Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking back to the last mellenia - The electricians knife

Offline Scorpion Regent

The electricians knife, i't's limited and dated, but still a MT.  Does any body actually use one?
100_7298 mod.jpg
* 100_7298 mod.jpg (Filesize: 133.24 KB)

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking back to the last mellenia - The electricians knife
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 10:10:18 PM
I have been an electrician for 36+ years and have never used one. I have not even bought one yet, though it is on my want list.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 01:01:28 AM
I literally inherited one from my father in law.  Don't use it though.
IMG_1994.jpeg
* IMG_1994.jpeg (Filesize: 124.94 KB)
- Steve

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 01:39:59 AM
They seem like a very nice tool however I dont use mine.  I am not an electrician but I thought it would make a good yard tool.  Just don't carry it.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 02:12:31 AM
I have been an electrician for 36+ years and have never used one. I have not even bought one yet, though it is on my want list.
If you've lived without one for 36 years; I can't imagine you're missing out on much. 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 02:14:03 AM
Yes, regularly. They are a compact, but sturdy pattern. While the large slotted screwdriver is limited in today's use, it is handy for larger screws, light prying, and scraping. The thick edge on the wire stripping portion is great for scraping. My Granddad gave me a very well used Colonial as a kid; but so rusty, I didn't realize the screwdriver blade until about 3-4 years later (was rusted into handle) when I cleaned it enough for that to work.

While most of mine are Camillus, this is the one I've been carrying lately. A Holub 249 built by Schrade. It features stripping notches built into the screwdriver, and some kind of technique has been applied so that the wire stripping edge and SD tip are "grippy (note the line running down the stripping notch and SD tip--looks like some kind of etching process was used). It is among the less common electrician's knives. They made a three-blade for Craftsman using the same basic layout, but it adds a saw. It can go for over $100.

I am going to make a single-bladed one. I have a Boker, that, until after I bought (a pair of them for cheap, I might add) it, I didn't notice that the screwdrivers had been ground down, in a poor attempt to fit a Phillips screw. Didn't work, and the knives look to have hardly ever been used or carried, so I'm making one-blades out of them by ditching the screwdriver and

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 01:18:34 PM

While most of mine are Camillus, this is the one I've been carrying lately. A Holub 249 built by Schrade. It features stripping notches built into the screwdriver, and some kind of technique has been applied so that the wire stripping edge and SD tip are "grippy (note the line running down the stripping notch and SD tip--looks like some kind of etching process was used). It is among the less common electrician's knives.

(Image removed from quote.)

That is a well designed knife.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 04:17:15 PM
I'm in the same boat as everyone else.  I've had several over the years, but I couldn't honestly say if I still have one or not as I don't believe I have ever carried or used one.

They are splendid knives, which leads me to wonder why we all like them, but not enough to use one?   :think:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 06:58:01 PM
I have a few electrician's knives and this Sears Craftsman knife is the one I used to carry in a back pocket.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 09:17:53 PM

They are splendid knives, which leads me to wonder why we all like them, but not enough to use one?   :think:

Def
It was that sentiment that made me carry mine around for the better part of a month last year as my only pocket tool.  It got me through a lot.  I eventually switched over to something else, but I keep it as a option when I decide to change things up.

us Offline David

Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 03:03:22 AM
I have a few of them. Since I usually need pliers in a MT they dont get carried very often.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 07:18:11 AM
I have a few of them. Since I usually need pliers in a MT they dont get carried very often.    :D

Yeah, I get that.  More often than not, I have 'real tools' handy, it isn't my problem.  An MT with pliers is usually only around when I walk about on holiday.  My current EDK is a GAK, no pliers in sight.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%