Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22
Reply #570 on: March 02, 2022, 07:52:31 PM
Day 30
I used the tip of the combo blade of the A377P to scrape away the protective coating that concealed the pin number on a gift card.

* Combo edge '22 30.jpg (Filesize: 141.58 KB)

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22 Day 30
Reply #571 on: March 02, 2022, 08:10:43 PM
DAY 30 (Supplemental)

Sounding a bit "Kirk" like but here's my thoughts on my carries for the challenge (in no particular order  :think:)

1) MP600: Used for the day job - Customs (Border Protection across various ponds)

Not bad but I prefer OHO and I found the pliers had partially extended upon removal from the pouch used (I don't have the original) I didn't really need to use most of the tools but they held up pretty well when called upon.

2) Wingman: Used mostly at home and a few excursions:

My favourite of the challenge and, if it was a bit beefier, I could use it for work based antics as well. It has the tools I use the most and proved to be my Wingman more than once.

3) Octane:

A lovely little tool but too lightweight for work use. The rest of the tools were passable but the bottle opener is, at best, useless. Still, I love it because of its connection to MTO and that I got it off "the Boss"

4) Vic' RT: Only really used for SAR stuff (no use at all for work)

I need pliers and a proper pointy blade for work. I can't fault this for SAR stuff and is often paired with my Wingman to provide a plier option.

5) Antonini (Rescue Knife)

Great knife, great blade and I've had it on my SAR kit vest for a few weeks. I think however, it's a bit too single purposed to carry daily.

6) Spyderco Tenacious:

Pretty much the same as above although it would be a better EDC (subject to UK carry laws etc...)

7) Utili-Key (Keychain carry)

Carried daily and sees VERY occasional use. As a big bonus it's UK/EU flight safe, so far (12+ years of no issue)

A great deal of my uses are limited by UK carry laws (6 of 7 have locking blades) so no real EDC  ::) That said, I could use the Wingman every day if it was a bit more substantial (think Surge  :whistle:) I'd just need "reasonable excuse" to carry outside of work  :dunno:

Conclusion:

I need a plier based MT/SAK + OHO + Combo Blade + non-locking (answers on a postcard please  :tu:  :rofl:)

Peace Out  :salute: :drink:

* combo edge day 30c.jpg (Filesize: 167.07 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #572 on: March 02, 2022, 09:16:04 PM

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #574 on: March 02, 2022, 10:05:41 PM
 :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #575 on: March 02, 2022, 11:38:27 PM
Day 30

First and foremost I want to thank everyone who joined me on this Challenge.  You awl brought some really nice knives and tools into the fray,  I was really excited to see the Benchmade and Spyderco knives that I see commonly in the real world being put to use in the Challenge, and was equally stoked to see a couple of multitools like the Signal and the Mariners Knife that have a well-documented history of adventures. 

I had a fun time using one of my old faithful knives from years ago - the Cold Steel Voyager.  I will admit that having not used it for some time, I was fumbling with the opening mechanism when I did need to use it.  But It was as sturdy as all getout, and being accustomed to Swiss Army Knives I was pleasantly surprised as to how this knife inspires confidence in use.  I did push this thing to its limit years ago, and I'm glad I did that sort of thing with this knife as opposed to my more usual SAK.

I bought the Skeletool KBx on a whim. and I am glad I did.  It's not as sturdy as the Cold Steel, but it is so easy to open - having a thumb hole and no backspring...   Taking this knife out to do small tasks day to day became second nature - I daresay - more than a SAK, because of how easy it is to open.  Also, it is light as a feather.  It's a bit of a confidence boost to have a tool that's so easy to use and carry.

As for the Combo Edge - I can confidently say that it was not a hindrance.  Back in the day, it was more useful to me than it is now... since I haven't needed to cut rope or cord, other tough material.  Regardless, it wasn't a bad thing to have, just in case (as one does with a multitool) 

So after this challenge, I have decided that I will continue to carry the Skeletool KBx along with a SAK... and perhaps a Classic instead of my usual Pioneer X... mainly for the scissors.  I've become so accustomed to the ease of opening the blade, I think I'll stay awhile.

:cheers:

* image_50411521.jpg (Filesize: 147.44 KB)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22 Day 30
Reply #577 on: March 02, 2022, 11:40:00 PM
DAY 30 (Supplemental)

Sounding a bit "Kirk" like but here's my thoughts on my carries for the challenge (in no particular order  :think:)

1) MP600: Used for the day job - Customs (Border Protection across various ponds)

Not bad but I prefer OHO and I found the pliers had partially extended upon removal from the pouch used (I don't have the original) I didn't really need to use most of the tools but they held up pretty well when called upon.

2) Wingman: Used mostly at home and a few excursions:

My favourite of the challenge and, if it was a bit beefier, I could use it for work based antics as well. It has the tools I use the most and proved to be my Wingman more than once.

3) Octane:

A lovely little tool but too lightweight for work use. The rest of the tools were passable but the bottle opener is, at best, useless. Still, I love it because of its connection to MTO and that I got it off "the Boss"

4) Vic' RT: Only really used for SAR stuff (no use at all for work)

I need pliers and a proper pointy blade for work. I can't fault this for SAR stuff and is often paired with my Wingman to provide a plier option.

5) Antonini (Rescue Knife)

Great knife, great blade and I've had it on my SAR kit vest for a few weeks. I think however, it's a bit too single purposed to carry daily.

6) Spyderco Tenacious:

Pretty much the same as above although it would be a better EDC (subject to UK carry laws etc...)

7) Utili-Key (Keychain carry)

Carried daily and sees VERY occasional use. As a big bonus it's UK/EU flight safe, so far (12+ years of no issue)

A great deal of my uses are limited by UK carry laws (6 of 7 have locking blades) so no real EDC  ::) That said, I could use the Wingman every day if it was a bit more substantial (think Surge  :whistle:) I'd just need "reasonable excuse" to carry outside of work  :dunno:

Conclusion:

I need a plier based MT/SAK + OHO + Combo Blade + non-locking (answers on a postcard please  :tu:  :rofl:)

Peace Out  :salute: :drink:

Excellent summary and picture  :cheers: :salute:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #578 on: March 02, 2022, 11:41:23 PM
Day 30
I used the tip of the combo blade of the A377P to scrape away the protective coating that concealed the pin number on a gift card.

Nice work  - and that bottle opener is very apropos of the knife

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #579 on: March 02, 2022, 11:42:35 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
I'm sorry, but since I just received this Resilience Lightweight in S35VN steel today, we have to start The Challenge over.

:cheers:

I'm all for it!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Combo Edge Challenge 2/22-3/2/22 Day 29
Reply #580 on: March 02, 2022, 11:44:16 PM
DAY 29 (Catch Up)

Yesterday I was out for a few beers with a mate so unable to carry any of the usual suspects* (locking blades  ::))

I was accompanied by the Swiss+Tech Utili-key and an orange Px (no uses for either  :dunno:)
*Awlso no interweb access as he lives in a deadspot  :crash:

I'll have a Gin and Tonic, please!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #581 on: March 02, 2022, 11:45:41 PM
Day 30

(Image removed from quote.)

My goal was to try out every combo blade I had, which turned out to be more than I realized. Overall, combo blades worked well enough for me. Only once did I have a situation where a PE blade or SE blade would have worked much better than the CE blade I had. The result was a bleeding thumb  :oops:  :D

Thanks to ElevenBlade for hosting the challenge, and cheers to everyone who participated  :cheers:

Thanks for joining me, and thanks for putting so many cool multitools though their paces.  You've got some true classics there.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #582 on: March 03, 2022, 02:44:13 AM
That's a fine collection of toys, A-Train.   :cheers:

Thank you sir  :cheers:

I really  :like: the Spyderco that you just received  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #583 on: March 03, 2022, 06:33:32 AM
Day30

The Spirits blade opened a dog treat

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #584 on: March 03, 2022, 03:56:46 PM
I think my dog would find that very yummy.   :drool:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:58:42 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #585 on: March 03, 2022, 08:37:52 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did we get a badge (asking for a friend  :whistle::dunno:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #586 on: March 03, 2022, 10:15:34 PM
I would agree.  It is one of my dog’s favorite chews.  Fortunately after one place stopped selling them, a local pet store was willing to special order them for me at cost.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #587 on: March 04, 2022, 01:31:40 PM
Mr Crunch! 

what are your thoughts so far?

You know, I consider these to be more of a novelty and collectable than something I would carry.  They are big and overbuilt, and are largely a variant of the "Free" series.  I'm keeping mine virginous with undetermined plans for them for the future. #hoarding
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 02:08:51 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #588 on: March 06, 2022, 02:04:49 PM
Got some Chinese food takeout to share, and the eggrolls needed to be split in half. 

This was a usage where the combo edge came in as a necessity. The plain edge was squishing the eggrolls.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #589 on: March 09, 2022, 01:59:52 PM
So I gather that we ultimately didint have enough participants to get a new badge....?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #590 on: March 09, 2022, 03:08:26 PM
So I gather that we ultimately didint have enough participants to get a new badge....?

Looks that way  ::) :(

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #591 on: March 09, 2022, 04:34:27 PM
I queried one of the Lordships about a badge, and he was non-committal.  I axed if it were the number who started the challenge, or the number who finished that mattered, and he said it depends.  He also noted that some in this group were also seeking a badge from another February challenge.

Remember, we are the Elite MTO members, who challenge ourselves for the pure love of the multitool arts, and not for a stinkin' "badge" that doesn't really exist in a corporeal sense anyway.  Carry yourself with pride today, dear sirs and ma'am, because we - like Seal Team 6 - got the job done without the credit.  Our pride in a job well done, and the fraternal bond derived therefrom, will carry us through to the end.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :salute: :salute: :salute: 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #592 on: March 09, 2022, 07:38:51 PM
I queried one of the Lordships about a badge, and he was non-committal.  I axed if it were the number who started the challenge, or the number who finished that mattered, and he said it depends.  He also noted that some in this group were also seeking a badge from another February challenge.

Remember, we are the Elite MTO members, who challenge ourselves for the pure love of the multitool arts, and not for a stinkin' "badge" that doesn't really exist in a corporeal sense anyway.  Carry yourself with pride today, dear sirs and ma'am, because we - like Seal Team 6 - got the job done without the credit.  Our pride in a job well done, and the fraternal bond derived therefrom, will carry us through to the end.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Talk is cheap! Badge, badge, badge  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #593 on: March 09, 2022, 08:11:34 PM
If someone can design a badge that fits the format I will make it happen. Whoey is too busy these days to design badges. That 's the hard part  :cheers:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #594 on: March 09, 2022, 08:45:53 PM
If someone can design a badge that fits the format I will make it happen. Whoey is too busy these days to design badges. That 's the hard part  :cheers:

Cheers Steve  :cheers:  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Not me obviously (I'm rubbish at this sort of thing  :whistle: :facepalm:)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #595 on: March 12, 2022, 08:36:37 PM
What about RP's badge in post #57?

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #596 on: March 12, 2022, 08:38:58 PM
What about RP's badge in post #57?

Sure,  It just needs to be in the right format for me to use it. Two sizes with transparent background.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #597 on: March 12, 2022, 11:40:09 PM
I queried Mr. ReamerPunch about that to see if he has the requisite skilz. 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #598 on: March 13, 2022, 08:52:38 AM
 :D

Now I want it!  :ahhh
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 10:03:13 AM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline powernoodle