Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixing (re-grinding?) 91mm scissors?

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Fixing (re-grinding?) 91mm scissors?
on: July 03, 2021, 04:05:26 AM
I picked up a used Explorer a few weeks back and find that the previous owner seems to have used a knife sharpener on the scissor blades. So there's a bevel on both sides of each blade of the scissors. Needless to say, they don't cut very well. (Actually, anything stiff, like paper, they cut fine. But anything soft, like loose threads, just binds in the gap between the two inside-edge bevels.)

I found out because the blades were catching, even when not cutting. I looked at them under a 91mm 8x mag glass and saw the inside-edge bevels. The blades were catching as there was a small "lip" coming off the bevel edge, from the sharpening.

Keeping in mind that the only sharpening I've ever done is with the Victorinox dual knife sharpener, is there a way for me to fix this mess? Or am I better off replacing the scissors or just using the SAK for parts?

Thanks!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Re: Fixing (re-grinding?) 91mm scissors?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 05:07:18 AM
You must have gotten it from the same previous owner that I got a MiniChamp from.  I guess I was lucky because I got it in a handyman special that included two Classics, as well.

Took the scissors and the main blade, from one, and the scales from the other and came up with a serviceable knife.  The second knife blade still has slight damage, but it sharpened up nicely.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 05:52:17 AM
You must have gotten it from the same previous owner that I got a MiniChamp from.  I guess I was lucky because I got it in a handyman special that included two Classics, as well.

Took the scissors and the main blade, from one, and the scales from the other and came up with a serviceable knife.  The second knife blade still has slight damage, but it sharpened up nicely.
Maybe, PitCarver. The Explorer's two knife blades were heavily resharpened, like down 1-2mm in width from original size, but at least they're sharp and usable. That part was disclosed in the eBay description and photos.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 08:53:43 AM
Felix has a good tutorial
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 12:54:07 PM
Perhaps just keep sharpening the correct side? Each time you sharpen the bevel on the outside, the bevel on the inside will reduce.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 06:03:43 PM
Felix has a good tutorial

Thank you, Max. I'm working my way through all of Felix's videos (great stuff!), but hadn't got to that one yet.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 06:05:25 PM
Perhaps just keep sharpening the correct side? Each time you sharpen the bevel on the outside, the bevel on the inside will reduce.
Thank you, Syncop8r. I'll see how it goes.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 06:07:07 PM

Forgot to add - nice scales there!
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 05:53:24 AM
I finally had time today to get a diamond sharpener like Felix recommends in his video and see about fixing the scissors.
After about 30 minutes with the sharpener, I'm happy to report that I now have scissors that actually cut. They even pass the "cutting the loose thread test".  :woohoo:

Maybe not quite as good as scissors without an amateur sharpening job, but much better than before I worked on them.

So with the sharpening and a good cleaning, I have a good used Explorer. That makes two Explorers that I've brought up to snuff!

Thank you all for your suggestions. This is what I find so great about this forum.
SAKs:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 10:48:10 AM
Great to hear that they are back in service Steve  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 12:24:22 PM
Good news!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69