Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NexTool Mini Flagship Mod

Offline lipoff

NexTool Mini Flagship Mod
on: July 02, 2021, 03:09:22 AM
The NexTool Mini Flagship (NE0138) is a capable keychain sized multi-tool with an unusual design: instead of its scissors being embedded in the handle of the pliers, they held between a third smaller handle and the main body of the tool.  The advantage is that the scissors are full-sized and don't take up a handle slot (enabling this tool to have both a full-sized file and a can opener/bottle opener combination tool, in addition to the knife and full length screwdrivers), but the disadvantage is that the tool is heavier than the Leatherman Squirt or Gerber Dime.

In fact, as much as I liked this tool, I found it (at 79g) too heavy for my keychain.  Since it's held together with Torx screws, not rivets, I thought I might just remove the scissors all together.  Then I thought I might try replacing the knife with something else, like 58mm or 74mm Victorinox scissors, or the scissors from my Leatherman Style PS, to make it a "flight-safe" tool.

But then I had another idea: why not replace the scissors with the pliers, but remove everything else?  To do this properly, I thought I would need to purchase a second tool to canabalize, but then I found, to my surprise, an AliExpress seller who sells just the small scissors handle as a replacement part.

I'll be honest: disassembling this tool was not easy.  They use white threadlocker and it's very strong.  I broke a good quality Torx T8 bit.  Only the Victorinox Cybertool Torx bits were robust enough to work.  Fortunately, I have two Cybertool T6/T8 bits.  But then I sheared the head right off one of the Torx screws!  Oops.  But I eventually got the tool disassembled and then it was actually quite easy to reassemble the pliers by themselves.  Some fine tweezers to slip in the washers are a must!

It's a little weird that the pliers don't close all the way when they are stored, but it still works surprisingly well.  They are snappy and strong.  The keychain attachment point is convenient, the pliers are very light — only 24g — which is 10g less than my Sebertool M3, IDL T5 or Sheffield 12019.  But the pliers are actually longer, stronger, open wider and are more functional than those tools.  The pliers are springy too, which makes them more pleasant to use.  It's a shame that there aren't any other tools (unless you count the wirecutter!), like screwdrivers built into the ends of the handles, but given everything else I carry on my keychain, those would be pretty redundant anyway.

In theory, I should be able to reassemble the detritus of my experiment into a scissors-based multitool (like a Leatherman Squirt S4), but I broke a screw and bent one of the posts so I haven't tried yet.  I think I should be able to fix everything up though, or at worst buy a $2 generic part from a knife supply store on-line.  I've never wanted a scissors based multi-tool though, so I am in no rush.

All told, I am surprisingly happy with this mod.  I finally have a pair of keychain sized pliers that are small and light enough to carry, but strong and robust enough to use.  Because I always carry a 26g Alox Rambler on my keychain, the knife, nail file, flathead screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, bottle opener and scissors are already taken care of, and are (IMHO) superior to the equivalents on the NexTool Mini Flagship, Leatherman Squirt or Gerber Dime.  But now for an extra 24g and a thin tool, I have a pair of pliers as well.  So for 50g total, spaced across two tools, I essentially have the capabilities of the Leatherman Squirt (54g), Gerber Dime (69g) or NexTool Mini Flagship (79g).  I'm pretty happy with this!
DSC_2063 (1).jpg
* DSC_2063 (1).jpg (Filesize: 51.54 KB)
DSC_2069.jpg
* DSC_2069.jpg (Filesize: 69.1 KB)
DSC_2076.jpg
* DSC_2076.jpg (Filesize: 52.79 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: NexTool Mini Flagship Mod
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 07:04:29 AM
Nice work!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 09:18:40 AM
 :iagree: :like:
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 07:20:07 PM
disassembling this tool was not easy. 

No need to go through all that trouble. It will disassemble itself eventually.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84892.0.html

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 11:36:03 PM
No need to go through all that trouble. It will disassemble itself eventually.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84892.0.html

:rofl:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 10:07:27 PM
If the mini flagship...had better quality..it would probably be the best keychain tool...not close.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 06:31:48 PM
 :like:

Very nice.  almost minimalist. 

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30