Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool to unlock interior doors?

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Tool to unlock interior doors?
on: February 25, 2024, 08:22:39 PM
I haven't been on this site for ages, so pardon me for that but I had a curious thought.
Does anyone know of a good tool for unlocking interior doors? Around our house we often put the "keys" above the door jam but they invariable get lost or someone uses it and doesn't put it back. So, when the little tike locks themselves in a room I scramble around the house looking for a key or the tiniest of screwdrivers that might fit.
I'm talking about the interior doors that often have a tiny key hole to insert the tool and thus are able to unlock the door.
I just thought this would be a handy tool to have on a SAK, and maybe there is one but I can't seem to recall. I notice the Rambler has a relatively small (2.5 mm) screwdriver but I don't know if it's small enough or long enough for that matter.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Tool to unlock interior doors?
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 08:23:52 PM
Toothpick??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 08:30:31 PM
Have you tried the tweezers?  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 09:12:54 PM
The best SAK tool for this is the pen from the 91 mm plus scales.

In my experience, the toothpick is not sufficiently rigid.

Also note that the inserts in most refillable ball point pens will work for this.  I’ve unlocked multiple doors this way with the ink cartridge from my Fisher Bullet.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 09:13:06 PM
An AWL?
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Online PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 10:02:02 PM
I just use my thumbnail to open mine when the granddaughter locks the door.  My wife uses a dime.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 10:41:58 PM
An AWL?
Too wide.

I just use my thumbnail to open mine when the granddaughter locks the door.  My wife uses a dime.
That’s a different style privacy lock, and significantly easier to deal with.

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 06:46:44 AM
Faddy, is for that exact reason that I carry this on my key organizer.  This one came from one of those types of locks that require a small flat head to unlock it.  I took the provided key/tool, flattened the back end (that was already a loop) and then attached it to my key organizer.

Did something similar for another friend of mine using a thin flat head.  We cut it off to the length that he wanted.  Flattened it a bit so we could drill a small hole into it.  Then he put a small key ring on it.  Similar to what's on a 58mm Vic.  The thickness of the flat head is about 1/16". 

The SAK small fine screwdriver back tool is too wide to fit into the opening.  You'd have to reduce the width so much that you'd lose the nail nick.

I also looked at the micro-screwdriver from the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest but you would have to reduce the width so much that you'd lose the majority of the nail nick.

I have thought about trying something with the fish scaler but I feel it would be difficult too difficult to maintain a nail nick or grab point on it for deployment.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 04:44:44 PM
I've done it with a paperclip in a pinch (I pounded the end of the paperclip flat) but it wasn't easy. Also, paperclips come in various sizes - I used one of the larger ones.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 05:41:31 PM
Faddy Daddy, are you talking about the locks that have an interior button that you push to unlock? I spent my childhood picking those locks to gain access to confections or other treats in the pantry. I  remember that my parents used a “key” that was just a piece of hardened steel wire with a loop at one end. I think I usually used a straightened paper clip or coat hanger.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 01:59:40 PM
My favorite lockpick is a 12# sledgehammer.  It never fails.  :D

For the type of door locks you're talking about, a serrated steak knife can be used.  Slip it between the door and jamb, catch the bolt with the serrated teeth, then slide the bolt toward the door side until it clears the latch plate.  Once you get the hang of  it, it should take you no more than three seconds.   ;)

Offline dmak

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 02:07:09 AM
For my doors, the little screw driver that fits in the corkscrew works great.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 02:42:51 PM
My favorite lockpick is a 12# sledgehammer.  It never fails.  :D

For the type of door locks you're talking about, a serrated steak knife can be used.  Slip it between the door and jamb, catch the bolt with the serrated teeth, then slide the bolt toward the door side until it clears the latch plate.  Once you get the hang of  it, it should take you no more than three seconds.   ;)
A credit card (or similar plastic card) can be used in a similar way.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD