Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Asking for advice with my "new" Explorer

es Offline pitquim

Asking for advice with my "new" Explorer
on: July 13, 2021, 11:27:26 AM
The story made short: my 1999 Explorer was confiscated in 2015 in Paris and I'm using versions with glass lens 6x MG since then.

I have just done a "nostalgic purchase", buying a new in box Explorer with same details old mine had, being a second half 90's knive. You know: grey frame, larger driver, silver rivet on scissors, hook, crossbow and cross on the tang, no pinhole, etc...

Now I'd like to know your opinion about the use you guys would give to this older knive:
a) store it like a gem in its box for my "heirs" as I'm father of two Explorer users :D
b) use it as is, with its older scales (perhaps matching with an old rounded "Pat" mini driver, as I did with mine)
c) use it with brand new plus scales, adding the three plus tools: mini driver, pen and straight pin

The main problem I see with options b and c is the possibility of another confiscation :woohoo:

I'd much appreciate your opinions
With an Explorer in my pocket everyday since 1999
IG: @pitquim

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Asking for advice with my "new" Explorer
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 11:44:46 AM
Great question  :tu:

My opinion:

- If you like collecting SAKs and can stretch to a 2nd Explorer, I'd keep the NIB as collectible (unused) and have the 2nd as a user
- If collecting is not (yet) an obsession, it would be fair to swap out to Plus scales and enjoy this special SAK as a user

The confiscation issue is always a risk...  :facepalm:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 02:21:11 PM
I really dislike owning things I would never consider using.  Never is the key word, because there is usually some circumstance in which I would carry, even if that happens only rarely.  The best way I've found to avoid the dilemma, is to not buy pristine collectibles, or failing that, buy two more of the same model.  :facepalm:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:49:27 PM
I would definitely use it, probably with the original scales.

With regard to saving it for your heirs, it will probably never be worth a fortune, you won’t get much enjoyment out of it, and there is no guarantee they would appreciate it as you do.

With regard to knife confiscation (things may be different where you live):
1.  If I know I’m going somewhere knives aren’t allowed and this policy is enforced via security checkpoints with metal detectors, I won’t carry one.
2.  I have very few knives that have sentimental value (e.g. my grandfather’s pocket knife), but those I don’t ever carry.
3.  If I’m going somewhere new that I suspect might have metal detectors, I try to do my research ahead of time.  If that proves inconclusive, I may carry a throwaway knife in case it gets confiscated or I have to ditch it.
4.  I generally do my best to respect local laws regarding blade length, knife type, and manner of carry, though this can be a challenge, especially in states that do not have knife law preemption.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%