Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which is your favourite SAK blade locking system?

Poll

Which is your favourite SAK blade locking system? Please, consider usability and elegance mostly.

Wenger 120mm Linerlock (Sliding)
0 (0%)
Wenger 130mm Linerlock (Logo Pushing)
6 (25%)
Wenger 85mm Packlocklock (Lever Pushing)
1 (4.2%)
Victorinox 111mm Slidelock
9 (37.5%)
Victorinox 111mm Linerlock
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: June 10, 2022, 10:51:46 AM

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Which is your favourite SAK blade locking system? Please, consider usability and elegance mostly.
That's the question.
You may explain your vote of course.
I find the Wenger 130mm logo pushing the most elegant and most usable, at least for me who am right handed.
Combined with OHO and the perfect blade shape, they provide an extraordinary tool,  capable for most everyday uses.
Second comes the slidelock and the least usable for me is the Victorinos linerlock which has much resistance and it's awkward to use, even impossible to  be used without the help of another external force that will act to close the blade.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:44:38 AM by kkokkolis »

au Offline Echotech

Re: Which is your favourite SAK blade locking system?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 11:32:05 AM
:iagree: almost exactly

Push button on my Rangerwood is fave, slide lock next, VIC liner lock third and would just add the Wenger/Delemont “S” model press button last

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 12:36:04 PM
I voted for the 85mm Wenger because it's the only lock option in the SAK size range I prefer (85-91mm).  The 130mm push button is the most elegant, but I don't carry them often. 

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 06:40:05 PM
As others said, Wenger 130mm logo lock is effective and elegant, so it got my vote. I love it on the Wine Master. As for SAKs I would actually carry in real life, I like Vic's 111mm slide lock best, but it's far from elegant. The 85 mm's protruding lock is just plain ugly and a stupid design for something to carry in a narrow pocket.  Looks as if you cannot have both, elegant and actually EDC'able.  :dunno:

Edit: yes you can, 111 mm liner lock is rather elegant and pocketable, but I just don't like the mechanism very much. And I for one just hate the locking bottle opener - imo the convenience of having a locked screwdriver is far outweighed by the inconvenience of having to unlock the tool after every bottle you open.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:51:18 PM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 07:01:31 PM
I only have the 85mm lever and the 111 liner lock so not really qualified to vote.  They are ok though I agree that 85mm lever has a tendency to catch on things.  Both take a while to get used to so it's important to focus on the lock and unlock process for a while and get practiced with it so as not to sustain a nasty cut.  The 111 liner lock requires a moderately strong push on the unlock bar but after a little playing with it you learn the right direction to push from and how and it becomes quite smooth.   I think both these styles work fine and are safe as long as you practice a bit and work out a method for yourself which you always do in the same way.  Long ago I suppose I went through a similar process for opening and closing a non-locking SAK and I always use the same method to open and close a blade to this day.

* closed.jpg (Filesize: 196.75 KB)

* open.jpg (Filesize: 208.68 KB)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:18:50 PM by Bunk Tuppins »

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 09:22:30 PM
Voted linerlock on the 111mm. Normally I don't like linerlocks, but the SAKs are the exception.

The button lock on the 130mm is elegant, but you have push the button just right or it won't release.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 09:37:35 PM

I’m a fan of the slide lock on my Cowboy so I’ve voted concurrently  :drink:
:yeehaw:

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 12:43:01 AM
Here's another view of the locking mechanism on an Adventurer.  When I first got this I was a little dubious about the locking mechanism.  But after playing with it a bit and unlocking it over and over I grokked how to push the bar with my thumb using very little effort.  It now seems easy and not a big deal to unlock it.    Both the large blade and the driver blade have a half lock in the middle, which helps make it a bit safer.

* 011a.jpg (Filesize: 438.13 KB)

* 015a.jpg (Filesize: 429.59 KB)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:50:48 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 02:20:16 AM
Slidelock for me, but the push-logo Wenger is a very close second.  My left-handed bias might have a lot to do with this though. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 03:26:58 AM
Slide lock isn't as strong, but it's really easy to unlock.

Packlock is really painful with extended use. Because the shield lock is flush with the scale, it can be difficult to release sometimes. But, it's easily my third favorite.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 04:41:27 AM
1.  No lock - I prefer a slip joint SAK
2.  Liner lock - dead simple, easiest to clean, probably most rugged, bonus that the large screwdriver also locks
3.  Shield lock - probably the most elegant
4.  Slide lock - not as strong, more complex mechanism, no lock for the large screwdriver
5.  Pack lock - just why?  I’ve actually not used one, and won’t be buying one, as I have no use for a lock on an 85 mm SAK. I’ve have also heard basically nothing good about them, from snagging on pockets to being uncomfortable in use

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 11:04:07 AM
I love the idea of the Packlock, but my S557 does have a fair few flaws. I've seen some where the LOCK tab has been trimmed and better rounded so it doesn't catch on pockets, and that fixes a lot of the issues.
I fnd the liner lock on my Soldier model makes the knife really quite uncomfortable to hold, almost as bad as the keyring on the Pioneer.

I think I'd like the sliding lock the most, out of all these, though I've yet to lay hands on either this or the logo lock versions.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 04:56:11 AM
Personally I prefer non-locking blades, but since you asked...

I'm only familiar with the 111mm liner lock & 85mm packlock.

Pluses: both are easy to release - the 85mm lock in particular - & I like the half stop on their blades (nail nick ones on the 111mm, anyway). I love the locking flat SD on the 111mm knives.

Minuses: Well, I just don't like locking blades! As already said, the 85mm Delémont lock is purposely designed to snag in pockets. Don't even consider mixing one of those knives with your keyring! A pouch is the best home for them. It's unfortunate that the only Delémonts with small blades have locking large blades as otherwise I love my S101.
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 05:52:26 AM
5.  Pack lock - just why?  I’ve actually not used one, and won’t be buying one, as I have no use for a lock on an 85 mm SAK. I’ve have also heard basically nothing good about them, from snagging on pockets to being uncomfortable in use

Despite what I wrote above, if one must have a medium sized SAK with a locking blade, the 85mm lock is OK. It's not that bad to hold when you have the lock lever between your index & middle fingers; & you get used to it quickly as long as you don't moonlight with a non-locking knife. The blade has excellent snap, too.
Rambler

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 06:31:49 AM
The slide lock is easy to remove thereby reverting the SAK to a simple and effective slipjoint. Useful for those of us who live in non lock friendly carry locales. I'm a fan of liner locks, like them a lot, but for this reason I prefer the older style slide lock and wish it was more current.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 06:54:51 AM
Another vote for Wenger logo/liner lock.  I only wish they could incorporate it into 111mm line, that'd be really sweet!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 04:03:39 PM
Voted for the 111mm slide-lock and to my great surprise it is the current winner

Dont know why I like it - I just do - It is a clever design - and for all the talk from Vic about liner locks being tougher - The slide lock must be very very safer and secure
I cant really see how it would fail, if you know how it works - See SAKWiki

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD