Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking to buy some power tools....

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Looking to buy some power tools....
on: July 05, 2021, 04:54:35 AM
I haven't bought any new power tools for a while, until I recently bought a new Rigid orbital sander (haven't used it yet).

I'm looking at buying a few new power tools soon, including:

A bench grinder.
A miter/cutoff saw
Two cordless drills.

Now, I'm not too worried about the bench grinder. It's the cutoff saw and cordless drills I'm more concerned about.

When I walk into Home Depot, I'm faced with basically five big brands (and maybe some others) of power tools.

DeWalt
Ryobi
Makita
Milwaukee
Rigid.

I am not a contractor, and I don't play one on TV. These tools will see some moderate-heavy use for a few months, then occasional use after that. So--other than the obvious "Binford Tools", what's the lowdown on some medium-serious tools in these categories? I want reasonable reliability at an affordable price. I want no nonsense. I don't need the very top of the line, even of the brands mentioned. However, I do want tools that should still be reliably working five years from now if I take even moderately good care of them. I don't want things that are finnicky or frustrating to use. And above all, I don't want to be out-smurfed in the battery department. That is, I don't want to find the batteries smurfing out on me after minimal use.

So what models do you recommend and not recommend?  :D
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Looking to buy some power tools....
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 05:18:15 AM
Dewalt was always the cordless drill department in my opinion, compound miter Hitachi, grinder, idk, that’s the only thing every company has their top tool, it’s like a fast food restaurant, one has the best burger but their fries suck, yet another place has the best fries yet their burger sucks, but the third restaurant is a 50/50, I ended up losing most of my tools and when we bought this house I bought one of those combo packs, with like 8 tools and only 2 batteries, it’s by portercable and there 20v, the charger sucked but I got the Mrs to get me a little deal which was a dual charger which also came with 4 batteries, so I was loving it, some tools I haven’t even used yet, my only complaint is the saws, but I really can’t complain because for as much juice as they got to use they do it, just not for long, I’d rather plug in! But the drill heck it just keeps going,, I just figured for a around the house setup it would be good, and it has been,, oh and I snuck in the orbital sander :whistle:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 06:11:32 AM
I have only tried Ryobi and Makita.
The Makita drills are pretty good and my Ryobi jigsaw is good as well, Ryobi makes a big deal of all their tools running the same battery so whatever tool you have will take the same battery so they don't always include batteries with their tools.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 06:21:33 AM
And above all, I don't want to be out-smurfed in the battery department. That is, I don't want to find the batteries smurfing out on me after minimal use.
My cordless drill is a cheap no-name brand, each time I want to use it I have to charge one of the batteries up first.  :facepalm:
They don't hold charge for more than a day.

Ryobi makes a big deal of all their tools running the same battery so whatever tool you have will take the same battery so they don't always include batteries with their tools.
Yeah for cordless tools you may want to consider how universal their batteries are should you wish to buy other tools further down the line (so that they can all use the same batteries).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:27:03 AM
I am generally happy with Black and Decker
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 02:39:44 PM
I am generally happy with Black and Decker

Yeah....I've done too much with them....looking to upgrade a little.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 04:31:54 PM
My partner picked me up a Ryobi circular saw and drill/driver which have been very nice to use.  I appreciate the battery can be used across their line of tools.  If you can get them on sale which she did I find them good for the occasional DIY home use. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 03:09:20 AM
My partner picked me up a Ryobi circular saw and drill/driver which have been very nice to use.  I appreciate the battery can be used across their line of tools.  If you can get them on sale which she did I find them good for the occasional DIY home use.

These are going to turn a ton of screws as we build our wooden fence. Need to be able to do thousands of screws....

I do cringe a little with Ryobi....for some reason I've not had super good experiences with their tools in the past.
For instance, I have a Ryobi bandsaw, and either it's a piece of trash, or I can't seem to get it to behave. (Yes, I read the manual).

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 04:50:47 AM
My next cordless drill will probably be an impact driver, they seem to be popular.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 04:59:33 AM
You've just narrowed your choices then  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 05:01:07 AM
The Toolguyd website has a lot of great info. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 06:47:08 AM
The Toolguyd website has a lot of great info.

I tried finding it just now and couldn't for some reason.... got a link?

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 01:51:55 PM
PM with link sent.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 02:32:50 PM
Quite a few cordless tools are now coming out with brushless motors.  These are supposed to be more efficient (last longer for same battery) and/or more powerful. 

If it is a tool that I'm going to be using for multiple hours at a time then ergonomics and robust reliability becomes more important than price and perceived "prestige".
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 11:22:38 PM
Rigid have a good warranty on their batteries or at least they used to.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 02:31:40 AM
Quite a few cordless tools are now coming out with brushless motors.  These are supposed to be more efficient (last longer for same battery) and/or more powerful. 

If it is a tool that I'm going to be using for multiple hours at a time then ergonomics and robust reliability becomes more important than price and perceived "prestige".

Good advice!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 10:49:18 AM
We use Hitachi for work, seem reliable enough, no major issues.

I use Ryobi at home, due the aforementioned pitch about them all using the same battery system. Even their electric lawn mowers run on it!

I don't have strong feelings about either brand, but so far I've had no compelling reason to use anything else, so take that for what it's worth.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 03:04:36 PM
I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I ended up getting two bundle kits from Ryobi, on the 18v battery system. The kits include the 2-speed standard drill, the quick release hammer driver drill, the reciprocating saw, and the flashlight. They came with two batteries and the charger, for $130 per kit.

Then I got the Ridgid 12-inch sliding double compound miter saw, for $400. All that came from Home Depot.

We got one drill set out and have used it, it works great. Will open the other one when we begin our big fence project.

We got the Ridgid saw out of the box yesterday and set it up...it is a beast. It can cut through 4 inches of wood, 16 inches wide.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 11:53:31 PM
That's a lot of tools - why two kits?

I like my Hitachi circular saw, the only thing I regret about it is it's corded. I don't think cordless ones were around at the time.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 05:25:39 AM
Another vote for Ryobi. Love that their batteries can be used on anything Ryobi. I have a  cordless drill, a reciprocating saw, a leaf blower, and a weed eater. I never run out of batteries, just make sure each tool you buy comes with its own battery. I have noticed they now sell some of the tools without, necessitating a separate purchase for the batteries...which sucks.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 02:01:51 PM
Another vote for Ryobi. Love that their batteries can be used on anything Ryobi. I have a  cordless drill, a reciprocating saw, a leaf blower, and a weed eater. I never run out of batteries, just make sure each tool you buy comes with its own battery. I have noticed they now sell some of the tools without, necessitating a separate purchase for the batteries...which sucks.

That all depends on whether you already have as many batteries as you need (I have).  It is almost always cheaper to buy the tool without the battery (IIRC they call it "skin only" or somesuch). 

That way you can choose the battery that best suits your usage too.  For some of the higher current usage tools (typically the brushless ones) the tool functions much better under heavy load when fitted with the newer high performance batteries (the ones with the extra two terminals on them to communicate with the tool).

I agree that a tool without a battery is useless.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 10:58:31 PM
I agree that tools without battery is a good option. Once you have a bunch of batteries you really don't need more, but you might want to add or replace a tool. Most manufacturers seem to offer packages with batteries for the most used tools like screwdrivers as a starter, and then the idea seems to be to add more tools or batteries as needed.

I might be alone in this, but I actually want a corded connection that fits in the battery bay. That way the tools can be corded for work where mobility is less of a concern, and one can use batteries when mobility is needed - without wearing down the batteries when it is not. Bosch, do you listen? :pok:

In general I landed on blue Bosch long time ago for most things corded and cordless alike, with some corded Makita and Flex mixed in where that made more sense. Pretty happy overall with that choice, but the smaller line with 12v batteries do wear out fairly quickly. (The 8 Ah battery versions turns the tools into something way more useful though).

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 04:39:35 AM
I might be alone in this, but I actually want a corded connection that fits in the battery bay. That way the tools can be corded for work where mobility is less of a concern, and one can use batteries when mobility is needed - without wearing down the batteries when it is not. Bosch, do you listen? :pok:

That isn't  too common but seems like a good idea (but there are probably good reasons why it isn't done much, such as the whole tool would need to be made to mains voltage safety standards).  The only currently available ones I can think of are the various Ryobi Hybrid (mains & battery) fans, but there may be others I haven't come across yet.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 09:45:30 AM
That isn't  too common but seems like a good idea (but there are probably good reasons why it isn't done much, such as the whole tool would need to be made to mains voltage safety standards).

The tool wouldn't need to (or be able to) receive more than normal battery power. The converter could either be in the space normally occupied by the battery, or less elegant, in a box by the power outlet. (Like so many other things powered by mains but using low voltage DC).

Maybe I should just make one myself instead of waiting for Bosch. They sure have provided me with lots of spent batteries over the years.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2021, 01:08:21 PM
The tool wouldn't need to (or be able to) receive more than normal battery power. The converter could either be in the space normally occupied by the battery, or less elegant, in a box by the power outlet. (Like so many other things powered by mains but using low voltage DC).

Maybe I should just make one myself instead of waiting for Bosch. They sure have provided me with lots of spent batteries over the years.

I'm sure I've seen quite a few frankenstein mains to low voltage setups by various people over the years.  You might have to dismantle an old battery pack to get the right connection for your tool/s, but plug in the output from a low voltage DC source and you're away.  Just make sure the DC source can provide enough current (some tools use a surprising high amperage when working hard).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2021, 04:59:43 PM
I'm sure I've seen quite a few frankenstein mains to low voltage setups by various people over the years.  You might have to dismantle an old battery pack to get the right connection for your tool/s, but plug in the output from a low voltage DC source and you're away.  Just make sure the DC source can provide enough current (some tools use a surprising high amperage when working hard).

I'm responsible for some Franksteins earlier for other kind of gear. The amperage might indeed be an issue. If I assume some of the machines are roughly equal to about 500w of power that is over 30amp at 14.4 volts. Hm, this might be one massive power DC power source with matching cable sizes. (I got one at 300w next to me, and that is literally brick sized with one fat cable).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 08, 2021, 03:41:38 PM
Well, a month in, I am officially a Ryobi/Ridgid power tools guy. I've lost track of how many 18  volt cordless tools I have, I am thoroughly happy with them as a home-owner and hobby craftsman. I learned, as some of you probably already knew, that Ridgid, Ryobi, Milwaukee, and Hart tools are all made by the same company. (In China, mainly, of course). The TTI U.S. company headquarters is about 40 minutes from my house, and they have a factory outlet there (and I think, 37 more around the country). I don't get endorsed to provide you the link, but if you would like to check out the website, they have good deals on factory blemished, factory refurbished, and new arrival items, and so to help you with your tool addiction, I'll provide the link here.

You can order online, or visit one of the stores. They have sales frequently, too.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

ca Offline buggs

Reply #27 on: September 12, 2021, 08:28:36 AM
I'm kinda a yellow guy. 

I've owned my cordless Dewalt drill for a long time.  Long enough that I'm on my second set of batteries and long enough that I'm still at 18v rather than 20v (which is still pretty much the same power anyway).  So shenanigans aside I've been using the same cordless drill for over 16 years.  I've finished a 40x40 basement, 15x15 deck and two sheds with it. Those are feet btw.  Not impact, just regular cordless drill.

Also have a couple of sanders, circular saw, compound miter saw (which did the yeoman's work on cutting most boards for the construction), corded impact driver (sinking those screws into the basement cement) all in yellow.  Have yet to be disappointed. 

No negative comments to be made about other brands.  Dewalt hasn't done me wrong yet.   

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 01:22:09 AM
Right up my alley. Worked in a tool store for 3 years. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ryobi, they are a powerhouse in the home tool market and even some contractors favor their lineup, cheaper to replace when stolen or burned up.  Their selection, availability, and price point have dominanted the market. Marketing geniuses as well, much stronger Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram presence for sure.

Stanley black and decker owns DeWalt, Craftsman, and Porter Cable power tools. They are discontinuing Porter Cable and revamping Craftsman since Lowe's now owns the name, and people live the name.

I went with DeWalt, as they tend to favor carpentry tools, while Milwaukee's M12 line can't be beat for electrical, plumbing, and mechanic tools, the battery is just too convenient.

Lowe's has also released "Flex", which will replace the Kobalt electrical tools.

Which ever brand you go with, be sure to pick up a 1/4" impact driver. You'll never drive a screw with a drill again.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 02:51:55 AM
Right up my alley. Worked in a tool store for 3 years. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ryobi, they are a powerhouse in the home tool market and even some contractors favor their lineup, cheaper to replace when stolen or burned up.  Their selection, availability, and price point have dominanted the market. Marketing geniuses as well, much stronger Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram presence for sure.

Stanley black and decker owns DeWalt, Craftsman, and Porter Cable power tools. They are discontinuing Porter Cable and revamping Craftsman since Lowe's now owns the name, and people live the name.

I went with DeWalt, as they tend to favor carpentry tools, while Milwaukee's M12 line can't be beat for electrical, plumbing, and mechanic tools, the battery is just too convenient.

Lowe's has also released "Flex", which will replace the Kobalt electrical tools.

Which ever brand you go with, be sure to pick up a 1/4" impact driver. You'll never drive a screw with a drill again. (Image removed from quote.)
Ryobi rolls right off of the same line as Milwaukee but this does not mean they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD