Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Challenge of Champions in 2022!

SteveP · 501 · 10696

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Re: The Challenge of Champions in 2022!
Reply #60 on: February 15, 2022, 12:17:03 PM
I'm in the Combo Edge challenge until 3/2, so I'll have to start an finish a little late. 

My Champion story isn't much of a story.  I wanted a SwissChamp, but I found a deal on a used Champion and thought, "hey, it's close enough."  Then I bought a black SwissChamp, and then a red one.   :facepalm:  It will be good to get it out and in use for a month.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: February 16, 2022, 05:18:32 AM
I'm in the Combo Edge challenge until 3/2, so I'll have to start an finish a little late. 

My Champion story isn't much of a story.  I wanted a SwissChamp, but I found a deal on a used Champion and thought, "hey, it's close enough."  Then I bought a black SwissChamp, and then a red one.   :facepalm:  It will be good to get it out and in use for a month.
Don't feel bad, Fireman. I've got three Champions and three Swiss Champs, with a fourth on the way.   :facepalm:
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #62 on: February 16, 2022, 12:28:22 PM
Don't feel bad, Fireman. I've got three Champions and three Swiss Champs, with a fourth on the way.   :facepalm:

Well, I've come to the right place.  :D  If not a support group, at least it's a group of enablers.  :rofl:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #63 on: February 22, 2022, 05:20:39 PM
In playing around with my two Champions, I’ve noticed that one of them has the one-piece plastic magnifier and the other has the glass lens in transparent housing. But the first one’s scissors are in better shape!

Difficult choices…
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: February 22, 2022, 06:13:59 PM
1.  SteveP
2.  Jackpine54
3.  glenfiddich1983
4.  Alan K.
5.  GA1dad
6.  Fireman
7.  ulzhan
8.  hsherzfeld

Maybe:
- NutSAK
- kamakiri

Might be a good time for my 38 year old Champion to stretch her legs a bit. Been watching this thread since August, but like everything in the last couple of years…I wasn’t sure what I’d be doing on blurrsday. lol
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: February 23, 2022, 12:31:41 AM
In playing around with my two Champions, I’ve noticed that one of them has the one-piece plastic magnifier and the other has the glass lens in transparent housing. But the first one’s scissors are in better shape!

Difficult choices…
The rules allow for swapping out Champions during the challenge, so use both!

Each of my three will make an appearance.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: February 23, 2022, 12:34:49 AM
1.  SteveP
2.  Jackpine54
3.  glenfiddich1983
4.  Alan K.
5.  GA1dad
6.  Fireman
7.  ulzhan
8.  hsherzfeld

Maybe:
- NutSAK
- kamakiri

Might be a good time for my 38 year old Champion to stretch her legs a bit. Been watching this thread since August, but like everything in the last couple of years…I wasn’t sure what I’d be doing on blurrsday. lol
Definitely join in!

My old Champion "a" that you helped me date last Fall will be making an appearance.   :D
SAKs:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: February 23, 2022, 01:21:47 AM
Definitely join in!

My old Champion "a" that you helped me date last Fall will be making an appearance.   :D
:D

I’m probably in SteveP…not so sure about the lineup of knives that’ll participate.

Probably at least these two. I don’t have any 6 layer Champions in the EDC pile right now. Been a while since I carried anything with the LNF.   :dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: February 23, 2022, 01:40:45 AM
Maybe…

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: February 23, 2022, 02:43:54 AM
Come on... use all of them!
 :pok:

What's the logo on the read one? Looks like a blacksmith?

And are those horn scales on the other?
SAKs:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 23, 2022, 06:43:34 AM
Come on... use all of them!
 :pok:
Not enough days in the challenge.  ;)

And not enough days to prepare that many to use.  :ahhh

What's the logo on the read one? Looks like a blacksmith?
That’s it!  From a damaged ‘84 100th Anniversary

And are those horn scales on the other?

Staghorn. ‘63-ish Champion ‘a’ to boot.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #71 on: February 25, 2022, 07:59:16 PM
Sign me up!

Got a Champion Plus in good condition off the 'bay last month. Nice "little" knife. I don't love the plyers on the Swisschamp, The added bulk (~15% thickness and ~20% weight) doesn't make up for a pretty meh set of plyers. They're too small for most general work, and too big for most detail work. Ironically, I did just use the plyers on my Swisschamp today, but I think I'll make it without them for the month.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:21:06 PM by BPRoberts »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: February 25, 2022, 08:55:29 PM
Sign me up!

Got a Champion Plus in good condition off the 'bay last month. Nice "little" knife. I don't love the plyers on the Swisschamp, The added bulk (~15% thickness and ~20% weight) doesn't make up for a pretty meh set of plyers. They're too small for most general work, and too big for most of detail work. Ironically, I did just use the plyers on my Swisschamp today, but I think I'll make it without them for the month.

Whenever I read points against the pliers…I wonder what the opinion would be if the thinner ~2.5mm pliers from ‘86-‘88 were tried first.

I use mine a lot, but considering the compromises, I too, can live without them for a month.

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #73 on: February 25, 2022, 09:20:40 PM
Having only used the modern Vic plyers on the Swisschamp (Champion is a much better name BTW) they look like the worst of the major designs. The thinner ones are smaller/lighter and (I assume) would be better for fine work. The Wenger design has the sliding jaw, which makes them more versatile, and a wire cutter, which is a tool I'd appreciate having,

I wish we could get the Ranger plyer on more models, it's a great piece of engineering, limited to a few knives that I have little interest in outside of them.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: February 26, 2022, 03:50:40 AM
The Vics have a dinky wire cutter toward the pivot in the back of the jaws. I haven’t really used the Wenger pliers I own very often or much at all. But I find the slip joint weak seeming and the leverage to be to little to be useful.

I find them useful for odd tasks like item retrieval in a deep recess or small sharp bends. Even pulling weeds like from cracks or control joints in paving.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 26, 2022, 04:29:43 AM
Sign me up!

Got a Champion Plus in good condition off the 'bay last month. Nice "little" knife. I don't love the plyers on the Swisschamp, The added bulk (~15% thickness and ~20% weight) doesn't make up for a pretty meh set of plyers. They're too small for most general work, and too big for most detail work. Ironically, I did just use the plyers on my Swisschamp today, but I think I'll make it without them for the month.
Welcome to the challenge, BPRoberts!

1.  SteveP
2.  Jackpine54
3.  glenfiddich1983
4.  Alan K.
5.  GA1dad
6.  Fireman
7.  ulzhan
8.  hsherzfeld
9.  BPRoberts

Maybe:
- NutSAK
- kamakiri

kamakiri, you're in on this, right?

NutSAK, have you decided if you're in the challenge?
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: February 26, 2022, 04:39:44 AM
We're just a few days out from the start of the Challenge of Champions!

I hope all you Champions are getting your SAKs sharpened and ready.

Here's a recap of the challenge rules:
• The challenge is open to all Champion models - "a", "b", "c", and Plus. You are welcome to swap out Champions during the challenge.
• Every day carry your Champion and post a photo of it in this thread. Ideally an action shot of it in use, but glamour shots are OK, too.
• Please label each official daily post so the mods can follow your progress easily, e.g. "Day 5".
• We start on March 1, so the challenge will end on March 30.

After completing the challenge, please post your thoughts on 30 days of Championing. Will you continue to carry it regularly? Did you find it lacked anything?

Participants completing the challenge will earn the SAK STACK Challenge badge.

:cheers:
SAKs:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: February 26, 2022, 05:57:25 AM
kamakiri, you're in on this, right?
Sir, yes Sir!  :salute:

1.  SteveP
2.  Jackpine54
3.  glenfiddich1983
4.  Alan K.
5.  GA1dad
6.  Fireman
7.  ulzhan
8.  hsherzfeld
9.  BPRoberts
10. kamakiri

Maybe:
- NutSAK

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: February 26, 2022, 06:31:38 AM
Excellent!
SAKs:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: February 26, 2022, 05:54:55 PM
Excellent!

I doubt I’ll use 30 for a full rotation effort, but we’ll see.

This ‘77 is in nice shape and will be joining the party after it’s cleaned. Most of the original factory grind is there and it slices paper fine as-is. 

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: February 26, 2022, 06:44:52 PM
I'm ready to go! I am also issuing myself a sub-challenge to use all of the Champion features over the course of the challenge. This is just for myself, but please feel free to join in if you'd like!

Champion C

1- Large blade                                  13- Small blade
2- Corkscrew                                    14- Can opener
3- Small screwdriver                        15- Cap lifter
4- Screwdriver                                  16- Wire stripper
5- Reamer                                        17- Scissors
6- Phillips screwdriver                      18- Magnifying glass
7- Wood saw                                    19- Fish scaler
8- Hook disgorger                             20- Ruler
9- Nail file                                          21- Metal file
10- Nail cleaner                                22- Metal saw
11- Fine screwdriver                         23- Keyring
12- Tweezers                                    24- Toothpick

Here is the Champion I will be using for the challenge.

* 20220226_123501 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 151.49 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #81 on: February 26, 2022, 11:33:10 PM
I'll take a shot at it. I've used the full Swisschamp rotation, but not in 30 days. I'm sure I can find some sort of mischief to justify it though.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: February 26, 2022, 11:56:04 PM
Show content
Can’t find too many uses for the scaler itself. I think the only actual use I’ve had for it is to cut styrofoam.  :dunno:   

And I don’t mean the other parts like the ruler or disgorger which I’ve used a fair amount.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: February 27, 2022, 02:52:49 AM
I'll take a shot at it. I've used the full Swisschamp rotation, but not in 30 days. I'm sure I can find some sort of mischief to justify it though.

Show content
Can’t find too many uses for the scaler itself. I think the only actual use I’ve had for it is to cut styrofoam.  :dunno:   

And I don’t mean the other parts like the ruler or disgorger which I’ve used a fair amount.

Awesome BP! Some of the features will certainly take some creativity to find a use for in these modern times. I figure most of them I can use at work. I figure if there is one or two that I can't find a use for, maybe I can just spotlight them in a post. Like kamakiri said,, that scaler is pretty task specific.
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: February 27, 2022, 04:26:46 AM

I doubt I’ll use 30 for a full rotation effort, but we’ll see.

This ‘77 is in nice shape and will be joining the party after it’s cleaned. Most of the original factory grind is there and it slices paper fine as-is. 

Looks like it just came out of the box!
 :tu:
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: February 27, 2022, 04:30:55 AM
I'm ready to go! I am also issuing myself a sub-challenge to use all of the Champion features over the course of the challenge. This is just for myself, but please feel free to join in if you'd like!

Champion C

1- Large blade                                  13- Small blade
2- Corkscrew                                    14- Can opener
3- Small screwdriver                        15- Cap lifter
4- Screwdriver                                  16- Wire stripper
5- Reamer                                        17- Scissors
6- Phillips screwdriver                      18- Magnifying glass
7- Wood saw                                    19- Fish scaler
8- Hook disgorger                             20- Ruler
9- Nail file                                          21- Metal file
10- Nail cleaner                                22- Metal saw
11- Fine screwdriver                         23- Keyring
12- Tweezers                                    24- Toothpick

Here is the Champion I will be using for the challenge.
Great idea for an optional extra challenge!

How old are your Champion and sheath?
SAKs:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: February 27, 2022, 04:35:32 AM
Looks like it just came out of the box!
 :tu:

Show content
Yeah, it’s about the best shape I’ve seen from a knife from the ‘70s that wasn’t in a box or sheath for 40 to 50 years. There’s dust and junk to clean out for sure, but I might not even clean it on second thought.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: February 27, 2022, 11:45:40 PM

How old are your Champion and sheath?

Honestly, I really couldn't tell ya. Somewhere between '73 and '85. I am not the original owner.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: February 28, 2022, 12:41:41 AM
Honestly, I really couldn't tell ya. Somewhere between '73 and '85. I am not the original owner.

‘73 to ‘76 can be eliminated from what I see in that one pic. The thick 1mm liner did not exist in 91mm until after that and the plastic tweezer head (somewhat) confirms as those don’t show up until ‘77.

So I’m sure it will have the crossbow obverse tang stamp and not the blank rear found late ‘73 into ‘75.

I’ll try to ID more of the tools during the challenge.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #89 on: February 28, 2022, 06:47:14 PM
My pair of Champions is ready!

I have a (mostly) matching set, like a brace of fine dueling pistols.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $26.00
PayPal Fees: $1.57
Net Balance: $24.43
Below Goal: $275.57
Site Currency: USD