Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small Blade vs Large Blade

us Offline Steelej1976

Small Blade vs Large Blade
on: July 06, 2021, 02:18:08 PM
I typically use my small blade on my Super Tinker for everything and leave the main blade sharp and as a backup.  I find the small blade works really well for most EDC tasks and I rarely need anything larger.  Recently however I have started thinking maybe I should switch things around and keep the small blade as my backup blade.  I am just curious about arguments for either the large blade or small blade (for backup) that you guys may have to help me with what I am thinking.  Thanks in advance. 

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Small Blade vs Large Blade
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 02:20:41 PM
Same for me. Easier to touch-up edge on the small blade and I reserve the large blade only for times I need extra cutting length such as cutting an apple.  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 02:50:18 PM
I use the small blade primarily and the large blade as a backup too.  I got started doing that because of opening packages when I worked retail.  I was afraid the large blade would damage the contents in the boxes.  It became a habit that stuck with me.
Barry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 04:55:04 PM
Thinking in terms of clean blade vs. dirty blade, it probably makes the most sense to use the small blade for the dirtier tasks and reserve the large blade for cleaner tasks, since the large blade is a much more useful size for food.

Personally, though, I’ve long been in the habit of using the large blade for pretty much everything (I’ll give it a wipe with a wet wipe before and after using it for food), and saving the small blade for tasks that require scalpel-like sharpness and precision, like trimming cigars.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 05:06:52 PM
Thinking in terms of clean blade vs. dirty blade, it probably makes the most sense to use the small blade for the dirtier tasks and reserve the large blade for cleaner tasks, since the large blade is a much more useful size for food.

This is pretty much the rule I follow.  The small blade on my SAKs often times have packaging tape adhesive stuck to it.  I'm annoyed if I have to clean the large blade before I use it to core/slice an apple or any other food.
- Terry

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 05:34:37 PM
Small blade for the dirty stuff, big one for food or stuff that needs the full length.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 05:36:55 PM
When I used to carry the larger 91mm SAK's, I used the small blade almost exclusively for cutting. The large blade was my food blade. But this caused me some questioning in my life and impressed me on how well a smaller blade really cuts for most stuff. As a result, I downsized my SAK carry and now carry the 58mm and 74mm exclusively. If I think I'm going to need more blade that day, I'll drop my Victorinox florist knife or Christy knife in my pocket.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 07:25:40 PM
Same here, the small blade is the primary blade. There should be another large blade, if I remember well .
Most cutting tasks can be accomplished with a very small blade. And I have more control when I use the small blade.
The large blade is for food and large stuff. If a larger blade is needed then perhaps a khukhri.

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 08:57:20 PM
I’ve even gone as far as substituting the large blade with a metal saw/file in some mods which kind of says it all! ;0)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 10:38:16 PM
I keep it simple: Big Job-Big Blade, Small Job-Small Blade. 

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 10:41:22 PM
...and with that elegant summary, this debate is now over  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 10:59:04 PM
...and with that elegant summary, this debate is now over  :like:

Lol.  I appreciate all the replies.  I do think I am going to keep doing things the way I have been and using the small blade.  I really do find the small blade is safer for most jobs.   :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 07:32:25 AM
For decades I’ve been mostly using the small blade. And like many above I now primarily reserve the big blade for food. Just the other week at a picnic nobody brought any real knives for the baked chicken. Glad I had my Troublemaker with me.  Especially since I’ve been carrying a Work Champ most days lately and a 111mm might have looked a bit out of place there.

And that leads me to this suggestion: If you want to see what life is like without the small blade, try a 111.

I do miss the familiarity of the small blade for most tasks when I have the Work Champ on me. Enough so that I’m rethinking some of my planned 111mm mods.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 11:37:42 AM
Large blade for food and feathersticks. Small blade for everything else.

I've been without a small blade for quite a while now.  We just got off a 30DC of small SAKs. Honestly, I was hoping that the blade would be comparable to the small blade on the medium sized SAKs; and it really wasn't - the depth of the blade, I suppose.

Then there's the 111mm, and the 93mm that I use almost exclusively.  It would be nice to have a small blade, but it's not a deal breaker.

I still use a SwissChamp or Champion often enough. But for EDC a Climber doesn't offer me an advantage over my usual... For now. So I'll still be without the small blade. Maybe someday...

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 11:44:04 AM
I really do find the small blade is safer for most jobs.   :tu:

I'd have fewer scars if I thought like that.  :rofl:   :facepalm:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 12:22:30 PM
This is pretty much the rule I follow.  The small blade on my SAKs often times have packaging tape adhesive stuck to it.  I'm annoyed if I have to clean the large blade before I use it to core/slice an apple or any other food.

:iagree:

My thoughts exactly :salute:.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 12:31:22 PM
I'd have fewer scars if I thought like that.  :rofl:   :facepalm:

Why would you want that?!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 10:38:44 PM
The small blade is definitely one of my most used tools. Keeping the large blade clean for food is also a habit of mine. The Large blade also does work well for precision cuts on cigars, cutting plugs and other pipe tobacco. Another reason I like to keep the big blade clean is because of those purdy Tang stamps!  :drool:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 12:16:20 AM
Small blade for everything, large blade when i need the extra length or the job at hand justifies it.
I never use my SAK's on food, generically...  :dunno:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Mad Scientist

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 02:03:25 AM
I've carried my Pioneer X for long enough that I use the large blade on any given SAK by default. I can appreciate the mentality behind using the small blade more, though.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 04:34:33 AM
I've carried my Pioneer X for long enough that I use the large blade on any given SAK by default. I can appreciate the mentality behind using the small blade more, though.
On the 93mm knives, I tend to use the awl for a lot of tasks (e.g. cutting tape on packages), and reserve the blade for tasks that need truly require it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 04:39:27 AM
On the 93mm knives, I tend to use the awl for a lot of tasks (e.g. cutting tape on packages), and reserve the blade for tasks that need truly require it.

Me too - I'll also cut cardboard with the awl quite often

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 01:46:43 PM
Me too - I'll also cut cardboard with the awl quite often

+2  :D

The 93mm awl is a heavy duty "small blade"
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 02:14:05 PM
I use the main blade on my Tinker mostly. Keep small blade (reshaped to clip) for delicate tasks needing a really sharp blade.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 03:41:25 PM
 :iagree:

This is what I do as well.  Large blade as primary and small blade kept sharp for precision. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Ike582

Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 04:46:44 PM
This is why I really like the electrician.  The small blade is perfect for most of my needs.  Now if Vic would make an Electrician-X I'd be ecstatic!
Ike

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 07:29:36 PM
This is why I really like the electrician.  The small blade is perfect for most of my needs.  Now if Vic would make an Electrician-X I'd be ecstatic!

How about this?
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 11:30:59 PM
Another potential consideration is that, if you ever loan your knife to anyone (whether you should or shouldn’t do this, and if so under what circumstances/conditions, could be and I believe has been the topic of entire threads on its own), they are likely to go for the big blade first.

us Offline Ike582

Reply #28 on: July 09, 2021, 12:59:52 AM
How about this?

If I could make my own I'd swap out the large blade and pruner blade for an inline phillips and it would then be perfect.
Ike

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #29 on: July 09, 2021, 04:23:53 AM
Like your idea, you should do it. This I made off a Texas tool crib mod idea. It’s designed to carry with leatherman surge or MT without all the cutting options.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%