Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber dual force

Tsquare · 162 · 23515

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber dual force
Reply #90 on: June 13, 2022, 07:38:19 PM
My experiences with Gerber and with Chinese MTs have been positive overall, so I personally was not deterred that they are made in China.

And my limited experience with the Dual Force has been very positive, but it only consists of carrying and using the MT for 3 or 4 days.

I do understand being cautious. It is somewhat expensive, and I imagine being an ocean away makes using the warranty a hassle.

Thanks for your thoughts Adam  :cheers:

TBF It's not a lot of money (I've spent £400 + on 2 Vic' MXBS MTs  ::)) So it's not that bad  :whistle:

The warranty isn't much of an issue either as it appears that GerberUK have free postage through Fiskars  :dunno:

I'm just loathe to give my hard earned to China and then be unhappy. I must check where my MP600 is from  :think:

They don't like it up 'em!

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: June 14, 2022, 02:43:33 AM
Surge, if yours is of the new shield variant and does not have the "USA" stamped in a handle, it probably has "chinese DNA"; although boxed examples state that the tool is "made in USA", the cardboard/display package models state "Built in USA from global materials" which, is the current state. I've no regrets and think of them as solid tools.

20220613_203343.jpg
* 20220613_203343.jpg (Filesize: 143.63 KB)

20220613_203026_copy_648x1081.jpg
* 20220613_203026_copy_648x1081.jpg (Filesize: 423.02 KB)

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #92 on: June 19, 2022, 07:06:09 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Adam  :cheers:

TBF It's not a lot of money (I've spent £400 + on 2 Vic' MXBS MTs  ::)) So it's not that bad  :whistle:

The warranty isn't much of an issue either as it appears that GerberUK have free postage through Fiskars  :dunno:

I'm just loathe to give my hard earned to China and then be unhappy. I must check where my MP600 is from  :think:

@Surge did you buy a Dual Force?

I’m in the UK and I’m trying to decide between another Leatherman (most likely a Supertool) and the Dual Force.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #93 on: June 19, 2022, 05:04:05 PM

@Surge did you buy a Dual Force?

I’m in the UK and I’m trying to decide between another Leatherman (most likely a Supertool) and the Dual Force.

No, I haven't bought one yet (it's been a VERY expensive month :ahhh)

I might see how things are in July  :dunno:

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #94 on: June 19, 2022, 05:17:25 PM
Someone has!

I nearly bought one in the early hours of the morning from the site you found them on.

This afternoon? Out of stock!

I had to buy a like-new Supertool 300 from a UK Leatherman Facebook group to console myself :whistle:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #95 on: June 19, 2022, 05:32:29 PM
Someone has!

I nearly bought one in the early hours of the morning from the site you found them on.

I had to buy a like-new Supertool 300 from a UK Leatherman Facebook group to console myself :whistle:

Me and my big mouth  :facepalm: :rofl:

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #96 on: June 19, 2022, 05:40:45 PM
As long as the culprit owns up and reviews it here, I suppose it’s okay.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #97 on: June 26, 2022, 07:06:41 AM
We’ll, I’ve added a Dual Force to my collection in the same week as a Supertool 300, so I’ll be having a lot of fun testing them out on the same tasks to see which I prefer.

For now, a group photo with the rest of the heavy duty section of my multitool herd.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #98 on: June 27, 2022, 05:54:32 AM
This appears to be a hard one to find around here. I tried to get the local Canadian Tire to get me one to no avail. Looks like they might have a few coming in early July, but based on what I have seen so far, I will believe it to see it. I do want this one bad.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline primeholy

Reply #99 on: June 27, 2022, 03:44:47 PM
We’ll, I’ve added a Dual Force to my collection in the same week as a Supertool 300, so I’ll be having a lot of fun testing them out on the same tasks to see which I prefer.

For now, a group photo with the rest of the heavy duty section of my multitool herd.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

How do you like that sog?

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #100 on: June 27, 2022, 07:29:11 PM
I’m not keen on the SOG to be honest.

The action of the pliers is very smooth, but everything else just feels a bit rough. Skinny little blades with rough edges and a very clunky locking mechanism.

The Gerber is nicer than I expected, some really well thought out touches. Not very pocketable, of course.

I went twenty years with a Leatherman PST and a Squirt. Takes a while to get used to the differences with other brands.

Offline Yoda

Reply #101 on: June 29, 2022, 07:39:08 PM
Someone has!

Sorry it was me that bought one!

I like it, it's heavy duty. The outboard tools are great and do everything well. Not totally sold on the centre drive driver, makes it a touch wide in my opinion. The two flip outs for extra tools are good addition. I used it on some 17mm nuts and it was grippy and useful but did notice some hot spots. Love the chisel end on the file and file is cut well. I think it's a great addition and one for the car carry.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #102 on: June 29, 2022, 08:42:15 PM
Don’t worry, they were soon back in stock and I got mine.

Have you seen that the price has gone up? Think we got a bargain!

It really is a nice tool. I agree with you about the driver - it works well, but it’s bulky. Shame the bits aren’t double ended. Six options instead of three would have covered a lot of bases.

The file could have been a bit more aggressive, but everything else seems pretty good. I’m surprised at how much I like it.

Offline Yoda

Reply #103 on: June 29, 2022, 10:35:27 PM
I was surprised it wasn't over the 100 quid mark. I probably wouldn't have have gone much over that tbf. Gone up by a tenner.

It's a good tool. I think it could be slightly better. Scissors would be handy and an awl.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: July 04, 2022, 04:22:25 AM
I just snagged one of these at ace hardware for $99.  I’m really impressed! It’s a much better tool than either the Sheffield or the schrade slip joint multi tools. It’s super heavy duty. The Sheffield cuts your hands to ribbons if you use a lot of pressure and the schrade just bends the handles.  I don’t t know why all the reviewers bitch that it’s rough around the edges... I don’t see that. Everything is finished well,  the handles are smooth and pain free even in screwdriver mode (unlike my center drive).  The heads in regular mode open larger than a blunt nosed mp600, and in large mode can go completely around the mp600 blunt pliers.

Now the bad. All the tools are EXTREMELY tight, and the pivots are either non adjustable or locktited very strongly. The bit holders are plastic. They’re right in the spot where you’d want to smash them into a nail as an impromptu hammer. But plastic doesn’t fair so well.

My only real gripe about the tool is there are no can or bottle openers. They should have replaced one of the bit holders with the prybar tool from the center drive. Even if it wasn’t a locking tool that’d be fine with me.

Overall this is a great tool. I just need to buy some propane so I can torch the pivot bolts and maybe get them to adjust.

I also have a crunch, and this is a much different tool. The crunch can do some amazing things, but it’s not really heavy duty. It’s the most precise pair of  vise grips I own, but is really not a heavy duty tool. This is.

It’s a very heavy tool and has no pocket clip. There is however room to stick on a nite eyze adhesive clip.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: July 04, 2022, 10:42:15 PM
One other thing of note. The Gerber's plier pivot and tool pivots are on the same pivot. So, just like the Leatherman, this suffers from the "adjust the tools just right and the pliers are too loose, adjust the pliers just right and the tools are too tight" syndrome of the Wave and Surge. When the tools are adjusted so they're openable one handed, the plier handles will move against each other when the tool is closed. Tighten the pivots up so the movement stops, and now the tools are impossible to open.

Gerber could easily have made a slot so that the handles fit into each other when closed, much like the SOG Power Access. This would give extra twisting torque when using the center drive driver as well. Unfortunately they didn't do that.

Still, it's a great tool, and the widest useful opening of any tool I own. (SOG can probablyu open wider, but won't be useful)

Charles.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: July 04, 2022, 11:57:00 PM
We’ll just ordered mine from Gerber-Store UK
Paid for 3 day postage
Hopefully have it by end of week
I can’t remember the last time I bought a new MT or SAK
But I like Gerber’s radical design.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #107 on: July 05, 2022, 12:02:36 AM
I think you’ll like it.

It’s a big tool, but the weight isn’t ridiculous.

Can’t let their delivery prices go without comment though £4.99 for 3 day delivery or 5 - 10 days free??? Do they send the warehouse tea boy out on foot if you don’t upgrade to premium delivery?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 05, 2022, 10:29:42 AM
@Cruchie
I take your point
Normally I  opt for the free delivery but in this instance with Gerber store uk - I haven’t bought from them before so didn’t want to wait the 10 days (2wks), realise it’s not arrived then start chasing up.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #109 on: July 08, 2022, 05:46:53 PM
We’ll just ordered mine from Gerber-Store UK
Paid for 3 day postage
Hopefully have it by end of week
I can’t remember the last time I bought a new MT or SAK
But I like Gerber’s radical design.

Any sign of your Dual Force yet?

Interested to know what you think of it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: July 09, 2022, 04:14:16 PM
Good grief. I finally landed one, but it was way too much fun dealing with Canadian Tire. I finally  managed to get them to order me one, and it didn't arrive in a timely manner.  When I inquired, other staff employees told me I would never see it and to give up. Unknown to me, they canceled my order somehow, or at least my name attached to one. I checked online and found that my local Canadian Tire was going to get one in. I assumed it was mine. I was right, but not attached to me as I found out earlier today. Yesterday, the online web site stated that there was a Dual Force in stock at the local store and that it would be ready for pick up by 11 am. I went there only to find out that it would be released for tomorrow (today). I ensured that my name was on it and that they would hold it for me. Of course, I should have known that it would go sideways. I got there at 7  am only to find that it was hanging  with a price tag ready for the first person to pick it up. I would have went ballistic if someone beat me to it. Thank God I didn't trust them and showed up at first opening. Lots of run around to get my paws on this one...with the Canadian Tire fun and other places running out of stock whenever I found a place I could buy it from. It is a rare model up here in Canada.

20220709_085814A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_085748A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_091858A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_091906A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_091924A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_091941A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_092006A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_092021A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_092310A by Chako, on Flickr

20220709_092128A by Chako, on Flickr

The best part, I got it for 89 Canadian. Someone told me they were now going for 140 Canadian.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:31:18 PM by Chako »

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: July 09, 2022, 04:28:14 PM
Glad you were able to get one, Chako! It will look awesome in your collection!!!! :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #112 on: July 12, 2022, 05:47:03 PM
 :hatsoff:

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #113 on: July 12, 2022, 09:47:48 PM
Will it see any use, Chako?

I think mine will turn out to be a pretty useful beater. Maybe not a belt or pocket carry, but definitely a regular tool bag or truck carry.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #114 on: July 13, 2022, 11:37:15 AM
Gave my Dual Force a quick workout alongside a Leatherman Crunch this morning when I got home from a night shift.

The Crunch was actually the better tool for the job, with the shorter handles and slightly narrower head making the difference.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: July 20, 2022, 08:08:25 PM
Any sign of your Dual Force yet?

Interested to know what you think of it.

Sorry Crunchie
Been so busy with diy
Yes, it arrived last Wednesday. I’ve only had it out of the box for a few minutes.
It’s huge!!
A few things I don’t like…
The plier head teeth are blunt (rounded off) I think that will hugely affect gripping force, likewise the ‘sandwiched’ head is rather cheap looking, was expecting it to be more like the legendary Schrade ST series. Also never been keen on Gerber blades. The MP series all have naff puny brittle blades, the dual force blade seems out of place considering how huge the tool is.
To sum up, I don’t think the build quality is a patch on the Center Drive.

Just my thoughts…  :facepalm:

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #116 on: July 22, 2022, 03:24:29 PM
I can’t argue with any of that. The sandwich plier head is a bit strange, and the blade is no match for a Leatherman.
I do quite like the screwdriver, although it sits awkwardly when folded in.
The pliers are effective and do seem to grip well, but are very bulky. Not a tool for working in tight spaces.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #117 on: August 21, 2022, 04:59:12 PM
I just got one of these. I bought it from my local Ace Hardware for $95.00 (I had 5.00 in Ace Rewards!).  I also wish it was made here in the US. I do not care about the "politics", but Gerber and other companies make things overseas because of cheap labor, and in my opinion, this tool should cost around $60.00 to $70.00. I am also taking into consideration that nowhere on the package does it say what kind of steel the tool, knife blade, etc, is made out of. Since it is not listed, I will assume it is a lower grade steel, maybe not the worst, but still a lower grade.  With all that being said, these are my first impressions.

1. I love the look and feel of it. It is large and comfortable in my hands.
2. The driver, just like the Center Drive, is the best I have seen on any multitool. Just the fact that it does not use odd sized, proprietary sized bits is the best part of it.
3. Most of the tools are too hard to open, except the driver. I do not mind the driver being this way, but the others need adjusting, and just like Leatherman, Gerber makes it so it cannot be adjusted without using some specialized tool. Speaking of which, does anyone know where one can get their hands on a tool, or a bit for a driver to do this?
4. Even though the file on the tool looks like good quality, I would have LOVED to have a nice large pair of scissors there in its place!

Just my initial impressions and opinion. All this may change if the tool becomes a user for me!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #118 on: August 21, 2022, 06:05:09 PM
I just got one of these. I bought it from my local Ace Hardware for $95.00 (I had 5.00 in Ace Rewards!).  I also wish it was made here in the US. I do not care about the "politics", but Gerber and other companies make things overseas because of cheap labor, and in my opinion, this tool should cost around $60.00 to $70.00. I am also taking into consideration that nowhere on the package does it say what kind of steel the tool, knife blade, etc, is made out of. Since it is not listed, I will assume it is a lower grade steel, maybe not the worst, but still a lower grade.  With all that being said, these are my first impressions.

1. I love the look and feel of it. It is large and comfortable in my hands.
2. The driver, just like the Center Drive, is the best I have seen on any multitool. Just the fact that it does not use odd sized, proprietary sized bits is the best part of it.
3. Most of the tools are too hard to open, except the driver. I do not mind the driver being this way, but the others need adjusting, and just like Leatherman, Gerber makes it so it cannot be adjusted without using some specialized tool. Speaking of which, does anyone know where one can get their hands on a tool, or a bit for a driver to do this?
4. Even though the file on the tool looks like good quality, I would have LOVED to have a nice large pair of scissors there in its place!

Just my initial impressions and opinion. All this may change if the tool becomes a user for me!

"companies make things overseas because of cheap labor"

Skilled Labour isn't cheap and cheap labour isn't skilled
(I hate outsourcing  :rant:)

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: January 18, 2023, 12:41:08 AM
I really do like this tool. When I have tasks that require the super heavy duty bulkiness it performs admirably. However as a day-to-day tool it's overly heavy and... I miss the one-hand opening pliers way more than I thought I would. It's why I would never really seriously carry a leatherman long term. As much as I like the feel of the surge and wave, I need pliers far more often than I need blades.  I like Gerbers and SOGs because they can be opened with the flick of a wrist, and closed just as easily.

When it comes to heavy-duty tasks though, nothing quite works like this. I'm impressed.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD