Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MUT or Signal to mod?

de Offline Matus

MUT or Signal to mod?
on: September 06, 2021, 01:58:41 PM
OK, I am very new to multi-tools. I would really like to get the MUT or maybe Signal - but would like to do some mods (in particular adding a T-shank adapter from the Surge) and I am wondering which of the two would be more suitable / easier to modify. I am aiming for 'general multitool use' rather than Outdoor/Survival/Military. I am not too concerned about size/weight as I don't plan to carry it around as EDC, but rather put it on my belt when there is some work to be done around the house or keep it in a car.

(yes I may start with a Surge, but would really get the hammer feature MUT and Signal have and would also like to 'play' with them a bit)

Thank you :)

Offline gadgetman7

Re: MUT or Signal to mod?
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 04:11:53 PM
I suspect the blade exchanger would fit better on the MUT due to size. I think [mention]Maxlvledc [/mention] tried it on a Signal and it didn’t work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 04:16:38 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67593.msg1314137.html#msg1314137

From what I recall there would be a lot of modding to get the T Shank from the Surge to fit the Signal. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Matus

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 04:33:29 PM
Thanks! I have somehow missed this particular Signal mod thread. This makes the MUT more attractive than the Signal to me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 05:03:58 PM
A lot goes on here especially with our resident modders.  I had both at the time and like many thought it would be a great match ( T shank on Signal ) but after dry fitting them I knew it was more than I was capable of. 

Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Matus

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 05:46:20 PM
I must say that I would even consider having the T-Shank fixed in position (i.e. not rotating). It would not be a perfect, but still a very usable solution, as I would anyhow carry the 2-3 relevant blades separately because of their length. But I am not sure whether that would simplify the installation or not.

de Offline Matus

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 03:08:56 PM
So I have MUT and Skeletool RX incoming. I have found out that there are some really cool hacks that should allow using T-shank tools without actually implementing the holder/adapter and I definitely need to test this. My inspiration was this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEuFhbxVwKU

I expect to keep the Skeletool as it is considerably smaller and has basically all that I need (plus one can add a light-use 3D printed metal hammer), but I just want to experience what the MUT is really about.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $26.00
PayPal Fees: $1.57
Net Balance: $24.43
Below Goal: $275.57
Site Currency: USD
 8%