Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

20 Years Ago Today.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
20 Years Ago Today.
on: September 11, 2021, 03:28:06 PM
Hard to believe it was 20 years ago regarding the events that happened in New York, DC and Western PA. Seemed like it was only yesterday. Let's not forget those who parished and also thank you to those that made the ultimate sacrifice. We are forever indebted to you. Even tho this was a dark day, it does remind us of the goodness that can come out in people sometimes. That is all.  :salute:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: 20 Years Ago Today.
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 03:36:40 PM
Never forget  !    :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 04:03:48 PM
Yeah it’s so hard to believe it’s been 20yrs, I carry my patch with me everywhere I go, and you can tell it’s mine cause well, you can see my name and JR to the right, and on the front I wear my stripes but support are police and fire! I should be getting 5 more of those front patches today,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 04:45:50 PM
 :salute:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 04:52:23 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday :salute: Something that is burned into my mind for the rest of my life, I always wondered how people always remembered what they were doing or where they were at when the news of the JFK assassination happened but after that I completely understood how :salute: A very sad day in US history and a very odd feeling day as well :-[ It was a scary time here in the US and I can't believe it was 20 years ago :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 04:56:35 PM
I agree Poncho, it is one of those events that most if not all can recall exactly what they were doing on that day. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:33:10 PM
The most patriotic tools I have :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:22:25 PM
Hard to believe it has been 20 years alright.
Thinking of you guys today.  :salute:  (Even though it's the 12th here.)

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 01:06:37 AM
It was a scary time here in the US.
Yes, it was. I was just over a year into my enlistment at the time. Not long after the first attack, NSWC Dahlgren (Virginia, about an hour and 15 minutes from Washington, DC) was locked down. Every civilian was sent home, and aside from the galley, the entire base shut down. I spent the next two days working in the galley.

The attacks had a lasting impact on me: I was due to fly home after work that day. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I was almost terrified to fly for the next year, and have only flown three times since. It's unlikely I'll fly commercial again (because of both post-9/11 changes and some of the stuff I learned and heard in aviation maintenance technician school).

The world's current situation doesn't have me scared nearly as much as I was for the last quarter of 2001.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 01:13:12 AM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 02:17:10 AM
 :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 04:44:05 AM
It's unlikely I'll fly commercial again (because of ... some of the stuff I learned and heard in aviation maintenance technician school).
What sort of things, if you don't mind telling me?
Strangely I felt much better about flying from watching Aircraft Investigation (also called Mayday in some places); understanding how and why things go wrong put me at ease. (I have a Commercial Pilot License but not currently flying.)

EDIT: Actually, maybe don't tell me in this thread.  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 04:53:27 AM by Syncop8r »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 10:00:54 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday.  I had just crushed my left ankle in an accident the week before and I was due for reconstruction surgery on the 12th.  Obviously that was cancelled.

I watched the aftermath of the first plane as the newscasters struggled to determine if it was terrorism or an accident.

Then I watched the second plane, 100% live and there was no longer any doubt.

Grounding all the planes quickly overwhelmed airports everywhere, and many US citizens found themselves landing at Canadian airports with nothing but the clothing on their backs- they were landing everywhere they could, and many came here to Halifax, where people opened their houses to complete strangers who had nowhere else to go.  We fed and clothed them, gave them places to sleep and ways to contact their families to let them know they were okay.

No one knew how long they'd be here, but that was probably furthest from anyone's minds. 

This was a direct attack on the US, but it was felt, and managed by the world.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%