Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Bit of Advice Please

us Offline tekin112000

A Bit of Advice Please
on: July 15, 2021, 10:21:31 PM
I have owned a SOG Power Assist for many years. I love this tool even if it is a shelf queen that hides in my car glove box.

I have never been able to deploy the main blade easily. The assist button just nudges the blade a bit and I use a second hand to pull the blade rest of the way.

I have inspected and oiled the joint but it does get any easier to open.

Same goes for the saw blade

Any advice?

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A Bit of Advice Please
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:19 PM
If you nudge the thumb-stud (on the blade) until the blade is about 20 degrees out, the assist action should take over and the blade should flick open and lock.
It's quite a long initial action before getting to the point where the assist takes over, and it's easy to end up dragging your thumb on the blade and it fails to deploy fully.
If I check the spring loading, it only starts from about 20 degrees to just after 90 degrees, so not the strongest or longest assist.
How 'free' is the blade in the arc once the assist starts? I guess if you have any drag (from dirt or miss-alignment) the blade won't get enough momentum to deploy.
Maybe a good soak and rinse?

Edit: forgot to point out...pressing on the unlock lever won't deploy the blade properly. I know that's probably what you're not doing, but the design of the Power Assist is not very intuitive.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:15:13 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 04:59:52 AM
Shoot SOG a email. They are top notch in their CS dept. Well at least every time I’ve had an issue they fixed it quick. Even when I was the one who messed it up, they charged me a small amount to replace the scales on an auto knife, so I consider that top notch.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline tekin112000

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 04:30:48 PM
Max, you may be on to something

I have been trying to deploy the blade with the button NOT the thumb stud on the blade

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 08:49:34 PM
Glad I could be of assistance  :D  :D  :D
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%