Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

12th June. The Anniversary of Karl Elseners patent for the SAK

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Every morning, shortly after The Shipping Forecast on BBC Radio 4 they report things from this day in previous years. This morning they noted it was the anniversary of the lodging of the patent for the Swiss Army knife by Karl Elsener.

From wikipedia:

"Elsener was on the verge of bankruptcy when, in 1896, he developed an improved knife, intended for the use by officers, with tools attached on both sides of the handle using a special spring mechanism, allowing him to use the same spring to hold them in place.[4] This new knife was patented on 12 June 1897, with a second, smaller cutting blade, a corkscrew, and wood fibre grips, under the name of Schweizer Offiziers- und Sportmesser ("Swiss officer's and sports knife"). While the Swiss military did not commission the knife, it was successfully marketed internationally, restoring Elsener's company to prosperity.[5]"

Seems worth acknowledging annually here as anywhere IMO.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Every morning, shortly after The Shipping Forecast on BBC Radio 4 they report things from this day in previous years. This morning they noted it was the anniversary of the lodging of the patent for the Swiss Army knife by Karl Elsener.

From wikipedia:

"Elsener was on the verge of bankruptcy when, in 1896, he developed an improved knife, intended for the use by officers, with tools attached on both sides of the handle using a special spring mechanism, allowing him to use the same spring to hold them in place.[4] This new knife was patented on 12 June 1897, with a second, smaller cutting blade, a corkscrew, and wood fibre grips, under the name of Schweizer Offiziers- und Sportmesser ("Swiss officer's and sports knife"). While the Swiss military did not commission the knife, it was successfully marketed internationally, restoring Elsener's company to prosperity.[5]"

Seems worth acknowledging annually here as anywhere IMO.

It does, thank you for sharing.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
:hatsoff:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
 :like: Thank you for sharing. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

12th of JUNE..?
A typo..., or a month to late...?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Good spot. Better question. Maybe the BBC got it wrong … now I’m curious  :think:

EDIT. So I listened back to R4 and it’s there about 10 mins in the 0530 News Briefing …  :dunno:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:47:49 PM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31