Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

360 Cameras

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: 360 Cameras
Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 03:34:32 PM
I really need to get a tadpole one of these days....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 04:36:42 PM
I'd love to get a 360 camera for going out on the four-wheeler!  I was planning on getting an action cam to put on my helmet, but a 360 cam would be so much better!  In theory anyway! lol

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #32 on: August 11, 2021, 03:13:07 PM
  So tempted to sell something to get a Ricoh Theta SC2. $269 on Amazon currently. Not sure I really want to spend this much on a 360 camera, but it has computer software too. Resisting the temptations.... :bnghd:

This is a video of the Theta V, but imagine the possibilities! :ahhh Wished I had a 360 camera when I was taking work-cations with the Census Bureau. So many things that could of been shared like you was there!!

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 07:37:50 PM
I'd love to get a 360 camera for going out on the four-wheeler!  I was planning on getting an action cam to put on my helmet, but a 360 cam would be so much better!  In theory anyway! lol

Message sent.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #34 on: August 12, 2021, 04:33:02 AM
  Was wondering how long it would be before 360 photos could be put on some sort of media. Seen Snapspheres on a 360° Panoramic Photographers on Facebook group. A bit expensive, and am sure other companies will get in on the action. Still, might be a good anniversary gift for that someone special ... if you have a 360 camera that is. ;)

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #35 on: August 12, 2021, 08:39:23 AM

In my personal opinion, use both. Unless you have oodles to spend on higher quality lens for better detail, the action camera is still on top. Action camera can record longer and hold more data as they are only recording what they are pointed at. 360 cameras use loads of memory as they are taking in a whole lot of information. Anyone can view MP4 or JPG formats on just about anything. 360 though, even on phones with the leading technology still cannot render a 360 photo or video on their own. They need apps do do that, so there is no "one" 360 format that can viewed by all.

Am so tempted to get a Ricoh Theta SC2 for its many features. More bang for the buck. 2 lens. That should give a better 360 video on some of our recumbent trail rides that I can look back on and share. Then too I am no glamour model. The IQUI 360 needs a tripod mount. One has been developed, not released. Vecnos does provide a proprietary stand with a very light weight foot that slips on. I prefer secure mounts.
  So the IQUI will still have its place. Can fashion an attachment and use the remote for still shots. It is more geared for stills than anything.
  Theta SC2 can record moving 360 video and has software and settings for various recordings, and has a night life filter, and HDR with ISO settings to boost the look. Am assuming the video has enhancements and can be finalized into a more desirable and readable 360 format. We'll have to wait for technology to catch up. In the meantime there are a lot of 360 hosts out there, Kuula being one of them.

TMI I know. Am still wrapping my head around it all. :ahhh  Biggest issues I have is not traveling as much now as my work does not take me there, and I do not have the major bucks to buy fancier technology. Was lucky enough to see the IQUI 360 camera on Amazon Vine, and I was seriously trying to talk myself out of it. Glad I didn't, but I has the 360 bug,

Use both. 360 for those short videos or amazing stills. Action camera for recording your trip. Bet you still use a camera or smartphone for stills. Imagine those now in 360.  :o  :o  :o

I so wished these 360 cameras existed when I was with friends who went places and I had the time to go, or the Census Bureau work-cations of Atlanta, GA and New Orleans, LA. Would of probably needed something to offload the many videos and photos as I do tend to go overboard. Better to have more than not enough.  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:46:50 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #36 on: August 12, 2021, 03:57:59 PM
  In my personal opinion, use both. Unless you have oodles to spend on higher quality lens for better detail, the action camera is still on top. Action camera can record longer and hold more data as they are only recording what they are pointed at. 360 cameras use loads of memory as they are taking in a whole lot of information. Anyone can view MP4 or JPG formats on just about anything. 360 though, even on phones with the leading technology still cannot render a 360 photo or video on their own. They need apps do do that, so there is no "one" 360 format that can viewed by all.

Am so tempted to get a Ricoh Theta SC2 for its many features. More bang for the buck. 2 lens. That should give a better 360 video on some of our recumbent trail rides that I can look back on and share. Then too I am no glamour model. The IQUI 360 needs a tripod mount. One has been developed, not released. Vecnos does provide a proprietary stand with a very light weight foot that slips on. I prefer secure mounts.
  So the IQUI will still have its place. Can fashion an attachment and use the remote for still shots. It is more geared for stills than anything.
  Theta SC2 can record moving 360 video and has software and settings for various recordings, and has a night life filter, and HDR with ISO settings to boost the look. Am assuming the video has enhancements and can be finalized into a more desirable and readable 360 format. We'll have to wait for technology to catch up. In the meantime there are a lot of 360 hosts out there, Kuula being one of them.

TMI I know. Am still wrapping my head around it all. :ahhh  Biggest issues I have is not traveling as much now as my work does not take me there, and I do not have the major bucks to buy fancier technology. Was lucky enough to see the IQUI 360 camera on Amazon Vine, and I was seriously trying to talk myself out of it. Glad I didn't, but I has the 360 bug,

Use both. 360 for those short videos or amazing stills. Action camera for recording your trip. Bet you still use a camera or smartphone for stills. Imagine those now in 360.  :o  :o  :o

I so wished these 360 cameras existed when I was with friends who went places and I had the time to go, or the Census Bureau work-cations of Atlanta, GA and New Orleans, LA. Would of probably needed something to offload the many videos and photos as I do tend to go overboard. Better to have more than not enough.  :D
Very good and valid points!  I'm thinking of putting the 360 on top of my helmet, and then an action cam on either the handlebars or the front rack of the ATV.  I'm not much of a video guy, but it would be cool to capture some of my trips out.  I HATE video editing, but luckily my son likes it, so that part will be on him HAHA!

Definitely not TMI as I'm just starting to look into this stuff, so the more info the better!  :cheers:

Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 03:23:51 PM
  I am wondering about Grant's 360 Fly. Just how far below the camera can it detect, see?

Seen a guy on his HP Velotechnik and he mounted a 360 above the headrest, which is about 4 feet off the ground. He had to of used a dual lens 360 camera, especially for the length of the video. 5 minute episodes. He does not say what camera he uses though...

Playlist. It gets better, but notice how the pictures change in clarity from what an action camera would offer. ;)
  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMvdis0AwVx-aUtcIgOrcbPK_4Pe54j4L
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:39:01 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: August 14, 2021, 03:54:04 AM
It does leave a pretty big footprint, but to be honest, I was expecting a single lens 360 camera to be a lot worse than it is.

The software also let's you change the footprint to a logo or other picture, which is kind of cool.

Def

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 03:18:01 AM
  Seen a lot of Digital Photo Frames out there, yet do not see even one that inherently supports 360° photos.

No one wants to look at a flat 360 photo, they plain weird and not appealing. Now if a digital photo frame could post the 360 photo and do a slow auto rotate, and maybe even have a touch screen to view certain angles, zoom in, and zoom out, and also supporting high capacity SD cards --- then THAT would be the one to get!

Desired, a Movable/Rotatable 360 Sample Photo: https://kuula.co/post/7fyB6

Do not want static 360 photos....

And since Multitool.Org is found in may high placements on topics throughout the world, maybe some manufacturers will sit up, take notice, and create a seller before their competition does. Hey Ricoh, are you listening? Samsung? Sony? Hello?? Vecnos??
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 11:14:24 PM
  Found this free (community based) software that fixes/repairs metadata to post static 360 photos back to 360 photos. :)

https://exiffixer.com/ 

Panoramic images should be seen in all their interactive look-around glory. Unfortunately sometimes the information hidden inside an image that declares it to be a panorama gets mangled or lost, and places such as Facebook and Flickr just show it as a regular static photo. Editing your image or even simply sending it by email or Messenger can strip this vital information out.

Exif Fixer helps fix this; it reads the full details from a selected JPEG image, and if the required elements are missing it calculates and adds them for you.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:59 PM
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 08:30:11 PM
  Interesting panorama of Quebec
  http://quebec360.com/medias/panoramas/secteurs-de-quebec/vieux-quebec/quebec-vu-de-levis-hd/?fbclid=IwAR33qkgexGPH0SaR5O3_Web92owOM1W8Flo7byxu0LxFyOluo81Sz4Bk0kI

Been there many times- in fact, my brother was not born far from there, and Megan and I have almost the exact opposite photo of that, taken from just above where you see the red Coast Guard vessel.  And, during the FLQ Crisis, my father served there, standing guard on the steps of the Citadel- the large castle looking thing.

Absolutely gorgeous area- highly recommend it as a bucket list place to visit.

Def

Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 02:39:07 AM
  Buddy of mine wants to go up north to ride. So I have two 360 camera to mount to the recumbent. Yeah... kind of jumped the gun and bought a Theta SC2 as well a 360 Fly 4K.  :D

Took a couple of indoor and outdoor shots. Think the SC2 has outdoor mode. Has more modes than I can shake a stick at. Each seems to want to be connected to their own WiFi to for settings, but wondering if they can record without having to be connected, as can only connect to one at a time.

Not sure where I will mount the Fly yet. Had planned on running the SC2 up the headrest pole, but I only have tomorrow to figure out how exactly I am going to do this. Have two selfie sticks, but they are twist friction locks. Think I have a tripod around here with clamps on the extensions that should be more rigid. I do have a kayak mount, maybe I can try that for one or the other... might work okay on the Fly mounted off the rear rack as I am guessing the edge of the lens is the deck for view. Will have to dig out the mounts.

Indoors between the IQUI and SC2, the latter was more colorful. IQUI was more pale. Outdoors at night with some lighting the SC2 did better on skin tone and range. Moon was BIG last night with Jupiter above. Should of grabbed an iPhone 11 shot. Hence why Action Cams are better for detail, unless you have $2,000 to $5,000 for a better 360 camera.

Theta SC2 (2 lens)
  Ricoh R0010012 by Outback Idaho, on Flickr

IQUI Pocket (4 lens)
  Vecnos LRIH4805 by Outback Idaho, on Flickr

Wrote Vecnos:

Quote from: Outback in Idaho
Is it true that the IQUI was made by Ricoh?

Was so hooked on this IQUI I did purchase a Ricoh Theta SC2 to grab longer videos of trail rides, and more defined photos.
  Just got it in today. Accidentally took a shot indoors and was impressed. Lots to learn as there are waaay more options than the IQUI has.

See what IQUI started!

Their reply:

Quote from: Vecnos
The IQUI was created by Vecnos Inc, who have a lot of engineers from the original RICOH THETA team!
  Vecnos is a bit different than RICOH itself in a few ways, but at its core was created to reach a different market than the THETA line was.
  So cool to hear you’ve jumped into the deep end of the 360 pool!

We are stoked to hear you like the champagne color! It is easier to partner with any setting 🙂
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #44 on: August 23, 2021, 02:49:34 AM
  With computer software one can zoom in and out. Maybe Kuula allows for zooming? Hmm... Yup! Can zoom!!

Ricoh
  https://kuula.co/post/NLXKt 

Vecnos
  https://kuula.co/post/NLXZ7

Am sure Grant knows way more than I do about this. Oh, and the Theta SC2 is still pocketable. 3/4 on an inch taller than a can of soda about as wide though more flatter. Be great when paired with a selfie stick for those jaunts up a mountain. /hint   Recommended this to a guy at church whom is going to a bear museum in a couple of weeks. 360 cameras have their niche.
  Some people use fancy cameras, lens, photography licenses and such to put together like 110 different photos into a 360 picture. Way better, but how much time and money does that all take?  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:56:06 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #46 on: August 23, 2021, 12:06:58 PM
Check out this one of Tokyo: https://360gigapixels.com/tokyo-tower-panorama-photo/embed.html
You can zoom in quite a bit.

Wowsers!!!! Those Gigapixels 360's are rather awesome. Like to see one done from out side Earth's orbit!

Imagine living here!!! Does FedEx/UPS deliver to the top floor???
  https://360gigapixels.com/yick_fat_gigapixel_one_hong_kong/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:27:23 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #47 on: August 25, 2021, 12:41:11 PM
  Today a friend and I went out for a ride on the Weiser River Trail, northern part of Cambridge, Idaho area. Did not have much time to prepare and I had like no hands-on with the 360Fly and little on the Theta 2.
  Need to find a way of enhancing the gamma, brightness, something on the Fly. Waaaaay too dark for a sunny day.

Theta was set to record sequential photos on 10 minute intervals. I so should of set that to every minute or two. Was not enough photos.

4K Video said I had like 20+ minutes of recording room on the built-in 14GB memory, and HD (1080) would of help a tad more than 2 hours. BUT... (trains slams into the wall) the Theta SC2 only record 3 minute videos! :ahhh Did not know this till I got home, thinking I had a good 10 minute video. Pfft. Theta 5 records up to 25 minutes, and more with a plug-in. The Theta SC2 does not have a plug-in option.
  Still a good photo camera. Going to see if there is a way to record video back-to-back. And the Theta 5 runs $500, and that is far too much for this fella!! :ahhh

Shady Stop #1
  Break in the Shade 01

Shady Stop #2
  Shade Break 02

IQUI Capture on setup
  Vecnos IQUI 360 - Showing today's setup

Highway Bipass - Was like no traffic on the highway today, so we bypassed the gravel and chose the asphalt
  R0010020

Last year this was a a very nice trail. Not so much this year.
  R0010021

Big Valley Trestle
  R0010024

Lot of bear scat along the roads here. A few badger holes. Birds.
  R0010031

Headed Back to the truck.
  R0010041
  Skipped a lot of the madness. This was on the highway headed back. Maybe saw 5 vehicles, 2 being dump trucks.
  R0010045

And a couple of shots on the IQUI by Vecnos - It has a different niche. Fits in a pen pocket though. Soooo portable!
  V0010283

On the way back...
  V0010286

Wished was a 360 format that can be viewed without special software or hosting sites. Maybe some day down the road?  ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #48 on: August 25, 2021, 12:43:38 PM
  Oh, and on the 360 Fly with OEM settings. Yeah, dark, blek. Will get some hands on this more. Grant? Any suggestions?
  Oh, yeah, turn your volume WAAAAY DOWN cause this is N O I S Y.

Need a different mounting point, type, something dampning... something!!!!   :pok: :rofl:  :twak:  :ahhh

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: August 25, 2021, 08:08:38 PM
Yeah, the 360 Fly seems to struggle with light somewhat- when it's sunny the balance goes off a bit (as you can see in my kayak videos) and on cloudy days it gets really dark.

It seemed to succeed most on a sunny day when there was some tree cover over me.  I would imagine it has difficulty being pointed directly at the sky when what you want to look at is to one side or the other.

I suppose it is just a weakness of this particular type of camera, and is likely why no one else is doing a single lens anymore.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but so far it seems you have about as much experience with it as I do!

Def

Reply #50 on: August 26, 2021, 11:29:51 AM
  This would be considered a test video, 4K, of the Theta SC2. What I had thought originally was going to be a 10 minute video turned out to only be 3 minutes long. And with our poor internet connection it is taking a rather long time to upload at 5Mbit/second. You can scroll around though. Was trying to capture a bird sound which can be faintly heard at the beginning and near the middle-end. Heard more of them later on down the road, but the video timed out before then. :ahhh

My buddy decided he had enough of trails. Probably because I cannot afford e-assist, and he hates having to pedal without the assist. Then too he's 74. I like to keep going until I cannot go no more, or until I see something making the trip worth while. We had another 5 to 6 miles to go to the next trailhead; we was at the half-way point going 3 to 4 MPH.
  Tried to convince him to ride back with e-assist, take my pistol in case he saw a bear. Then he could bring the truck back to the closest trailhead, and I would tortoise back up the trail to meet him. Think he was scared to go back by himself (although he had done it before). Roger is such a great friend though.  :2tu:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 12:16:37 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #51 on: September 01, 2021, 09:34:38 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: September 04, 2021, 12:58:26 PM
That is pretty likely to be the coolest thing I am going to see all day!

Def

Reply #53 on: September 14, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
  Second attempt at using a 360Fly 4K on the recumbent trike. Tried a more forward mount, ahead of the headlamps, slightly upwards. Need a different mount, this one rattles too much. It was one of them that has a spring that ratchets in a circle. Mat try a boom out the back of the luggage rack next. Or mount on a square beam out the lower rack to one side. *sigh*

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: September 14, 2021, 12:58:55 PM
Yeah, it's weird trying to get used to placing a camera that looks in every direction.  I have a couple of GoPros, so I have never felt like I needed to use the 360Fly as a normal camera.

And yeah, no matter what camera I use, shaking always seems to be a problem.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #55 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:18 PM
Second attempt at using a 360Fly 4K on the recumbent trike.

I'm not getting the 360-ness.  :shrug:

Reply #56 on: September 14, 2021, 10:09:22 PM
  I was more or less trying for find the best position and placement for that unusual 360 camera. And a more solid mount. Might have to use a rubberized spacer to cut down on the noise and vibration that gets picked up by the 360Fly's microphones. Will say the 360fly does pick up sounds quite well!  :rofl:

Had the Theta SC2 up higher on my last run, but the bugger fell over to one side and held back by the safety strap. So found a way to get a far-to-one-side view. Need to find me a pole or solid mount to go up the headrest mount, up higher like the height of the flag, and mount it up there. Then go from there. Selfie sticks only have a friction-twist lock and I need something more secure.

It's trying to find the material to make one, of find one online that is not $100+ for a 4 or 5 foot pole. Need enough to mound to a per-existing post, then go up from there.

This seems to be the right height as it shows more than the back of my head, and shows enough that looks like I am riding a recumbent trike without showing so much of the belly.  :rofl:
  Theta SC2 caught use of IQUI 360 camera by Outback Idaho, on Flickr

And the IQUI capture of near the same time frame...
  [/url]

It is a growing and placement process. If only more riders would share what works things would be better.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #57 on: September 15, 2021, 06:14:21 AM
  Oops...

IQUI perspective...
  IQUI captures Theta SC2 mounting by Outback Idaho, on Flickr
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 08:13:39 PM
I have used an extandable selfie stick on a GoPro mount in the past with at least some success.

The only issue was I had to Frankenstein up a mount using a GoPro mount as a base (and attached to whatever) the use a GoPro to standard camera mount adaptor, then the variable height stick, followed by whatever adaptor or mount the camera needed.

Fortunately that particular selfie stick has attachments for both standard camera mounts and GoPros, so no faffing about at that end.

Def

Reply #59 on: September 16, 2021, 12:33:19 AM
  Where to get a 5 foot Carbon Fiber post with a GoPro mount on one end?

Soon as an extra definition keyword is added, Google and Amazon go out and find exactly what I am not looking for. Do not want it extendable, want it as one piece. :ahhh Argh! Try finding one simple item and search engines suddenly become useless. 2 feet for the mounting to a per-existing post (headrest post) and three feet sticking out. Heck, can even go with a 1/4"x20 threaded end for all that it matters.  :dunno:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%