Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your favorite tools for a 2-layer alox SAK?

Offline Jellyfists

Hey guys,
I could really use some input.
For my next project, I decided to build a 2-layer alox SAK for my dad.
He wants a light, compact SAK. The large blade and can opener are the tools he uses most, so they are mandatory. But I am wondering what other tools to put in.
He likes a smaller second blade, so I might put an electricians blade in there.
At the moment my plan is to take a pioneer, and swap the cap lifter for an electricians blade.

Am I missing some really useful tools, or combination thereof? What would you do for a 2-layer alox SAK, besides the large blade and can opener?

Offline ComboTool

Re: What are your favorite tools for a 2-layer alox SAK?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 03:54:01 PM
The electricians blade will not fit perfectly in place of the cap lifter. I'm afraid  it may drop too low (although I'm not sure, you'll have to test it) and the nail nick will be inaccessible (it will be on the side of the main blade). There is a version of the electrician blade that goes opposite the main blade, you could try to locate one of these and keep the opener layer untouched.

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:09:28 PM
Good point. I hadn’t thought of that yet.
Hmm, have to think that through some more. What model has that electricians blade?
And on a different note: Is there a version of the combo tool that would fit in the 93mm format?

Offline ComboTool

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 04:34:36 PM
It's in the Pioneer Apprentice.
I have no experience with combo tools in 93mm but I assume that you need the 91mm combo tool, the 84mm one should sit too low (as it does in a 91mm frame).

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 04:58:25 PM
Not sure if possible, because I've never modded a SAK, but from the perspective of user with a good number of them, in your case I'd take a Pioneer X, put the can opener on the place of the awl and just ditch the cap lifter. Also grind out the key ring attachment. So it would become 2 layer 93mm alox with knife and can opener first layer, scissors second layer.
P.P. I am now watching at my Pioneer, seems that the key ring attachment sits on a spacer that if removed will make enough space for the can opener. So no key ring without grinding and, at least at the pivot end, there would be room for the other tool. I'm concerned about the other end though. But, depending on the tools or machines you have (or friends with such assets and knowledge) there seems to be enough material to dig the inside of the scale just enough.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:04:48 PM by DavisNikolov »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 04:59:31 PM
Hey guys,
I could really use some input.
For my next project, I decided to build a 2-layer alox SAK for my dad.
He wants a light, compact SAK. The large blade and can opener are the tools he uses most, so they are mandatory. But I am wondering what other tools to put in.
He likes a smaller second blade, so I might put an electricians blade in there.
At the moment my plan is to take a pioneer, and swap the cap lifter for an electricians blade.

Am I missing some really useful tools, or combination thereof? What would you do for a 2-layer alox SAK, besides the large blade and can opener?

My ideal pioneer would have the small blade in place of the awl.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 06:41:26 PM
I might try putting a 91mm small blade, or an electricians of pruning blade, in place of the awl.
If that would work, I’d still have the option to change out the cap lifter for something else. But for what?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 11:40:18 AM
I might try putting a 91mm small blade, or an electricians of pruning blade, in place of the awl.
If that would work, I’d still have the option to change out the cap lifter for something else. But for what?

Why not just get him an Electrician?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 04:56:02 PM
He wants the can opener, but not (necessarily) the cap lifter

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 08:10:43 PM
You’ll also have to worry about where the nail nicks are. If you start moving things around chances are you won’t be able to open the tools without first either creating a new nail nick or opening another tool to get to it.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 05:44:01 PM
Any tips as to how to create a new nail nick? Grind it with a rotary tool? What tool and what diameter would work best?

Does anyone know if a 91mm small blade fits a 93mm frame?

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 06:25:56 AM
Long before  knew there was an Electrician I bought a Rancher which substitutes a pruner blade for the can opener. But i soon found out that that I didn't like the pruner so I carefully ground it down into  a sheepsfoot. Rarely use the can opener but if I need one it will be in camp at meal time and I have another SAK in my pack.
Perception is reality

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 08:30:24 PM
After some tinkering today, I think I’ll probably go for a pioneer, but replace the awl with an electrician’s blade.
Just have to wait for new scales, make a brass liner, and then put it all together. I think it’s going to be nice.

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 12:59:03 PM
The electrician’s blade bends the wrong way unfortunately, so I ended up with a Pioneer but replaced the awl with a 91mm small blade.
Changed the scales for titanium ones by w3rktrieb (Etsy) which are awesome. Changed the aluminum liner for a brass one for a subtle bit of ‘bling’.

[

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 04:28:19 PM
The electrician’s blade bends the wrong way unfortunately, so I ended up with a Pioneer but replaced the awl with a 91mm small blade.
Changed the scales for titanium ones by w3rktrieb (Etsy) which are awesome. Changed the aluminum liner for a brass one for a subtle bit of ‘bling’.

Looks great, it became a Recruit in a beefier package. If you dare to try, some people seem to have been able to bend their pruning blades to fit and I imagine the same should be possible for the Electricians blade. Search around the mod squad subforum for instructions.

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 05:58:56 PM
Thanks. I might try that. I did in fact try that a little, but I just wouldn’t yield. Was too scared of breaking it to try harder. I will have a look here to see how others have done this.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2021, 06:55:11 PM
Maybe the 84mm Promark Radio Shack electricians blade would work?  The nick on those sit a bit higher IIRC.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%