Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yukon Gear Survival Go Bag.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Yukon Gear Survival Go Bag.
on: August 05, 2021, 04:41:58 AM
I have to find a 10 step program...because I seen to can't stop buying these stupid "survival" kits...which means here I am again feeling somewhat repentant. However, I tend to live life with the moto "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back". Yes, I know I am doomed.

Anyhow, yesterday, I was perusing Canadian Tire and stumbled upon this Yukon Gear Survival Go Bag. My first impression...it isn't even in a bag. Then I quickly recalled another set that I wrote about here called the SWAT Survival Kit back in 2019. I can't even use the excuse that I didn't know better. Heck, I can't even use that excuse with the SWAT kit either as I read about a similar kit that Def wrote about. I guess the cat doesn't learn.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81222.0.html

This Yukon Gear Survival Go Bag kit is larger than the SWAT kit mentioned above.
20210804_132948A by Chako, on Flickr

The case looks similar, and even the contents of these kits run mostly the same.
20210804_211613A by Chako, on Flickr

I had a knowing feeling when I opened the case the first time, and 2 of the 4 locks fell off. These plastic cases are made super cheap. This one even cheaper than the SWAT kit, and that is saying something. At least I still have the 2 end ones working...but for how long depends on if I decide to open this kit more than 3 more times. I am just grabbing at a number here, but it seems about right.
20210804_211624A by Chako, on Flickr

The contents of this one appears to be a cut above the SWAT kit. You get the usual fare. It seems all of these kits give you a bit of this and a bit of that.
20210804_211729A by Chako, on Flickr

The knife is actually very nice...except I would not want to carry it very far.
20210804_211844A by Chako, on Flickr

It is a lock back...which I much prefer over a liner lock. The texture of the handles is nice, but I find the metal otherwise to be a bit slippery in the hand. It weights a lot, but it is also built like the proverbial dump truck. The blade comes factory sharp. All in all, this is not a that bad knife. Surprise #1.
20210804_211913A by Chako, on Flickr

Included is a TACTICAL PEN. Please forgive my shouting...but it just sounds better when I yell it out. The Tactical pen offers 2 functions...writing, and breaking glass/hurting things.
20210804_211948A by Chako, on Flickr

At first I couldn't find how to open the pen up to replace the ink. I am happy to report there is a way, so that is a plus. The rear end is a very pointy tungsten steel tipped glass breaker and destroyer of soft things. I tried it on an empty can of Coke...and it went right through. A bit scary to think what this could do to an attacker. I guess this is why they call this a TACTICAL PEN! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Surprise #2.
20210804_212020A by Chako, on Flickr

All of these similar kits always seems to include the crappiest card tool out there. There are many different card tools out there that are much better, but this is the one you will invariably get stuck with. Not much to write about this...and that is no surprise!
20210804_212124A by Chako, on Flickr

The TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT was surprise 3#. Why am I shouting out the word TACTICAL, I will never know...but I think I should stop. The Flashlight is one of those super uncomfortable to hold things because of people's ideas of what compromises tactical. The flashlight is rather diminutive, and has a pocket clip. The button is one of rear located rubber affairs. At first, I wasn't sure what sort of battery it took...but found out it fits a single AA battery with extra room to spare around the cell. I also found out, once locked and loaded, that the flashlight has 2 power settings and an epileptic inducing blink mode.
20210804_212356A by Chako, on Flickr

20210804_212442A by Chako, on Flickr

The flashlight is not bad in the power department either. I can't tell you how many lumens, but it does appear to throw a nice wide beam. Overall, the flashlight is not bad all in all. Disclosure, I had the bright room lights on when taking this photo.
20210804_212457A by Chako, on Flickr

20210804_212519A by Chako, on Flickr

The included fire steel comes in a sexy plastic camo carrier with a lanyard loop. I thought it odd that no striker tool was included...then I remembered the tank of a knife. At least the fire part is of a nice size.
20210804_212652A by Chako, on Flickr

Included in the kit is a water proof container...that is empty. I guess you could turn this into a pill carrier, a micro survival kit, or whatever you want to fit in here.
20210804_212718A by Chako, on Flickr

Also included in this kit, is a carabiner with a single key ring. The closure system leaves a lot to be desired. I found that if you kept screwing upwards, you can bypass the opening. Awesome!  This means this is not all that secure. When it says "not for climbing", you better believe it.
20210804_212810A by Chako, on Flickr

I have a love hate relationship with wire saws. This one appears to be a cut above the others I have tried and failed to use because it comes with nice looking plastic grips. My problem with these, they fall apart for me after several strokes. I am not tempted to try this one out.
20210804_212825A by Chako, on Flickr

Last but not least, you get a survival bracelet included with this kit. This is the same design you can find in many a Dollar Store for a few bucks. If these fit you, they can be not all that bad. Problem for me, my wrist are such that I risk wrist lacerations from that metal scrapper. I will give them credit, whoever designed this tried their best to add functionality to a simple wrist band. A whistle, a compass, another fire steel and scraper round out the functionality. Well that and the paracord you could scavenge, but that would mean bye bye to the wrist strap.
20210804_212907A by Chako, on Flickr

I really should stop buying these kits...however, there are a few gems in this one so I do not feel overly bad letting my curiosity get the best of me. I knew it was going to be a smurf show when they called this cheap plastic brick a "bag".
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Yukon Gear Survival Go Bag.
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 04:57:49 AM
With all of these commercially available "Go Bags" that everybody and their uncle just buys off the shelf (I just randomly talked to an older lady that got one)...

I envision that when it is time to "go" there's going to be hundreds of people with backpacks just walking in all directions, crossing paths, some going to where someone else just came from.....  just walking aimlessly until they get tired...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 05:25:59 AM by ElevenBlade »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 05:23:19 AM
If they get there...their gear will fail the first time it is used.  >:D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 04:28:45 PM
Not much "bag" in this. Not much "survival" either. :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:06:38 PM
A lot of sucker though.  :rofl:

Actually, the more I think about this...good for mall ninjas.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 03:16:52 PM
I've always viewed these kits as the kind of things people who know little about someone, but need a gift usually end up buying. And they usually end up getting stuck in a drawer and never used.  I bought a similar "starter" survival kit with a copy of the US military survival manual for like $10 at Ollie's (a discount outlet store usually found in the Eastern US). Well, everything broke.

I usually build my own kits. Aside from the case, I have most of the stuff in there. I'd replace the knife and wire saw with a multitool or SAK (most of which weigh less than that huge thing). I have the Doan magnesium firestarter; which works great. I've gotten so many heavily discounted or Olights over the past 2-3 years, I lost count.  I have a bunch of the brass Fisher Cap-O-Matic space pens.  I bought a waterproof cellphone case (made by Plano, but just short of being as good as a Pelican; but still good) prior to a fishing trip to keep my phone and wallet in, but never used it (left them all in my buddy's truck while I was out on the water); but it ended up just being used to store my Arduino in.   I found some foam that fit perfectly, as whenever my Granddad has his hearing aids worked on, they are always shipped back to the audiologist in a cardboard box lined with foam sheets identical to those in your kit, and they're slightly larger, so I cut them to fit. I personally would also add some first aid stuff.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%