Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Executive on vacation.

cbl51 · 14 · 1787

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Executive on vacation.
on: June 01, 2019, 05:00:15 AM
Okay, not really a vacation, but a three day and two night trip down to San Antonio for some sight seeing and relaxation. Usual SAK was in my pocket, the executive. Knife use in San Antonio? Not much.

The first evening we were drifting along the river walk, just checking out the scene, when we came across a store selling jerky. All kinds of jerky. Beef jerky. Buffalo jerky. Turkey jerky. Salmon jerky. So a few different bags were bought and passed around. Passed after opening of course. The "Pull here" tab ripped off without opening the package so the scissors of the executive snipped along the dotted line very carefully so it could be resealed later. Our fries wife, Shirley, only wanted a very small pice of try, her being a wannabe veggitatian, so the blade of the active was used to cut a piece of a slice to have her chew away.

The next day, the rubber tip on my walng stick was splitting, so a medical supply store in downtown San Antonio, not far from the Hotel Havana we were staying to had cane tips in a package of 4 for 6 dollars. It was a resealable blinding plastic package but a staple had to be removed so the cleat plastic lid could be slid out to release on eo fate rubber cane tips. The nail file of the executive was used as a staple remover and to did quite well. Bent up the tips under and then pulled out the staple.

On the second night, we tenfold, Felix and I, sat not he outside veranda of our second floor rooms and smoked a couple of nice cigars that went well with a small glass of Bourbon for sipping on while we smoked.

On the morning of the third day, My better half, Karen, picked up a small splinter from a wooden bench, and the tweezers of the executive plucked it out with no trouble at all. Minor incident. Also on the third day, the lable of the fresh Tommy Bahama shirt I was wearing had the label sewn in such a way, it was a bit prickly on the back of my neck. The executive scissors made short work of the stitches holding the label and the lable went in the trash and I went on in greater comfort in the Texas heat.

All in all, a very excellent three day trip to a historic city, and those little odd things that pop up were taken care of with a small SAK. Funny how a little two ounce chunk of tool can smooth out things in a jiffy. No great Bowie knife blade was needed, but a few little tool did wonders.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Executive on vacation.
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:22:11 AM
Great job sir!! :tu:
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:55:13 AM
If there is a 30 days challenge to Vic executive, you'd pass it with flying colors.  :tu:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 02:08:47 PM
Want to add;

In the three days and two nights we partied and toured and drank in San Antonio, there wasn't one single hostile Indian in sight, not a single buffalo had to be skinned, and no trees had too be felled. The small non locking blades of the little SAK were perfectly capable of the cutting of jerky, trimming the end off a cigar, and the tools did what they were designed to do with no problems. Somehow we survived with that little slip joint pocketknife with ease. We even Made the 102 mile drive back home without incident. No getting marooned in the desert/brush country and needing a machete or Bowie knife.

It just may be that Chuck Yeager was on to something.

How much knife/tool do we rally need in our daily life? Kind of like comparing the perceived need vs the reality. Or fantasy.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 02:42:54 PM
San Antonio is a fun city to visit...but it can get darned hot and humid in the summer months.

Great write-up, Carl!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 03:07:56 PM
San Antonio is a fun city to visit...but it can get darned hot and humid in the summer months.

Great write-up, Carl!

It was hot!

Uniform of the day was light weight vented Magellan fishing shirt, shorts, Keen sandals, and straw hat for sun shade. Just a hundred miles south made that much a difference from Georgetown hill country. Much more noticeable humidity in San Antonio.

Nights were beautiful though. Lots to see and do, and we're going to make it a once a month two day over night trip to see more. Lots of history there from the Spanish missions of the 1700's to the cowboy era to the later 1900's era. We stayed at the Hotel Havana that has been there since 1914. Lots of old time character there instead of some sterile new Holiday Inn or whatever. Creaky wood floors, lots of old mahogany trim and furnishings. You could imagine Hemingway staying there. I almost felt I should have been dressed in a rumpled white linen suit and Panama hat.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:17:31 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:17:12 PM
I love old hotels like that.

Hem would have stayed if they had a good bar and served good Margaritas.....  :rofl:

Offline soniamann

• New User
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 10:04:33 PM
You have had an exciting journey. You can give a lot for this.
I was also on vacation recently, and I was vacationing in the Deer Valley Ski Resort, Utah. It was very cool, we went to a big company. There were about 15 of us. All my friends and their wives and children. The adults had their own entertainment. The children had their own. I am glad that everyone can find a vacation based on their age and their interests.
I was a little distracted by the fact that at home I left my restaurant to my assistant. So, the main problem of all managers is that they can't entrust their business to anyone, lol. Fortunately, the rest was very cool, and I still managed to distract myself.

LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:52:05 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 12:47:01 AM
Enjoyed reading your journey with the Executive.
I feel that most of the tasks I would do with a knife could be done with 2 knives.

1) Executive
2) BK62 Kephart
Bk62.jpg
* Bk62.jpg (Filesize: 104.76 KB)
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 05:57:32 AM
If there is a 30 days challenge to Vic executive, you'd pass it with flying colors.  :tu:
In December, there is the Chuck Yeager (memorial) Challenge for 74mm SAKs.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 04:12:32 PM
I feel that most of the tasks I would do with a knife could be done with 2 knives.

1) Executive
2) BK62 Kephart

Folder, you don't know how close you are to my real EDC. In the couple years I was really getting 'into' the executive, my woods/picnic/fishing/and whatever knife was my old Buck 102 woodsman. The woodsman and I have a history that goes back to the late 1960's, and from 1967 to 1999, it was my go-to sheath knife. By 1999, it was worn down to a sharpened toothpick, so my better half bought me a new one for my birthday. It is still going strong. The executive may be my city knife, but if I'm going off pavement, or even fishing down by the river, the Buck woodsman is on my hip.

Even through my mid life knife nut craze when I was spending all kinds os money on senseless knives, they all came and went, even the over priced and over hyped Randall's. The Buck stayed. It even outcut a Randall small hunter in a cutting test. If by some unknown catastrophe, all knives ceased to exist except for Buck and Victorinox, I'd be fine.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 05:12:07 PM
You should check out the Buck 117, Carl.   >:D

Similar blade to the 102, but a bigger handle. Just about as perfect as a Buck can be. ....although....I do the like 105, too.   :facepalm:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 11:58:33 PM

1) Executive
2) BK62 Kephart

:iagree:

Nice pic FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

00 Offline majirameb

• New User
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 10:18:17 AM
Hello. I also like such small trips for a couple of days or on weekends.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%