Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Swisschamp - Weak Backsprings?

Offline CalNZ

• New User
on: September 04, 2021, 04:46:10 AM
Hey guys, new member and first time poster.

Looking for some thoughts/advice/experience with backsprings on a new SAK.

I’ve just got a new Swisschamp and I’ve found that a select few tools are notably easier to open and don’t have the same ‘snap’ as the same tools on different SAKs.

The saw in particular is much easier to open on the Swisschamp than the saw on my huntsman, and the fish descaler and file are the same too.

They snap into place fine, just don’t feel as secure when locked as what I’m used to.

I was curious if it was to do with a different and/or weaker backspring? E.g. The saw has a backside tool on the Swisschamp, but doesn’t on the Huntsman.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 05:32:57 AM
I have 3 Swiss Champs, a couple of Champ Plus, and bunches of other models including duplicates ranging in age from the 1990s through the present day.  In my experience it’s not uncommon for some layers on an individual tool to open and close with more or less snap than others.  This is also true between individual knives.  Some have stronger back springs than others.  There seems to be no correlation between date of manufacture.  Generally they are all pretty good.  Some are so strong I’m afraid they will damage implements slamming closed if I don’t assist them in closing and others seem  weak by comparison.  I think it’s just the nature of these tools to show some variation.  I also think that you will notice more variation the more layers your knife has.  I notice that cleaning and oiling the layers helps if you notice a layer not closing as snappy as it once did.  Others may have different experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:38:18 AM by dmattaponi »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: New Swisschamp - Weak Backsprings?
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 06:22:15 AM
I just replied OP on BF, but I would just copy my reply here too:

It's funny I never did bother to notice that after using the SwissChamp for more than 3 decades, but after comparing it to my Mountaineer and Huntsman, you are right about the tighter springs from the Non-SC models. Good observation! :cheers:

But in reality, I have used the metal file and wood saw on SC countless times, and I do find their spring strength adequate.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 09:42:57 AM
 :climber:

And I’m off to open and listen to my adventurer vs forester vs outrider vs hercules  (still don’t own a workchamp). Maybe it’s related to ‘thicker knife’, harder snap back. Like I find it harder to open a waiter than a tinker. Waiter snaps back louder too…..

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 10:07:24 AM
Depending on where you got it this might be a fault of the shop. There is a small shop in our town that among a lot of smurfs has a Leatherman and a Victorinox stand. They are displayed with some tools opened, others - half opened. The second, if done for long periods of time, can weaken the spring. And they do sell only the displayed items  :facepalm: I tried to explain the problem to them, they didn't care.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 12:41:17 PM
Depending on where you got it this might be a fault of the shop. There is a small shop in our town that among a lot of smurfs has a Leatherman and a Victorinox stand. They are displayed with some tools opened, others - half opened. The second, if done for long periods of time, can weaken the spring. And they do sell only the displayed items  :facepalm: I tried to explain the problem to them, they didn't care.
Opening tools half way(45deg, not even at half stop) for years at end, surely is a spring killer.  I managed to save a few vintage Wengers from a store long, long time ago.

Offline CalNZ

• New User
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 01:01:23 PM
Appreciate the replies so far! Good community here!

I’m fairly confident it’s not a case of it having been a display model, but can definitely see the damage potential.

On closer inspection, the backspring for the saw on the Swisschamp is definitely shorter (vertically) to accommodate the backside tool, so it makes sense the lock up wouldn’t be as solid as a huntsman, or better still an alox farmer. More material, stronger spring right?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 03:31:42 PM
The awl on my SwissChamp closes softly, no real snap.

Maybe the saw is a little soft opening/closing, too. I'm not sure about that. Hasn't been an issue, so far.   :tu:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 06:23:16 PM
I also recently got my first SwissChamp, and I noticed the same soft snap in the same tools that OP mentioned, as well as the mag glass/Phillips layer. I have a few thoughts on this.

I think the fact that some of these tools have backside tools (and therefore springs with a shorter cross section) is a contributing factor to the soft snap, but it doesn't explain the soft snap on the fish scaler or mag/Phillips layers which have no backside tools. The mag/Phillips layer, in particular has a massive chunky spring, the second largest on the SwissChamp after the pliers spring, and yet the magnifying glass has a weak closing snap. I actually prefer this on such a comparatively fragile implement as the new style of magnifying glass.

I have a Handyman that I modified by replacing the pliers with the mag layer from an older Explorer with the longer Phillips driver and the grey mag glass, and both of those tools have a much stronger snap, but their pivots are also shaped differently and the spring is larger.

I'll admit that I would like to see more opening snap on the saw, file, and fish scaler, but they seem secure enough once they reach their detents. To me, the tools where strong opening snap is an absolute top priority are the knife blades. I'm not as worried about the file, fish scaler, or even the saw closing on my fingers as I am the blades.

I think, also, that soft opening and closing snap on full length tools might be a bit of an illusion compared to the shorter tools because the long tools give you more leverage for both opening and closing than the shorter tools. If you try to close the fish scaler from its base, it's much harder to close than from the end.

Just my thoughts. :dunno:
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD