Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK shipping for blades items…

Offline Helvetica Bold

UK shipping for blades items…
on: October 19, 2023, 04:25:23 PM
Ebay UK hasn’t shipped bladed items for while now but that wasn’t the end of the world as Etsy and other stores seemed quite happy to. However, it now seems that they have also stopped shipping here from overseas at least! Essentially that would mean we have a very limited pool of suppliers for the sourcing of old/used/vintage/rare knives for collections or modding. Has anyone else noticed that we have diminishing  options for SAKs by post from overseas here?

gb Offline stoer

Re: UK shipping for blades items…
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 06:05:02 PM
Occasionally I have seen SAKs come up on some of the auction houses sites but generally these are not specific if you're looking for a particular model.

Unfortunately the fear mongering that is generated from the "knife culture" in the UK means that whilst half the youth of today allegedly seem to be carrying machetes and Rambo blades for their own sadistic pleasure, the majority have to contend with the restrictions imposed by the Government leaving us only able to buy a SAK enamel pin badge on fleabay  ::)

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 09:05:28 PM
That is bad news, HB, as I managed to get a few interesting knives via Etsy over the past few years. Even UK retailers are forced to ask for your proof of age - utterly potty as legal carry knives are not the problem and never have been……

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 12:36:01 AM
Well, looks like it’s flea markets and car boot sales for a lucky find here or there! The Southam auction also throws up a lots of SAKs sometimes ( as well as many other interesting items) so I guess we’ll just have to be a bit more creative in our hunt for the oldies ;0)

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 06:49:15 AM
Auction houses will ship, there are, as we know, rules about posting/shipping "bladed articles" but, of course auction houses are familiar with this as many antiques fit into that category.

This has been a worry for a while and it is sad that what, effectively, is a hobby for so many, is being damaged by a few irresponsible people that think using knifes as weapons and stars symbols rather than tools somehow makes them a "bigger" person.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 02:44:43 PM
…it is sad that what, effectively, is a hobby for so many, is being damaged by a few irresponsible people that think using knifes as weapons and stars symbols rather than tools somehow makes them a "bigger" person.

If I might make an observation without veering directly into politics, it is the government regulations that are actually doing this damage.

The fact that some people choose to use knives as weapons is merely the “justification” for these over-broad and overbearing laws.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 09:19:19 AM
I think that is a very fair point  :iagree:

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 12:28:06 PM
I think one leads to the other to a degree. I suspect that many more people are stabbed with kitchen knives than Swiss Army knives (who would even consider it with a slip joint!) but I understand why the same legislation would apply to all blades. I’ve got no problem with age verification as such but the extra red tape will just lead to more and more companies either charging more or withdrawing product lines from certain territories as we are already seeing.

The daft thing of course is that whatever age you are you can still get hold of a knife, or pointed object like as screwdriver, with next to no effort at all.

It’s a serious debate of course but if you are of a mind to attack someone with a weapon you will find a way and if your are not then ease of acquiring probably won’t change your outlook.

I don’t want kids going round stabbing each other though so if research dictates otherwise I will bow to that if it saves even one course….I’m just not sure it does.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 03:18:54 PM
I agree with the age verification although, my experience of it is that it is rarely actually asked for. A couple of times when I have order from Heinnie's (they send out with the knife symbol etc that requires a signature) the post has not asked for age verification/date of birth. So, although I wholly approve of the age verification system, clearly it is not always enforced at point of delivery.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 03:19:19 PM
I agree with the age verification although, my experience of it is that it is rarely actually asked for. A couple of times when I have order from Heinnie's (they send out with the knife symbol etc that requires a signature) the post has not asked for age verification/date of birth. So, although I wholly approve of the age verification system, clearly it is not always enforced at point of delivery.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%