Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Shard.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Shard.
on: August 23, 2021, 01:47:03 PM
I bought 2 Shards recently and just finished putting them away. I thought I would examine them against the 2 Shards I already have, and noticed a difference. My oldest is a Multitool.org group buy back when I think the Shard first came out. My second buy was a silver one because it was different from my older black Shard. These two newly bought ones are from a fairly remote store found in Mindemoya which is on Manitoulin Island in Ontario. This large outdoor store stocks a ton of stuff. Best selection probably for 300 KM around. With that said, I do not think they ever put anything on sale as this is one of those out of place treasure shops that stock old new stock. I mean, you can still buy a BuckTool 360 Black there. I noticed they had a few Gerber Shards in box and I bought a pair.

Here we have the Gerber Artifact, my first Shard, the newly purchased black, and my second silver Shard.

20210823_072143A by Chako, on Flickr

20210823_072350A by Chako, on Flickr

The different spot is the nail puller. The older MT.O Shard is not as deep, and is similar to the Artifact, which was purchased about the same time...when both tools just came out I think. The silver has the deepest nail puller cut. The newly purchased black Shard is in between the older and the silver. I thought this was interesting. If you take a real close look, there are also a lot of other minor variations to be seen in the following photo, especially if you can zoom into it.

20210823_072424A by Chako, on Flickr
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gerber Shard.
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 03:43:58 PM
I was such a fan of the Shard.  I lost it and never replaced it so I got used to using my Pocket Wrench and then Leatherman by the numbers.  Its a great tool and neat subtle change. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 11:50:23 PM
👍

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 04:51:21 PM
I have an Artifact and used to carry it. The only thing I don't like about it is how the blade gets rusty after some time in the pocket. Still, I think I prefer it to the Shard.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 10:30:53 PM
Mine looks exactly lkke your new black one Chako. I've bought it in an outdoor outfitter shop here (in box). It also got a serial number on the back.
A simple but brilliant design in my eyes  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 01:28:42 AM
Both the black and silver one have serial numbers on the back...not that you can see those on the silver in my photograph.  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44