Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Challenge of Champions in 2022!

SteveP · 501 · 14563

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: The Challenge of Champions in 2022!
Reply #90 on: February 28, 2022, 07:55:44 PM
This ‘67 Hoffritz is going to participate. Good enough to use as-is.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: March 01, 2022, 03:41:40 AM
Champion Plus reporting for duty!

1. What's the easiest way to get pics on the forum? Phone>Computer>Forum seems like it's going to get tiring doing daily.

2. Is the inline Phillips sticking out more than it should? The full head is exposed, which isn't true on any of my other knives. Anything I can do about it?

* 2.jpg (Filesize: 126.67 KB)

* test.jpg (Filesize: 137.74 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: March 01, 2022, 03:50:57 AM
Champion Plus reporting for duty!

1. What's the easiest way to get pics on the forum? Phone>Computer>Forum seems like it's going to get tiring doing daily.

2. Is the inline Phillips sticking out more than it should? The full head is exposed, which isn't true on any of my other knives. Anything I can do about it?

I upload directly from the phone after resizing to be under the max byte size. Otherwise I host it elsewhere like Flickr to post higher res pics.

The newer styles of inline Phillips with any of the clear mag bezel stick up a few degrees more than the older, longer style that went with the gray mags. Looks normal to me. The old ones were almost flush with the adjacent can opener.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 03:58:32 AM by kamakiri »
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: March 01, 2022, 04:02:45 AM
I haven’t tried modifying one to sit lower, but seems possible to me while apart. Big ‘maybe’ to do it in situ.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: March 01, 2022, 04:05:16 AM
Thanks for taking a look. It's not a problem, per se, just one of those things that feels wrong. I guess I'll see how much, if at all, it bothers me over the course of the month and go from there.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: March 01, 2022, 04:26:45 AM
My pair of Champions is ready!

I have a (mostly) matching set, like a brace of fine dueling pistols.
Very cool!
 :tu: :like:
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: March 01, 2022, 05:10:13 AM
Thanks for taking a look. It's not a problem, per se, just one of those things that feels wrong. I guess I'll see how much, if at all, it bothers me over the course of the month and go from there.

:cheers: You’re welcome.  Having the old style for about 33 years before getting one of the new ones also led me to think ‘something feels wrong’ about them. Functionally, they’re shorter and stubbier toward the tang so their reach isn’t as good into deep recessed screw holes like for some electronics. They also don’t fit smaller 0 or 1 sized screws as well. Came up with a mod/fix for that posted somewhere in this forum not too long ago.

Here:
kamakiri’s fix for the newer/short in-line Phillips
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 05:17:28 AM by kamakiri »

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #97 on: March 01, 2022, 03:38:00 PM
Let’s get things started!

Day 1
Used my Champion to access Thin Mints.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: March 01, 2022, 05:32:56 PM
kamakiri - Day 1

I love my old, original 1984 Champion!

The new bevel style gray mag is how I know it was produced after the ‘84 100th Anniversary Champions…which had the last of the non-beveled gray mags. The fact that this knife was gifted to me mid-year in ‘84 authenticates it’s production in early ‘84.

Got things kicked off with some rivet inspections and reviewing an example of some re-peening and rounding work.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #99 on: March 01, 2022, 07:51:13 PM
Day 01
Starting the Challenge of Champions while finishing up the Combo Edge challenge. I haven't used my Champion in some time and about broke my thumb nail opening the Phillips driver and the magnifying lens for this picture.  I guess it needs a bath in mineral oil.

* March of Champions 2022 01.jpg (Filesize: 149.02 KB)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #100 on: March 01, 2022, 08:36:23 PM
DAY 1  In this corner, we have my Champion.  I bought this around the turn of the century.  Here it is compared to my more favorite Handyman, showing off the fluted corkscrew, and flaunting its add on grip scales.  I thought it would add some traction, and it does, but I haven't found it to be better than the scales themselves.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: March 01, 2022, 09:02:48 PM
Let’s get things started!

Day 1
Used my Champion to access Thin Mints.

Shoot yeah,,,, can't think of a better use!!!

Looks like we're off to a good start!! Great pictures everyone!!

Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: March 01, 2022, 09:05:02 PM
Day 1

Using the pen to take notes in The Green Mile for grad school.

Tools Used

Pen- Note taking

Tools Remaining
Tweezers, Toothpick, Pin, Keyring, Large Blade, Small Blade, Metal File, Metal Saw, Nail Cleaner, Wood Saw, Ruler, Fishscaler, Hook Disgorger, Scissors, Inline Phillips, Mag Glass, Bottle Opener, Flat Driver, Wire Stripper, Can Opener, Small Phillips, Corkscrew, Eyeglass Driver, Reamer, Hook, Technician's Screwdriver, Chisel

* pen.jpg (Filesize: 98.51 KB)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:17:18 PM by BPRoberts »

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: March 01, 2022, 09:13:52 PM
Challenge of Champions - Day 1 of 30

I get to check off two features of the Champion today. Last year the cork end cap of a favorite fishing rod fell off while fishing. I tossed it in the tackle box to be repaired at a later date. Now that spring is teasing us, it is time to repair it. The surface to be glued was quite smooth, so I used the fish scaler to score and roughen up the surface and hopefully create a stronger bond.  When I went to roughen the rod side, I realized that the shaft was protruding from the cork handle a good bit and probably was the reason the end cap came loose to begin with. Since I had the Champion in hand, I used the metal file to remove some material from the shaft and ensure the two surfaces would achieve a strong bond.

Champion C
1- Large blade                                  13- Small blade
2- Corkscrew                                    14- Can opener
3- Small screwdriver                        15- Cap lifter
4- Screwdriver                                  16- Wire stripper
5- Reamer                                        17- Scissors
6- Phillips screwdriver                      18- Magnifying glass
7- Wood saw                                    19- Fish scaler check
8- Hook disgorger                             20- Ruler
9- Nail file                                          21- Metal file check
10- Nail cleaner                                22- Metal saw
11- Fine screwdriver                         23- Keyring
12- Tweezers                                    24- Toothpick

* 20220228_143522 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 44.5 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: March 01, 2022, 09:19:17 PM
Day 1

Using the pen to take notes in The Green Mile for grad school.

Tools Used

Pen- Note taking

Tools Remaining
Tweezers, Toothpick, Pin, Keyring, Large Blade, Small Blade, Metal File, Metal Saw, Nail Cleaner, Wood Saw, Ruler, Fishscaler, Hook Disgorger, Scissors, Inline Phillips, Mag Glass, Bottle Opener, Flat Driver, Wire Stripper, Can Opener, Small Phillips, Corkscrew, Eyeglass Driver, Reamer, Hook, Technician's Screwdriver, Chisel

Nice! I need to get a pen worked into my EDC.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: March 01, 2022, 11:59:22 PM
Nice! I need to get a pen worked into my EDC.

It's the number one reason I don't EDC my alox knives. I could (and probably should) get keychain pen or something, but having it right there in the scales is so convenient.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: March 02, 2022, 12:11:49 AM
It's the number one reason I don't EDC my alox knives. I could (and probably should) get keychain pen or something, but having it right there in the scales is so convenient.

Yeah,,,, I am a fan of the toothpick and tweezers. I love having them with me. But I recently acquired an Alox Cadet and I really like it as an EDC. An alox Cadet with toothpick, tweezers and a pocket clip would be pretty ideal for me. Of course most days I carry a traditional slipjoint, so in reality I need an independent ink pen. I've thought about getting a Fisher Space Pen, but I'm not ready to commit.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #107 on: March 02, 2022, 01:18:05 AM
I've carried a black Fisher space pen for years, long before I found out about SAK plus scales and their pens. So my SAK pens rarely get used.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #108 on: March 02, 2022, 01:32:59 AM
Yeah,,,, I am a fan of the toothpick and tweezers. I love having them with me. But I recently acquired an Alox Cadet and I really like it as an EDC. An alox Cadet with toothpick, tweezers and a pocket clip would be pretty ideal for me. Of course most days I carry a traditional slipjoint, so in reality I need an independent ink pen. I've thought about getting a Fisher Space Pen, but I'm not ready to commit.
Who says you need slotted scales to carry the T&T?  You could sew your own pocket scabbard to hold and protect your alox Cadet and a space pen and also have slots for the T&T.  McStitchy made a couple that seem to have worked out.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: March 02, 2022, 02:06:22 AM
Who says you need slotted scales to carry the T&T?  You could sew your own pocket scabbard to hold and protect your alox Cadet and a space pen and also have slots for the T&T.  McStitchy made a couple that seem to have worked out.

You are correct, of course. I never really embraced the pocket scabbard thing. I've carried belt scabbards with a few slots before, but never really cared for them either. I tend to strictly use my pockets. I'm not much of a keychain person either,, can't stand the bulk. I used to keep a placker type toothpick in my wallet,,, but haven't in a while.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: March 02, 2022, 04:02:45 AM
Nice uses fellow Champions!

Minor day 1 update:

Mail call duty and light box breakdown and used the metal saw and files to assist with some mod work. 38 year old tool still has some teeth. Making some incompatible parts work nicely together.

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #111 on: March 02, 2022, 04:58:57 AM
Great first day posts awl!

Day 1

My champion and sheath. I got this one in 1985 I think, been a while and I've slept since then. Today I used the can opener to free some green beans for supper.
KIMG1711.jpg
* KIMG1711.jpg (Filesize: 119.8 KB)

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: March 02, 2022, 05:06:25 AM
Day 1

Kicking things off with my '83 Champion, my first ever SAK.

Not a very exciting start to the challenge as I used it for some nail maintenance - scissors and file.

Sure feels like the file has more "bite" than the ones on my Swiss Champs. It has a cross-cut pattern, but different than the one on my Champs, all of which are pre-stainless steel file. Nothing on SAKWiki about the earlier cross-cut pattern.

* 2022-03-01 21.55.01.jpg (Filesize: 511.45 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: March 02, 2022, 06:11:57 AM
Day 1

Kicking things off with my '83 Champion, my first ever SAK.

Not a very exciting start to the challenge as I used it for some nail maintenance - scissors and file.

Sure feels like the file has more "bite" than the ones on my Swiss Champs. It has a cross-cut pattern, but different than the one on my Champs, all of which are pre-stainless steel file. Nothing on SAKWiki about the earlier cross-cut pattern.

Hard to say for me if it is or not. Mine has performed well over the years it was used most. But I’ve gone thru more mid-late ‘90s (usually date coded ‘95-‘96) Troubleshooters.  Those saws got heavily used and swapped out, so I can’t say objectively if they’re not as good or durable as our originals. Just gonna remain suspect for now. I might never really know, because I’m starting to primarily use newer stainless ones more and am starting to convert what I can for the users to those saws…including some 84mm.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: March 02, 2022, 02:22:23 PM
Great uses everyone!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #115 on: March 02, 2022, 04:28:55 PM
Nice uses fellow Champions!

Minor day 1 update:

Mail call duty and light box breakdown and used the metal saw and files to assist with some mod work. 38 year old tool still has some teeth. Making some incompatible parts work nicely together.
Isn’t that SAK cannibalism?

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #116 on: March 02, 2022, 08:03:01 PM
Day 02
I gave the Champion a generous application of mineral oil and all of the implements are now easy enough to open.  I'm not sure of the year of my Champion but I have the grey magnifier, cross cut file, and the saw is very aggressive and sharp.

* March of Champions 2022 02.jpg (Filesize: 146.87 KB)

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #117 on: March 02, 2022, 09:34:17 PM
Day 02
I removed a staple using the can opener.

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: March 02, 2022, 11:15:06 PM
Isn’t that SAK cannibalism?

Maybe.  :dunno:

:D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: March 02, 2022, 11:31:33 PM
kamakiri - Day 2

Changed to the Champion Plus today. Used the Stainless Saw which I’ve generally come to prefer for shaping nickel silver. Used it to clean up the snipped off key ring lug for a mod in progress.

:mail:

Also did mail haul duty. Bunch of stuff to cut open from this USPS bin.

EDIT:
Minor added task
Used Plastic Magnifier to inspect some mod work on a Troubleshooter since I can’t use it…mod it more!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 02:00:48 AM by kamakiri »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%