Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hercules, what good is it?

Valkie · 27 · 2580

au Offline Valkie

Hercules, what good is it?
on: August 16, 2021, 12:57:07 AM
I have had my Vic Hercules for a couple of years now.

And to be honest, it isnt my favorite, or even my go to knife.

It has a lot of very useful and functional components, but its just too cumbersome to me.

I find myself reaching for my smaller SAKs or even my Leatherman tools before I grab the Herc.

Sometimes I force myself to take it, but its never a pocket knife, it always needs a pouch.

Is it just me or do others find this issue?
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Hercules, what good is it?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 01:26:08 AM
I keep mine on my nightstand. I have a Nite Ize clip on it, so if I do any light travel (like a few hours away) I clip it in the pocket of my backpack.

I use it quite a bit.

If it had a file, it’d be my favorite SAK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline Valkie

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 09:08:41 AM
That's what I mean.

We keep it on hand, but as a daily carry, it's just too damn big.

Used the saw to cut a cane.
Used the screwdrivers several times
And the pliers to remove some things.

But as a daily carry.......nah.

My daily carry is my alox  farmer x.
Or my other alox,  basic, not sure what it's called.

I can't even bring myself to carry my leatherman wave every day, same problem, not pocket size.
I find my leatherman wingman a better option.

Perhaps I'm just a little more used to the 90 to 93mm size?

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 12:02:15 PM
I prefer belt to pocket carry, so I don't find my Herc to be a problem. 

au Offline Valkie

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 01:46:42 PM
I prefer belt to pocket carry, so I don't find my Herc to be a problem.

That's the problem in Australia.
Carrying a knife on a belt is simply asking the cops to arrest you.

A knife has to be carried in your pocket and as long as you don't flaunt it around, no one knows but you and anyone you help.

Even a classic is illegal.
Screwdrivers, nail files, I have seen an old guy bailed up in the airport for accidently carrying some nail clippers.

I can just see it.
80 year old guy holds the entire plane to ransom with a pair of nail clippers.

But intellectual capacity is not why our tailor security or grubberment are selected for their jobs.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 02:50:44 PM
That's the problem in Australia.
Carrying a knife on a belt is simply asking the cops to arrest you.

A knife has to be carried in your pocket and as long as you don't flaunt it around, no one knows but you and anyone you help.

Even a classic is illegal.
Screwdrivers, nail files, I have seen an old guy bailed up in the airport for accidently carrying some nail clippers.

I can just see it.
80 year old guy holds the entire plane to ransom with a pair of nail clippers.

But intellectual capacity is not why our tailor security or grubberment are selected for their jobs.

I had no idea.  :o  There are places here, usually cities, with blade length, dangerous weapon, or open carry restrictions.  Fortunately I can carry any knife openly, and I can carry one as a weapon under my concealed weapon permit, except in Miami and a few other places.  With your rules in mind, I can see why the Herc doesn't serve much purpose for you.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 03:37:20 PM
I really like the Hercules.

I did a 30-day challenge with it. Initially it seemed a bit too big. But after carrying for 30 days, I liked it.

I prefer it to the pliers based multitools because I don't need pliers as much as I need a knife. But, those pliers (super tweezers) come in handy, especially when fishing.

For carry, I use a small lanyard attached to my belt that clipped to the Herc. This keeps the weight of the Herc on the belt and prevents the SAK from falling sideways in my pocket.

I think I prefer the Outrider overall, but the Herc definitely has a place in my SAK drawer.   :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 04:03:11 PM
I did the 30 Day Challenge with the Hercules. Twice.  :cheers:
I like it. It's a big boy, but it has a massive blade, a long saw, two great Phillips drivers, great scissors, and a few other things, even tiny pliers which I like. And the thickness fills my hand nicely.
The big thing here is weight. You can carry a Wave for that weight, and have better pliers, but as long as you don't need pliers, the Hercules is fine.
You already have one, so you know best of all if it suits you or not. It's good, but it is definitely overkill for some people.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 05:38:00 PM
You can carry a Wave for that weight, and have better pliers, but as long as you don't need pliers, the Hercules is fine.

:iagree:  From my perspective, the Wave is a set of pliers with a knife and the Hercules is a knife with some small pliers.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 12:05:55 PM
Once upon a time I tried to EDC a Hercules. Got a good deal on one though I was just eyeing an Outrider for some reason.  It’s the old slide lock version.

I carried it in my right front pocket along with my wallet. The advantage is that it stays upright parallel to the wallet where I can easily get it. 91mm sometimes go under the wallet.

Anyway, I just had a desk job and they just inspected bags going into the building. I stopped with the Herc coz I was ok with the Adventurer and the Micra (I’ve been EDC since 2001) combo. Eventually I was able to make do with just a Waiter.

But like what I said, I had a desk job and the most use the Herc saw was opening packages.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 12:56:52 PM
:iagree:  From my perspective, the Wave is a set of pliers with a knife and the Hercules is a knife with some small pliers.

:iagree:

The Wave was my EDC for several years and the blade was my most used tool. So I've had my eye on a Hercules.

As we all have existential crises on MTo, my current one is - I spent a weekend with a Buck in one pocket and a SAK in the other... And the Buck knife got the most use.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 03:57:24 PM
These things happen.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 10:28:24 PM
Amici,
After I saw this post, SO I had to add my two cents.. 

Personally when I do carry a SAK, I have leaned more and more to the "big guy" 111 mm models, specifically, either the Work Champ, or it's slightly lesser brother, the Hercules.. 

The biggest gripe most folks have indicated that they do not is because of their  size and the weight. Sure there are either factory and or custom made sheaths for these available online which perform as intended, but still these are not for everyone.. 

Years ago, I found a solution to this conundrum, I stumbled across an EDC accruements website, and they happened to develop a way of carry for either 111 mm Vic's or likewise similar sized MT's comfortably and on a simple belt.. This is basically a large belt loop that is made of some sort of stretch retention material that once slipped over your trouser belt, can and will safely secure your 111mm Hercules on your persons once inserted into the loop with no issues.   

Hopefully the pics I have attached will better illustrate what I am trying to convey.  Being an IT guy, I usually prefer to carry the Hercules when in the office for a host of reasons. The number one being is that it is very "sheeple" friendly.. When they see me produce this tool with its red or black scales, once they see the cross and shield I get responses of, "oh cool, is that a swiss army knife?" ..  Where I respond with an "affirmative" and continue to get the task completed, without worries of complaints from the powers that be..

The only downside is if you plan on allot of physical activity, you should use this option with a stiff belt, not one made out of a pliable material as the loop itself.

In the beginning I used the loop with a USGI nylon BDU belt, and after a day of extreme physical activity, my Hercules actually wiggled itself out.. It didn't occur suddenly, but after engaging in some serious movements where the belt face would flex along with the loop, then ploop!! I do not blame the loop, but the activity and the belt..

But once I switched to a leather or some other stiff backed belt, It never occurred a second time.

So don't rule the Hercules out as an EDC option.. There are solutions for comfortable carry out there, one just needs to be openminded to and determined in doing so, and be prepared to look.

Cheers,
Serge
Pic 0.jpeg
* Pic 0.jpeg (Filesize: 223.11 KB)
pic 1.jpeg
* pic 1.jpeg (Filesize: 190.64 KB)
pic 2.jpeg
* pic 2.jpeg (Filesize: 170.01 KB)
pic 3.jpeg
* pic 3.jpeg (Filesize: 103.49 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 12:01:52 AM
Amici,

Personally when I do carry a SAK, I have leaned more and more to the "big guy" 111 mm models, specifically, either the Work Champ, or it's slightly lesser brother, the Hercules.. 

The biggest gripe most folks have indicated that they do not is because of their  size and the weight. Sure there are either factory and or custom made sheaths for these available online which perform as intended, but still these are not for everyone.. 

Years ago, I found a solution to this conundrum, I stumbled across an EDC accruements website, and they happened to develop a way of carry for either 111 mm Vic's or likewise similar sized MT's comfortably and on a simple belt.. This is basically a large belt loop that is made of some sort of stretch retention material that once slipped over your trouser belt, can and will safely secure your 111mm Hercules on your persons once inserted into the loop with no issues.   

Hopefully the pics I have attached will better illustrate what I am trying to convey.  Being an IT guy, I usually prefer to carry the Hercules when in the office for a host of reasons. The number one being is that it is very "sheeple" friendly.. When they see me produce this tool with its red or black scales, once they see the cross and shield I get responses of, "oh cool, is that a swiss army knife?" ..  Where I respond with an "affirmative" and continue to get the task completed, without worries of complaints from the powers that be..

The only downside is if you plan on allot of physical activity, you should use this option with a stiff belt, not one made out of a pliable material as the loop itself.

In the beginning I used the loop with a USGI nylon BDU belt, and after a day of extreme physical activity, my Hercules actually wiggled itself out.. It didn't occur suddenly, but after engaging in some serious movements where the belt face would flex along with the loop, then ploop!! I do not blame the loop, but the activity and the belt..

But once I switched to a leather or some other stiff backed belt, It never occurred a second time.

So don't rule the Hercules out as an EDC option.. There are solutions for comfortable carry out there, one just needs to be openminded to and determined in doing so, and be prepared to look.

Cheers,
Serge
:like:
I've got 91mm SAKs and this would work great as a horizontal carry option for them. More low-key than a vertical belt pouch.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 06:55:45 AM
I think what the Hercules really excels at is being about $20.00 cheaper than the Work Champ.  I don't have either yet but I'm leaning towards getting the Work Champ. :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 04:09:33 PM
Ranger bands also work well to attach items to the belt.  I keep my pepper spray attache with to my belt this way.  Simple secure solution. 

I have a Work Champ but I have not tried to carry it outside the house.  I'll be finally getting back to comping soon so well see how it carries then.  I did take it on a short hike my daughter and I took.  I kept it in a pack tho so not a big deal. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 04:30:50 PM
The Hercules feels OK in hand to me. A bit big....but perfectly useable. The Work Champ....that one scares me.   :sa:

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 05:36:01 PM
The Work Champ....that one scares me.   :sa:
Work Champ next to Work Champ XL!  :salute: :o
40304224673_2de541e31e.jpg
* 40304224673_2de541e31e.jpg (Filesize: 60.69 KB)
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 07:03:37 PM
Work Champ next to Work Champ XL!  :salute: :o

It's not the size, it's the Work part in the name...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 08:15:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I am getting to really like the 111mm range
They are so sturdy, tough and capable - They feel very, very different from the 91mms.
It's like the 91s are a pocket tool to deal with everyday emergencies - But the 111mms are for serious work!

I have a WorkChamp which I love - Although having said all that - I usually carry a 91mm   :pok:

There is a great video on YT about the Hercules vs. Leatherman - It is a really long video - But for once it is really worth watching - As this guy is a real outdoorsey user as opposed to some desk jockey/youtuber pontificating in artificial situations.

My request to Victorinix is bring out the 111mm Ranger - A five layer model with the 91mm Ranger tools - I cannot work out why they have not done that
For me this would be a much better model than the Hercules -
ie One thinner, lighter tool (file) replaces another not so useful tool (pliers) that you might not use so much - given its size in a large sized multi

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 05:24:50 AM
Ahh....but I like the pliers.  :wait:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 08:22:42 AM
Me too. Hands off our pliers, guys!  :rant:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 29, 2021, 04:58:30 AM
It’s good for being a bit thicker than it needs to be. It has as many liners as the Work Champ. As least comparing the liner lock versions. So for the small penalty in thickness and added cost…might as well get a Work Champ.

Or if you can ditch the pliers…the Outrider is just about 5mm thinner because of 2 fewer liners and the 3+ mm pliers.

No idea if the same is true for the newer liner lock versions, but suspect they have the similar issues with size efficiency.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline vick818

Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 05:11:41 PM
I love mine, and wish I bought it sooner. I carry it right next to my wallet and it carries upright. Something like the outrider feels better in the hand, but I can't justify losing the 1/2 screwdriver and the small pliers. People might be turned off by the weight, but I don't find it that heavy. It weighs less then the Curl, Signal, Wave etc and people EDC those. The leatherman bit drivers sliders over the #2 which is an added bonus.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:16 PM
I don't have a Hercules, but if they had a model without the saw, I'd have to have one.
Looking like the big brother to a deluxe tinker.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline MrPink

Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 04:16:28 AM
I tried to edc this for a couple of months but at work the dress slacks were too thin and it didn't feel good when sitting.  Still a great SAK and often goes with me on a day hike on the belt or on/in the pack.  Love it.  Pricey, but love it. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline Valkie

Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 07:55:33 AM
Amici,

Cheers,
Serge

That looks like something I can really use.

Do you have any idea where I can get one or two?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD