Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CS AD10 clone mods

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
CS AD10 clone mods
on: August 08, 2021, 02:17:01 PM
Short story: a while ago i ordered what i thought would be an original CS AD10 from an E-Bay seller, who specifically stated in the ad that the knife was the real deal and no fake.
What i received however was an AD10 clone.
Opened a Paypal dispute, sent the knife back to the seller, then got informed by Paypal that i lost the dispute because the knife never reached the seller.
Almost had forgotten all about it when the clone was returned to me by the postal service, as it had been undeliverable.
Since i was apparently stuck with the thing i decided to make it into a project knife.
Convexed the edge, gave it a wave function, and changed the backlock mechanism into a tri-ad lock mechanism.

фото

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Re: CS AD10 clone mods
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 10:37:07 PM
This is how the locking mechanism looked when i received the knife.
Although it somewhat resembles a tri-ad lock, it's still just a backlock.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 10:46:02 AM
The knife's new home-made Tri-Ad locking mechanism.
Exchanged the old stop pin (on the right with 4.97 mm diameter) for a thicker one (on the left with 5.43 mm diameter) made from an old piece of drill bit using a drill press together with an angle grinder, gave the lockbar pivot pin a bit more wiggle room using a diamond burr, then hand fitted the various mating surfaces with a small diamond file.
Now the lockbarhead wedges itself securely between stop pin and lockbar cutout hook in the blade (with room for wear), and there is zero blade play.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 10:53:57 AM
Great work :like:

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:41:45 AM
Daniil Vygovsky, the seller of this fake CS AD10 operated on E-Bay under the name Andros999, but it seems he is no longer active there.
On Paypal he uses androswizard@gmail.com
I thought i ordered from Taiwan, but the clone was dropshipped to me by the Chinese webshop Jufule (there was even a thank you letter from them in the box)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 01:52:14 PM
Nice job !     :like: :tu:

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 05:45:25 PM
Tested the newly convexed edge with an apex @ ~22.5 degrees inclusive on an old piece of beechwood cutting board.
Got quite a bit of microchipping at the very apex but no rippling.
The steel might indeed be D2 with an estimated  hardness at or slightly above 60 HRC.

Removed all damage by filing the edge flat with a small diamond file, then resharpened to a new apex angle between 22,5 and 25 degrees inclusive.
Still have to do some new testing on the same wood.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 07:02:49 PM
Tested the newly convexed edge with an apex @ ~22.5 degrees inclusive on an old piece of beechwood cutting board.
Got quite a bit of microchipping at the very apex but no rippling.
The steel might indeed be D2 with an estimated  hardness at or slightly above 60 HRC.

Removed all damage by filing the edge flat with a small diamond file, then resharpened to a new apex angle between 22,5 and 25 degrees inclusive.
Still have to do some new testing on the same wood.

A little late to read the post, and am sorry to hear about the total ripoff.  That's total fraud and it does suck not to be able to get the refund.

On the other hand, gonna praise you for the creativity and the great mod, and 22.5-25 inclusive?!  That's really acute!  Will the edge be able to stand real world application? :popcorn:

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 11:00:08 AM
A little late to read the post, and am sorry to hear about the total ripoff.  That's total fraud and it does suck not to be able to get the refund.

On the other hand, gonna praise you for the creativity and the great mod, and 22.5-25 inclusive?!  That's really acute!  Will the edge be able to stand real world application? :popcorn:

Johan Cruijff once said "every disadvantage has it's own advantage", so while i did receive a clone for about the price of a real knife, i also got a chance to try out some mods on it before i might do similar things to an authentic AD10 (which i still plan to buy in the future)
Hand regrinding the blade is already certain (the difference in cutting ability is dramatic), but not sure yet about the wave mod.

If the hardest thing would be to whittle softer green twigs that 22.5 degrees inclusive edge might have held up just fine (possibly with a bit finer finish), but i want the edge to be capable of whittling harder wood types as well, so at least with this Chinese D2/ mystery steel i have to increase the edge angle a bit more.
The idea is "as thin as possible, but thick enough".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%