Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire lighting with SAK magnifying glass.

gb Offline angus macguyver

Fire lighting with SAK magnifying glass.
on: August 27, 2021, 07:51:37 AM
Gents and Ladies.
Has anyone here lit a fire using the Champ glass, I have found that mine only 'likes' dark materials...my sandals foe example, cannot get it to burn newspaper or pure cotton buds, it struggles with cardboard. The focal point is tiny and a regular magnifying glass is almost instant on any material..including skin. Just wondering. ??? :climber: :dunno:
. "A paperclip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot."

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fire lighting with SAK magnifying glass.
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 08:02:26 AM
Hi Angus, seem to remember it wasn't that easy, but do-able in the right conditions, check this link for previous discussion

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85512.msg2161084.html#msg2161084

:cheers:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:11:06 PM
I’ve done it some years ago, and  remember it being quite difficult to get started. It did not happen on my first or second attempt.
The lens focuses light enough to smolder and burn dry tinder, but it is concentrated into such a small area that it takes some time to really make anything happen. Friction fire is much easier and more reliable by contrast.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 03:50:05 PM
 :iagree: I've managed to get it done with both of the Mag Lense styles, but I'd hate to have to count on it in a survival situation!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 03:52:04 PM
Quite difficult.  I was not patient when I tried.  I live in a very sunny area so I was hoping it wouldn't take long.  Like Barry, I would not want to rely on a mag glass to light a fire. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline angus macguyver

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 08:56:11 AM
Thanks everyone.
. "A paperclip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot."

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 01:03:37 AM
When I was a kid in school, they gave us magifying glasses to look at bugs or something.  We immediately set fire to our notebook paper.  Either I was far more patient as a kid, or the SAK magnifiers suck, because even in intense Florida sun I've never made fire with one.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 05:06:57 PM
I think I've managed to ignite char cloth with my Explorer's magnifying glass, but that's sort of cheating. It's not realistic for a "survival situation" unless you always carry char cloth with you, since making char cloth requires a fire in the first place!
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD