Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Requesting help with dating a vintage SAK - Champion "a"

SteveP · 33 · 1525

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Re: Requesting help with dating a vintage SAK - Champion "a"
Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 04:47:31 AM
I’d use the same punch that got the old remnant out. Just make sure it’s ‘seated’/centered on the hole and it should only need gentle tapping to go in and center it width wise.

I don’t have the Vic tools either.
Thanks, kamakiri.

As I "punched" the old piece out using the tip of an awl on the edge of the old spring base - I didn't have a real punch small enough - I'll need to work on plan "b".   :(
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 22, 2021, 05:20:21 AM
Plan "b" was a resounding success!   :woohoo:

I used a very small pair of pliers to compress slightly the curve at the base of the spring so it would slide easily into the hole in the scissors.

Then I inserted a small nail into the spring curve and hammered it slightly from both sides to expand it again.

I'm thrilled to have a fully-functional Champion "a"! I can't wait for the Challenge of Champions next March!   :woohoo:

2021-09-21 22.13.46.jpg
* 2021-09-21 22.13.46.jpg (Filesize: 511.07 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 23, 2021, 05:24:39 AM
 :tu:

Nothing wrong with using what’s available! I may have used brass nails or whatever is laying around at times.  :whistle:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%