Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chainsaw Badge Request--Stihl MS170.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Chainsaw Badge Request--Stihl MS170.
on: March 20, 2022, 12:31:46 AM
I decided to redo an old birdhouse that had completely rotted out (Granddad built it from plywood 40 years ago), and needed lumber, as my scrap pile in the workshop in the basement didn't have what I needed, and had been depleted from previous projects.  Lumber costs have skyrocketed, so I took apart two destroyed pallets normally used to keep bales of hay off the ground. I'd been cutting the nails with a Sawzall and using a handsaw, and it was taking too long, so I broke out the chainsaw.  Got the job done in less time than it took me to remove one board the old way.

My own saw is a 011AV from the mid-1980s, which this saw technically replaced last year. I accidentally chipped the chain when I was first learning to use a saw, and the tension needs adjusting. The guy at the dealership who put the new chain on used too much torque on the bolts, so with the proper wrrench that goes with the saw, I could NOT get the cover off to access the tensioner. So, I've been using the MS170. It isn't as well built but is MUCH easier to drag around. The 011AV weighs about 50% more, as the frame/body is magnesium, not plastic. The MS170 seems to start MUCH easier.  The MS170 and 011AV use the same chain, and I think bar also, so they're basically directly related to each other.   I think, in the US, the MS170 is the smallest gas saw in the lineup.

As I am getting a Ryobi  One+ combo kit here soon; I plan to eventually get the chainsaw also.  I know these aren't heavy-duty saws, but probably better for small jobs like this.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Chainsaw Badge Request--Stihl MS170.
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 08:28:31 AM
Awarded.   :tu:

No pics of the 011?   :pok:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Chainsaw Badge Request--Stihl MS170.
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 07:04:42 AM
IAs I am getting a Ryobi  One+ combo kit here soon; I plan to eventually get the chainsaw also.  I know these aren't heavy-duty saws, but probably better for small jobs like this.

I have a 36/40V battery Ryobi, it doesn't have the power of the petrol Stihl 026 saw I had, but is way easier to start than the Stihl was (especially when I let the petrol go off in the carbie like I usually did at the end of the winter firewood season).  With the Ryobi it was really simple, just charge the battery and go, and quieter to boot.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%