Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool as a rescue knife

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Multitool as a rescue knife
on: July 20, 2021, 08:01:54 AM
I know this has been touched on before, but to add my twopenneth.....

I was wondering about multitools as rescue knives, specifically I was cogitating on the SwissTool rescue version, which seems to have become a bit scarce lately.  I rather like rescue knives and have had several rattling abound in draws (not my personal ones the cupboard draws you understand) and have not, to this day, had recourse to use one. I have been on scene at a serious accident in the past few years when I  was an active rescue participant for a vehicle crash that literally happened on the next carriageway of the motorway (car on oncoming carriageway flipped over on to our carriageway).  But at no point during the procedure did I need to return to my vehicle to grab a rescue knife.

So I have been wondering about this, might it be better, for the most part, to simply have something like a Wave or SwissTool around to fulfil the rescue role, but also as a general every day tool?

I realise that, for example, a sailor/kayaker might prefer a tailored rescue knife for ease of handling in the water etc, but on dry land is there such a need?

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this  :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Multitool as a rescue knife
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:21:00 PM
In actual practice, a rescue knife isn't used all that often, in my estimation.

In five years, I think I only used a knife in a rescue (to affect the actual extrication and exposure) once.  And wouldn't you know it... I borrowed the knife from a police officer on scene.

I used my multitiool far more often... Particularly the pliers.

I decided that for most everything else, the serrated sheepfoot blade on the Gerber MP 600 or the Leatherman Wave was adequate.  For the years following the chance, I didn't miss having a dedicated rescue knife.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 07:50:42 PM
At work, car wrecks were a daily occurence, but we had a truck loaded with tools.  The average person might be better able to utilize the tools in a rescue knife, but how many opportunities will they have to use it?

If you're looking for justification to buy one, just say the word and I'll change my story to fit your needs.  ;) :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:30:32 PM
At work, car wrecks were a daily occurence, but we had a truck loaded with tools.  The average person might be better able to utilize the tools in a rescue knife, but how many opportunities will they have to use it?

If you're looking for justification to buy one, just say the word and I'll change my story to fit your needs.  ;) :D

:iagree:

The scenario I mentioned using a knife, I was separated from my rig - dropped off while the rig moved on to the primary location that wasn't even in line of sight. 

How often does that happen?  Almost never.

I equated a rescue blade to a can opener. Saves the day twice a decade.  So I absolutely had to carry one, and a serrated sheepfoot blade was adequate.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 06:11:58 PM
I carry a Vic' RescueTool in my SAR load vest. I've used it twice in 3 years which, I suppose, is a good thing  :think:

I also carry my LM Wingman as a back up on my belt. That way I have a pair of springloaded pliers and a partially serrated OHO blade for ligature cutting* (most of our callouts are suicidal) and if that's then case then I'll probably only have one hand free  :(

*Yes they can cause damage but I need to consider the alternative  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44