Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Electronic scales SAKs - long term EDC experiences?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Fellow knights,

Given that I carry the Traveller Lite more and more often recently,
I wonder if/how long the electronic scales will last when EDC'ed in a pocket. Any users with long term experiences out there?

Two things I keep wondering about in particular:

Do the cut-outs in the front liner have anything to do with the barometric altimeter and will its functionality therefore be affected when the SAK is EDC'ed in a pocket and becomes gunky as a consequence?

Will the scales suffer in your pocket if you get into wet conditions, in particular rain, where your pants might get soaked?

Thanks for sharing your experiences and any recommendations for EDC use of electronic scales SAKs!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:12:55 AM by Simon_Templar »

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Electronic scales SAKs - long term EDC experiences?
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 01:53:55 PM
Hi Simon, I have not EDC'd mine much, but I did quite a bit of research on these models a while back when collecting them.

The scale cut-out is likely to be a packaging constraint related to surface-mount components, to keep the scales as thin as possible, and not the pressure/temp sensor. The circuit board has conformal coating to protect the components from long-term corrosion, so it will survive short-term exposure to moisture and even complete submersion, but it's recommended to remove the battery and let the SAK dry completely should it get wet or need cleaning.

Other than taking a little more care around very wet conditions, I expect you should be able to EDC any of the digital scale models as you would any other SAK.  :tu:

EDIT: Found the reference to this in a Vic document below:
Screenshot 2021-07-06 141331.jpg
* Screenshot 2021-07-06 141331.jpg (Filesize: 52.24 KB)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 02:13:54 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 12:14:14 AM
Hi Simon, I have not EDC'd mine much, but I did quite a bit of research on these models a while back when collecting them.

The scale cut-out is likely to be a packaging constraint related to surface-mount components, to keep the scales as thin as possible, and not the pressure/temp sensor. The circuit board has conformal coating to protect the components from long-term corrosion, so it will survive short-term exposure to moisture and even complete submersion, but it's recommended to remove the battery and let the SAK dry completely should it get wet or need cleaning.

Other than taking a little more care around very wet conditions, I expect you should be able to EDC any of the digital scale models as you would any other SAK.  :tu:

EDIT: Found the reference to this in a Vic document below:

Thanks Max, that's an interesting piece of information. I had read your post about the coated PCB and also various user reports about the AVTs surviving contact with water.  However,  Vic conforming that you actually can submerge them for cleaning purposes is reassuring news.

Since the AVTs do not seem to be popular around here, at least not for EDC, I guess I will just have to gain my own long term experiences. :dunno:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 12:23:17 AM
The electronic scales definitely seem interesting, I'll be watching this from the side with the intent of maybe just grabbing a scale in future  :popcorn:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 10:17:36 PM
I have all of them with exception of the voyager lite in my collection, and every single one of them still work like new. I realize most people do not even wear a watch anymore in the age of smart phones, but I really like having a clock, altitude (even if not so accurate), barometer and temperature especially when I do stuff on military duty, goofing off in woods, etc… The scales themselves are very resilient to scratches and impact compared to the standard cellidor scales. I have even done a few successful mods making a Cyber/Compact/Traveler and CyberSwissChamp AVT. Rain/Sleet/Snow they have survived for years now. Hope you guys give them a try and let me know what you think. Matt
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 11:25:26 PM
I have all of them with exception of the voyager lite in my collection, and every single one of them still work like new. I realize most people do not even wear a watch anymore in the age of smart phones, but I really like having a clock, altitude (even if not so accurate), barometer and temperature especially when I do stuff on military duty, goofing off in woods, etc… The scales themselves are very resilient to scratches and impact compared to the standard cellidor scales. I have even done a few successful mods making a Cyber/Compact/Traveler and CyberSwissChamp AVT. Rain/Sleet/Snow they have survived for years now. Hope you guys give them a try and let me know what you think. Matt

They seem like such neat gadgets! Hopefully I can grab a set to throw on a Compact or Explorer in the future. How do you actually interact with the electronics? Is the scale a button or something?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 11:54:54 PM
You just press or press and hold the swiss symbol to access all of the digital functions. Works really well. If you take apart a traveler to mod it make sure you break it down to the AVT scale. Do not try to remove forcefully or you will either damage the electronics or mess up the coating that protects them. Takes a little more time to remove layer by layer, but the result is well worth the extra effort. Also, please let me know when you do it. I am all about making mods of every type of SAK or MT. Best of luck. Matt
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 12:28:47 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the AVTs, Matt. :cheers: Great mods you created there :hatsoff:

I am now in my second week of EDC'ing the Traveller Lite and like it a lot so far. Many people seem to think by default that electronics and SAKs don't mix. But in actual fact I found hardly any evidence on the Internet of Lite modules or electronic scales ever failing. On the contrary, I have read several user stories where such SAKs survived adverse conditions to the big surprise of their owners. I guess Victorinox knew what they were doing after all when conceiving these knives.

In any event, I find the Traveller Lite a very appealing and original SAK and will continue EDC'ing it. I wouldn't mind if the electronic scales were a tad slimmer and also non-transparent, but you cannot have it all.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 01:56:21 AM
You just press or press and hold the swiss symbol to access all of the digital functions. Works really well. If you take apart a traveler to mod it make sure you break it down to the AVT scale. Do not try to remove forcefully or you will either damage the electronics or mess up the coating that protects them. Takes a little more time to remove layer by layer, but the result is well worth the extra effort. Also, please let me know when you do it. I am all about making mods of every type of SAK or MT. Best of luck. Matt

Very cool! So they aren't like normal scales then?

I was hoping to just be able to buy the scales and do a swap out like when you put pretty colours on, my ignorance is showing  :facepalm:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 02:39:50 AM
I agree we are in the minority as far as the appreciation of SAKs with electronics on the forum, but they are really sound and useful. Just do not leave them out in really extreme environments and change the battery occasionally. I have had mine the Middle East with temps up to 130 with zero issues. Also has the same battery for the digital portion and lite, which are cheap on Amazon. Plus if you watch on eBay you can get Voyager for around 50-60 and Traveler for 75-100. Biggest issue is the discontinuation of AVT line recently by Victorinox. Just have to have some patience or pay a bit more. Hope you both mod a couple so I’m not only one giving it cudos in the future.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 05:25:11 PM
Very cool! So they aren't like normal scales then?

I was hoping to just be able to buy the scales and do a swap out like when you put pretty colours on, my ignorance is showing  :facepalm:
The electronic scale is a slightly higher profile and completely custom for Victorinox, with even a cut-out in the Al outer liner it sits on, so it would not be possible to transplant the electronics to a standard scale. It should be possible to pop the scale off the brass rivets to mod the SAK, but I expect that care would be needed to prevent damaging the electronics.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%