban light duty, but challenging situations might occur on hikes, during vacations or other situations where no toolbox is in sight) without going belly up.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? In this context, I noticed you cannot replace the wire cutter in this tool - is that a potential weak point? Also, I read somewhere the Philips SD is too soft and therefore gets damaged easily? And how prone to scratches is it when carried around in a pocket (without sheath)?

I am not planning on re-selling this fine tool, but I would still like to maintain it in a condition which makes me happy to handle it. So if there is any doubt it could take some abuse without deteriorating in an obvious manner, I would rather keep it in my desk. It's crazy, I know, but many of you know how it is...  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:38:56 PM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Swisstool Spirit XC durability?
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 04:07:47 PM
I use my Spirit everyday at work and I can tell ya if you would mind in the slightest way any use wear then keep it tucked away.  I do understand those who like their tools without blemish  :tu:

What I can also tell you is that this tool is very capable and with daily use its surprisingly still good looking.  I'm sure with a little polish the exterior could be brought back to a somewhat scratches shine. 

The phillips is soft and will deform.  Its hard to capture the picture but there is clear signs of the flutes being worn down. 

IMG_2568.jpg
* IMG_2568.jpg (Filesize: 130.32 KB)
IMG_2569.jpg
* IMG_2569.jpg (Filesize: 135.62 KB)
IMG_2570.jpg
* IMG_2570.jpg (Filesize: 142.13 KB)
IMG_2571.jpg
* IMG_2571.jpg (Filesize: 113.65 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 05:03:08 PM
What Aloha said. Supremely functional and durable, but it will show use which is the same for any well used tool  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 06:57:54 PM
 :ahhh

Thanks for the input, guys, that's what I needed to hear. I don't mind wear and tear too much on the SAKs I use, it's part of their lifecycle. But since I normally don't use pliers-based multitools and get along without them just fine, I guess I will rather keep the Swisstool as a drawer queen. It would be sad to see that nice polished surface all scratched up and I am not too keen on screwing up the screw driver either. Pity though, it's such a nice item.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:14:45 PM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 11:22:53 PM
 :salute:

Pick up a regular Swisstool Spirit and use the heck out of it.  I also have a Swisstool thats pretty well used.  The red paint is all but gone.  Its lives in my garage and gets used like I stole it. 

There are some tools I just cannot use so I completely understand.  I have enough that I do use so I don't feel bad having them as shelf queens. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD