Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Electrician's MTs

Adam5 · 95 · 5623

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Electrician's MTs
on: July 18, 2021, 05:59:42 PM
Electrician's multi tools. The reason behind how I found this forum. Multi tools that, for the most part, belong in the Cheap and Cheerful subforum. Yet I keep spending money for them. And I have not even tried buying a Paladin or a Radioshack E4. No, I have focused for the most part on the cheaper tools.

Why?
 :facepalm:

Anyway, here is what I have except for the Gerber Groundbreaker (I forgot to include it):

Feel free to share pictures of what you have.

us Offline Sos24

Re: Electrician's MTs
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 09:05:54 PM
Nice collection.  I don’t have any Electrician specific MTs.  Out of curiosity, which is your of the group?

us Offline Adam5

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 10:39:49 PM
I am not sure what your question is.

The best tools in my collection are the Klein hybrid plier MT and the Leatherman ES4s.

The tools that I am actively collecting are in the second photo. This model has been around for years and has been sold under multiple brands. I have the following brands: Southwire, Commercial Electric, Power Pass, Westward, RS Pro, Klutch, Urrea, and HyperTough (it has a different wire stripper head). I am looking for the following brands: Sheffield (2 color varieties), Workpro, MasterCraft, and any other brand.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 02:30:05 AM
I am not sure what your question is.

The best tools in my collection are the Klein hybrid plier MT and the Leatherman ES4s.

The tools that I am actively collecting are in the second photo. This model has been around for years and has been sold under multiple brands. I have the following brands: Southwire, Commercial Electric, Power Pass, Westward, RS Pro, Klutch, Urrea, and HyperTough (it has a different wire stripper head). I am looking for the following brands: Sheffield (2 color varieties), Workpro, MasterCraft, and any other brand.
I meant to say favorite, but forgot the most important word.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 02:59:01 AM
I meant to say favorite, but forgot the most important word.

My favorite would be the Klein.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 03:02:59 AM
Nice collection.  :hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:13:53 PM
 :iagree: :like: :like:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:06:50 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

I just realized that not only did I forget to include the Groundbreaker, I also forgot the Bear & Son 155EL that I have.
I should stand to the side and let the professionals like Chako show their collections. I obviously have no talent for it  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 01:03:25 PM
I disagree. I like looking at other collections. Keep em coming!  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 01:16:04 PM
I disagree. I like looking at other collections. Keep em coming!  :D

That's what she said!

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:41 PM
I also enjoy seeing what others decide to buy/collect.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Adam5

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 02:09:04 AM
Here are pictures of the 2 I forgot:

Bear Jaws 155EL

Gerber Groundbreaker

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 09:56:06 PM
Nice group! I have the Klein Electrician Hybrid and Leatherman Squirt EL.

The Klein is one of my favorites too. Aside from use of a Klein hawkbill (for scoring the outer jacket) and a small pair of Clauss USA snips (for the small inner wires); I was able to salvage an expensive heavy-duty extension cord with a damaged end (and I will also replace the other end, since someone yanked the ground out of the male end). For about 3 years, the Klein Electrician Hybrid was also my "good pair of strippers"; until I found our local Ace Hardware and State Electric carry decent electrical tools (both Klein, as it's a few independent places plus Lowe's is all we have here), and I bought a Klein.

While small, the Squirt EL is just the thing if your main electrical work is model trains or RC. That is where that little tool really shines in my use. But man, these things can be expensive. I paid $30 for mine. They were $40 new at "The Shack"  back during my teenage years, but I couldn't afford them then.

Is the Commercial Electric any good? I've been tempted to order one every single time I am just under $35 when I do a Home Depot order, but end up ordering Knipex or Channellocks instead to fill that void.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 11:09:31 PM
Nice group! I have the Klein Electrician Hybrid and Leatherman Squirt EL.

The Klein is one of my favorites too. Aside from use of a Klein hawkbill (for scoring the outer jacket) and a small pair of Clauss USA snips (for the small inner wires); I was able to salvage an expensive heavy-duty extension cord with a damaged end (and I will also replace the other end, since someone yanked the ground out of the male end). For about 3 years, the Klein Electrician Hybrid was also my "good pair of strippers"; until I found our local Ace Hardware and State Electric carry decent electrical tools (both Klein, as it's a few independent places plus Lowe's is all we have here), and I bought a Klein.

While small, the Squirt EL is just the thing if your main electrical work is model trains or RC. That is where that little tool really shines in my use. But man, these things can be expensive. I paid $30 for mine. They were $40 new at "The Shack"  back during my teenage years, but I couldn't afford them then.

Thanks!
I would carry an ES4 in my pocket for when I don't have wire strippers within reach, but they became shelf queens as soon as the retail inventory ran out and the going  :iagree:price doubled. I have red and blue and paid less than $40 each for them new. I want a black one to complete the set, but I can't pull the trigger when the going price is $90.

Is the Commercial Electric any good? I've been tempted to order one every single time I am just under $35 when I do a Home Depot order, but end up ordering Knipex or Channellocks instead to fill that void.

I haven't tried it yet (I assume you mean the 7 in 1, looks somewhat like a Buck Xtract). I feel that you spent your money more wisely on the Knipex and Channellocks, but I can't say for certain. I will try them out this week and let you know.
By the way, you can get the Commercial Electric 7 in 1 cheap on eBay.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 02:58:40 AM
Here are a couple of more for the collection:

The Klein TripSaver is another one I have that I forgot about for the group photos. And the Toolzall Electrician 16 in 1 Multi Tool is a new addition.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 03:44:05 PM
I think the Commercial Electric stuff is really just junk and priced accordingly usually too. I was out of town a few years ago when a job "Popped" up and I had no tools with me so I bought a Commercial kit at HD with a decent numbersed assortment of tools and a bag and I got the job done but then gave the tools away and felt guilty about it and still do.

The Paladin are OK and are just special SOG MT with a few terrible specialized tools for wiring and not worth carrying either to me.

I now carry a set of Klein Dikes,Ideal Flex Strippers,Knipex Cobra,Wera Screwdriver with bits in the handle and a cheap but tiny DMM in my Briefcase at all times and along with my EDC Knife,Centerdrive and Lights I am good to go for almost anything routine it seems now.

I am just not trying to do work with any MT if I do not have to and I rarely have to!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 09:10:51 PM
Thanks to this thread...I just ordered the top photo bottom right electrician tool off of Amazon. Thank you for being an enabler, not that I need any encouragement.  :D  :hatsoff:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 09:17:05 PM
Glad to be of help  :hatsoff:
 :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 11:49:35 PM
Hmmm I need some wire strippers. Trying not to look at this thread....

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 08:11:00 PM
It came in today. Not bad actually. Some hilarity ensued when I tried to open the pliers and not noticing the locking lever.  :facepalm: :D

us Offline Adam5

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 11:04:14 PM
It came in today. Not bad actually. Some hilarity ensued when I tried to open the pliers and not noticing the locking lever.  :facepalm: :D

Don't be ashamed! That happened to me too  :rofl:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 11:09:14 PM

Regular wire strippers will work better for you, but they will not come with all of the additional mediocre to poor tools  :pok:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: August 06, 2021, 11:57:47 PM
Regular wire strippers will work better for you, but they will not come with all of the additional mediocre to poor tools  :pok:
Tough choice then.  :think:

They would see most use on instrument cables (I need to re-solder some plugs).
I don't like wire strippers where you have to pull; it's hard to not pull the inner core out.
I have my eyes on some cheap grabby ones...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 07, 2021, 04:10:53 AM
Yes...I was like..what the smurf...this has never happened to me before....then I flipped the tool over and then I went  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2021, 04:12:46 AM

One word, Klein.

These are pretty cheap (don't know how much they are in your neck of the woods); but I paid less than $20 at a local Ace Hardware; and they work really well.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combination-cutting-tools/wire-strippercutter-22-30-awg-solid-wire

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #25 on: August 07, 2021, 06:21:00 AM
I borrowed some similar to these once which were amazing.
But I'm not rich so I might get these.

nz Offline Syncop8r

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: August 07, 2021, 06:33:18 AM
That's what she said!
No, she didn't.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2021, 03:00:49 PM
Tough choice then.  :think:

They would see most use on instrument cables (I need to re-solder some plugs).
I don't like wire strippers where you have to pull; it's hard to not pull the inner core out.
I have my eyes on some cheap grabby ones...

The strippers you show just do the pulling for you and not as smoothly or as controlled as you can do yourself either.

I strip small cable every day and I am telling you that the best strippers are those with the correct size opening for your cable and that are really sharp and so NEVER used for anything else!

I find the Ideal ReFlex Strippers to easily be the best and better than Klein which are more made for Electrical work than Signal Cable work overall.

Then you need to learn to use the tool with your hand and other hands thumb controlling the pull so that you do not get any tearout as you suggest.
It is not hard but just requires a little practice like any other learned skill.

So instead of using the tool to just cut insulation and then just yanking you use the tool around the cable and your other hands thumb like a lever point to gently and with control slide the insulation off of the conductor.

You can easily do this all the way through the shield and individual conductors if you can just visualize the process as you strip and try not to rush.

I know it is easy for me to say but once you learn this you should be able to easily strip any cable without tearing through anything!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #29 on: August 16, 2021, 12:37:07 PM
Are there any other spring-loaded ones?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99