Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My favorite EDC Watch

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
My favorite EDC Watch
on: July 17, 2021, 02:04:45 PM
I keep coming back to my Casio Protrek PRW-6000 as my most worn EDC watch.

I've had it a few years, but whenever I'm looking for a no-nonsense functional every-day beater, this one comes out tops.

Features I like in order of preference:
- clear analog dial with high-contrast, skeletonized hands with blacked-out tails
- solar powered
- comfortable on the wrist
- attractive, tool-watch design
- tough design, 100m WR
- good lume with dedicated LED night illumination button (LED integrated below 6 o'clock index)
- Ana-digi design, with separate positive matrix digital display
- stainless steel fixed bezel slightly raised above flat glass
- easy to use key functions, for me the timer, stopwatch and fast-set crown
- great value-add features, including a compass, altimeter, barometer with trend graph, temp, alarm, hourly signal, world time and atomic timekeeping

I live outside the range of of the US, Europe and Asian radio transmitters, but the timekeeping is excellent (a few seconds fast per month), and it's easy to sync manually when needed.

I don't really have any complaints. I do prefer sapphire glass, but the flat mineral glass is tough and has not picked up any scratches, probably because the bezel is a little raised. For quick timing, I miss a rotating bezel, but the stopwatch is easy enough to access. It's clearly not a dress watch, but it looks smart enough for everyday wear.

Casio Protrek is often over-shadowed by the G-Shock range, but I believe anyone looking for a reliable, multi-function watch should definitely give this range a look.

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline powernoodle

Re: My favorite EDC Watch
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:03:03 PM
After getting acquainted with a solar/atomic Casio, its difficult to go back to a lesser watch.  I too own a Protrek and its a fine watch.

Today I'm rocking a budget Casio AQS810W.  Good looks, nice, deep 3D display, and solar at only $35 on Amazon.  No atomic feature, but I sync it to time.gov regularly.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:10:45 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 03:27:26 PM
Nice Protrek and EDC gear there powernoodle  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 07:54:20 PM
 :salute: :salute: :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 01:23:15 PM
I believe a watch tells people a little about yourself. However, my lately go to watch...I am not sure what it tells folks about myself, let alone what it tells me about me.  :think:

I have given this a long and hard thought, and I figure I am definitely my father's son the older I get. You see, my father looked like a godawful pirate or a Mr. T. He loved gold and loved wearing it. He grew up rough and poor, and felt that wearing gold was a sign that you made it. When he was older, he like to wear it. I was a little embarrassed about it when I was a kid. Consequently I never wear jewelry. I do like watches...about as much as my Dad did. That is about as far as my bling brings me. However, as I am getting older, I find I have a bit of my father's blinginess in me. Consequently, after doing my wear a new watch each day thread in here, I consequently go for this watch most of the times. As if the Tauchmeister 1937 Military Time watch wasn't showy enough, I replaced the resin band with an in your face attention getter stone band from a cheap watch. Yes, it is blinding when the sun hits it. It is about as out there as you can get, and I am not an out there kinda guy.

The watch is lovely. Here is why I like it so much.

1. It is an automatic...no worries of batteries.
2. A nice 1000m diver with helium escape valve.
3. The whole face is luminescent, but the hands are much like the Seiko divers in brightness and duration.
4. The replacement band is metal and an attention getter.
5. The watch is big and heavy.
6. 24 hour time that is super easy to read.
7.The crown is located almost at the 4 o'clock position. This makes the watch super comfortable to wear.

20210718_063917A by Chako, on Flickr

20210718_063932A by Chako, on Flickr

Yes, this is the loud ostentatious watch I will mostly grab to wear outside. I am turning into my father as time goes on...or a crow.  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 02:55:25 PM
The combination works Chako  :like:
The square design of the bracelet matches the square, notched bezel. And the dial is a sure attention grabber!
It certainly looks like a watch you'll feel on your wrist, but looks like it would survive a tsunami.  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 03:12:05 PM
Thanks.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 04:20:25 PM
Now thats fun Chako.  Love that dad sported gold to the extent of looking like a pirate.  Long ago we had a friend who dad came to the US with literally nothing but the clothes on his back and an opportunity.  Decades of hard work and some amazing opportunities he "made" it.  He purchased a home first then spent money on gold.  He was noted for wearing heavy gold chains like the rappers of the 80s/90s.  He wore gold rings and heavy gold bracelets.  He bought gold for his wife and kids.  Gold prices then vs now I'd say not a bad investment tho that was not his intention.

My go to for many years is G7700 for work.  Its been bullet proof.  I only use it as a work watch.   

IMG_2650.jpg
* IMG_2650.jpg (Filesize: 135.83 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 04:30:37 PM
Sounds a lot like my father. :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 08:56:22 PM
My go to for many years is G7700 for work.  Its been bullet proof.  I only use it as a work watch.
The G7700 has built a loyal following over the lat 10+ years. A lot of people like the ability to show 3 time zones on the display  :salute:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 11:28:46 PM
Such beautiful watches in this topic  :like:.

The Pro-Trek series have always been one of my favorites.  A little less conspicuous as their G-Shock family members, and less known to the big public. 

My taste in watches has also changed with getting older, or should I say broadened...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 06:36:52 AM
Sounds a lot like my father. :D

Love it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 06:38:14 AM
The G7700 has built a loyal following over the lat 10+ years. A lot of people like the ability to show 3 time zones on the display  :salute:

:salute:

I don't anything bad to say about this workhorse.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 11:37:56 PM
Badge awarded  :woohoo: Congrats :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 08:05:10 PM
Awesome! Thank you Poncho  :2tu:

Even though I have a few choices, I still wear the ProTrek as my daily driver...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%