Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hi from Germany

de Offline Matus

Hi from Germany
on: September 03, 2021, 09:49:18 AM
Hello,

I am Matus and while I do not come from Germany, I habe been living and working here for a long time. I am very new to multitools (I actually do not have any at the moment), but we will soon be moving to a house and there will be a lot of little things to be done, so I figured that this would be a good time to consider getting a multitool of some sort and that is exactly the reason I have joined this great forum.

I am not new to tools as such as I am a hobby knife maker (kitchen knives - matus6x6 on IG should anyone be curios) and avid knife user (kitchen knives and pocket knives), but I am not a professional machinist, nor do I have any proper education when it comes to tools. In fact, I have a PC / phone related job and doing stuff with my hands is a form of metal relax and compensation.

I have spend a few days watching videos, trying to get a basic grasp of multitools to understand what they are and what they are not. And I have come to the typical conflict of interest - something like Leatherman Surge is what would make the most sense to get, but the MUT is what I want because it is so cool (I appreciate stuff that was though-out so well) and it has a hammer. That inevitably leads to second step - trying to figure out what modifications would be possible, etc. I don't want to jump the gun on  the mods as they will surely take a lot of time, trials & errors and of course invest.

It looks like the folks around here are a really nice crowd, so I am hoping to fit it. I am looking forward spend more time browsing around and learning from the knowledge shared, but sooner than later I will come with some questions.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Hi from Germany
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 11:51:48 AM
Hi, Matus! Welcome to :MTO:

Don't worry, you'll fit in just fine.

:cheers: :tu:

As for not owning any multitool...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 04:21:11 PM
Welcome aboard , the Surge or a Supertool 300 would be my recommendation.   :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:55:50 PM
Welcome Matus

MUT is good choice but it has limited toolset compared to Surge. You could allways look Gerber MP variants also SwissTool. For modding LM has maybe most parts available.

Lähetetty minun SM-T555 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 04:02:09 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Matus :cheers:

de Offline Matus

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 11:13:20 AM
Thank you for your warm welcome :)

I can only agree - MUT is limited in tool, but the Surge makes the impression that some tools overlap. What I really want in the tool is the T-shank as that allows one to fit a large range of blade. I would most likely also adapt a standard 300mm (12" I believe) hacksaw blade, as I have already used one in the past (I just taped one end so that I would hold it with my hands) and used draw cuts to cut those thin (about 2mm) mdf sheets I used to make a toy for our kids and draw cuts with a hacksaw blades allowed me to go through large pieces very fast. I am pretty sure I will be using that material again and it would be much easier to have blade converted to be compatible with the t-shank (I can do that easily).

So if it would be possible to fit the t-shank on the MUT instead of the saw (as that is a locking slot and I would like to keep the knife blade), than that would get it very close to what I would like to have and it would still leave me with 2 non-locking position to 'temper with'. Now that is all theory for now as it appears that it is next to impossible to get the leatherman T-Shank adapter without paying some $65+.

I may as well start with the Surge and get the MUT later if I feel like tinkering with it, though I would really love to get that hammer and fixed position bit adapter.

Just to mention - I care little WHAT kind of blade these multitools have, as I always have a dedicated pocket knife with me (around the house it would be PM2 in k390 or maybe the CS American Lawman or similar).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 04:38:05 PM
Welcome to MTO.    :waving:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 04:55:07 PM
Howdy and welcome!   :waving: