Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Airport security - I did it again...

Vidar · 39 · 1782

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Airport security - I did it again...
on: September 13, 2021, 04:07:00 PM
Going through airport security I somehow had forgot a Wenger Evogrip 18 in the hand luggage. When that has happened earlier the offending item has been confiscated along with futile attempts at making me feel ashamed or suspected of planning horrendous acts.

Anyway, my bag often gets taken aside because of all the stuff inside so I don't get alarmed by that. This time however this guys hands come out of a pocket with my Wenger Evogrip 18. Which somehow slipped by when I cleared out the bag earlier. So I thought a few less then noble words that felt appropriate for the situation, and prepared to say goodbye to it.

Instead this guy is actually quite understanding and simply asks if I want them to put it in an envelope and send it to me? I would have to write the address and pay the (very reasonable) postage though? I happily did that of course, but for me the most positive and surprising thing was the attitude itself and the fact that the option now exists. The world does progress sometimes! :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Airport security - I did it again...
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 04:14:33 PM
That is great to hear :salute: Glad they have that option where you live because I am sure lots of people forget they are carrying something like this :tu:

Thanks for sharing a good airport security story, Vidar :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:16:11 PM
 :woohoo:  Well that was a reasonable response.  Glad you didn't loose it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 04:17:09 PM
My daughter flew to and from with her Classic on her keys with no detection of it.   :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 04:36:42 PM
My daughter flew to and from with her Classic on her keys with no detection of it.   :dunno:
Likewise. Mrs Surge has her Classic on her keys and has flown to/from the UK to France & Italy without issue  :tu:

I awlso have a Swiss+Tech Utili-Key on mine and again, never a problem  :D
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 06:57:32 PM
The world does progress slowly return to its senses sometimes!
FTFY. In all seriousness, I'm glad you didn't lose your knife. Was it in your checked baggage or your carry-on? Here in the States, as long as it's in your checked baggage, you're usually okay.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:32:29 PM
Glad to hear at least one person in airport security isn't a moron :tu:
My Zippo got confiscated one time, but you can take a Bic lighter with you :facepalm:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 09:59:48 PM
FTFY. In all seriousness, I'm glad you didn't lose your knife. Was it in your checked baggage or your carry-on? Here in the States, as long as it's in your checked baggage, you're usually okay.

It was the carry-on. It has been going on so long that I think this is the normal now.

It is confusing with different airport security rules around the world - and that the local rules or interpretation seems to change now and then.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 12:12:03 AM
My Zippo got confiscated one time, but you can take a Bic lighter with you.
I was once told that a Zippo with its factory safety label intact isn't allowed on a commercial aircraft. Many such laws and regulations make no sense to me.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 12:25:04 AM
Whew, that was a close one. :twak:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 12:54:25 AM
Whew, that was a close one. :twak:

No kidding.  I thought the story was going to have a very unhappy ending.  My wife got busted with a Classic in her purse, and the TSA agent waved it around while asking loudly, "WHAT IS THIS?!" as though it was a hand grenade.  ::)   To be fair, the agent did say we could go back out of the security check area and mail it, but we had no desire to go back to the end of the very long line and start over.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 02:16:41 AM
In OZtrailya they make out that you are a terrorist and kick up a major stink about a pair of nail clippers.

Id hate to imagine what would happen if they actually found a knife.
They love to act all tough when its simply some poor sod who forgot.

We did have a murder committed in a Sydney airport a few years ago.
But every security person was running the other way in fear, rather than actually doing anything.

I guess its all about perspective.

tools is what defines us as humans

Offline Stabby

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 05:44:13 AM
In the US they can't confiscate anything that isn't illegal in and of itself- and if that's the case they will bring the cops over to do it.

If TSA finds a prohibited item you can choose to "voluntarily surrender" it or exit security and dispose of it however you see fit.  Surrendered items belong to whatever port authority owns the airport.  My airport is owned by the state and surrendered items are auctioned by our General Services Administration.

If you have the time, exit security and either gift it to someone leaving the airport or pitch it in the trash.  There's no reason for the government to profit from security theater.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 06:42:30 AM
That agent was very nice for offering that option. 

The nicest I ever got was an agent who offered to give the item back to me to “figure something our”.  The book store offered to mail it.  Since then I started carrying a prepaid flat rate padded mailer in my carry on bag ic case I forget something and can convince the agent not to confiscate.

se Offline RF52

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 07:20:14 AM
I was once told that a Zippo with its factory safety label intact isn't allowed on a commercial aircraft. Many such laws and regulations make no sense to me.
When it's not even filled? :facepalm:
So many rules, so little reason.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 10:23:15 AM
awesome response and outcome! :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 12:52:54 PM
In OZtrailya they make out that you are a terrorist and kick up a major stink about a pair of nail clippers.

Id hate to imagine what would happen if they actually found a knife.
They love to act all tough when its simply some poor sod who forgot.

We did have a murder committed in a Sydney airport a few years ago.
But every security person was running the other way in fear, rather than actually doing anything.

I guess its all about perspective.

They weren't running from a murderer, they were running towards a terrorist plot they foiled when one of our members attempted to wear his Tread on a plane.

:ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:05 PM
I imagine airport security personal have fairly thankless and repetitive jobs so I understand they can get less than service minded. And finding a knife might be the highlight action of the day wihch might cause some over-the-top reaction? I will say though that most do act very professional. Still, finding a service minded agent who considers you just another forgetful human being was still a nice surprise.

On the flip side I've had my share of stuff confiscated over the years, and even got my phone stolen by an agent once. ("Let me check your bag over here for a second" (for things to remove..) I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as I once earlier came across one of the few convicted thieves I know of working as a security agent. He was even still wearing an ankle lock, which I think should have been a red flag.. :think: Some airports/ agencies might want to reconsider their recruitment criteria.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline Valkie

Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 12:18:06 AM
They weren't running from a murderer, they were running towards a terrorist plot they foiled when one of our members attempted to wear his Tread on a plane.

:ahhh

Def

The funny thing about Australian airport security.

Is that many of them are criminals and have been caught smuggling and engaging in other nefarious activities.

Many don't speak English and are employed on a cheapest basis, usually through some obscure and semi-legal recruitment firm.

The other concern is that many come from countries that are well known for terrorist activities with background checks being, at best, flexible.

My wife was stopped by there morons when she set off the metal detector.
She has artificial knees and has documentation to support this fact.
But Mr Australian security knew better, sending her off for further checking, when I objected I was threatened by this little Hitler who said he would have me arrested.
He grabbed my arm resulting in his arm being locked and me whispering in his ear, "one step from heaven buddy".

All was resolved when a sensible security person observed the incident and quietly spoke to us.
A simple wave of a metal stick around my wife's knees resolved the matter.

Australian airport security is lax, stupidly enforced and run by morons.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 01:15:57 AM
There's no reason for the government to profit from security theater.
I agree. Yet on the same token, I'd like to see what's on offer when those seizures are auctioned. Lots of chaff to separate out of little wheat, I'd imagine.

When it's not even filled?
Yes. That's what I was told, anyway. Never mind that five steps are required to get a new Zippo to so much as produce a spark. I'm sure that in the States, more than a few of them are shipped at least in part via aircraft anyway.
USN 2000-2006

se Offline RF52

Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 08:19:27 AM
I agree. Yet on the same token, I'd like to see what's on offer when those seizures are auctioned. Lots of chaff to separate out of little wheat, I'd imagine.
Yes. That's what I was told, anyway. Never mind that five steps are required to get a new Zippo to so much as produce a spark. I'm sure that in the States, more than a few of them are shipped at least in part via aircraft anyway.
:facepalm:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:12 PM
Glad you got a good agent and could save it!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 04:25:35 PM
Two days ago I found a Swisscard Lite a person had forgotten about, they told the officer behind me they were going to leave it with us. I overheard them and I told them no, popped out the letter opener and handed them the rest of the Swisscard. The gentleman was surprised but wasn’t going to complain, and I did my part of abiding by the rules set forth by the FAA that we are bound to uphold.

I give people all the options I have available in my disposal, and have been downright pissed off when someone hasn’t wanted to take their knives or tools out to their car or mail it back to themselves. -_-

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 06:13:19 PM
The funny thing about Australian airport security.

Is that many of them are criminals and have been caught smuggling and engaging in other nefarious activities.

Many don't speak English and are employed on a cheapest basis, usually through some obscure and semi-legal recruitment firm.

The other concern is that many come from countries that are well known for terrorist activities with background checks being, at best, flexible.

My wife was stopped by there morons when she set off the metal detector.
She has artificial knees and has documentation to support this fact.
But Mr Australian security knew better, sending her off for further checking, when I objected I was threatened by this little Hitler who said he would have me arrested.
He grabbed my arm resulting in his arm being locked and me whispering in his ear, "one step from heaven buddy".

All was resolved when a sensible security person observed the incident and quietly spoke to us.
A simple wave of a metal stick around my wife's knees resolved the matter.

Australian airport security is lax, stupidly enforced and run by morons.

Well, first off, most airline security personnel fit that profile, at least in most places I have been.

Secondly, you are very lucky that you were not penalized for arguing, let alone the altercation.  On this side of the pond people are labeled as belligerent and placed on No Fly lists for simply disagreeing with airline security.

I would imagine that, at least in Canada and likely the US, you would have spent at least a few hours in jail while they determined whether or not to press charges against you.  Whether they did or not, at the very least you would have missed your flight and not be allowed to board another, possibly ever.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 10:24:54 PM
Well, first off, most airline security personnel fit that profile, at least in most places I have been.

Secondly, you are very lucky that you were not penalized for arguing, let alone the altercation.  On this side of the pond people are labeled as belligerent and placed on No Fly lists for simply disagreeing with airline security.

I would imagine that, at least in Canada and likely the US, you would have spent at least a few hours in jail while they determined whether or not to press charges against you.  Whether they did or not, at the very least you would have missed your flight and not be allowed to board another, possibly ever.

Def

That's more or less the case in Australia too...at least at the major airports. The airport security don't have much of a sense of humour, and there's usually a few Federal Police and Border Force cronies lurking around as well.

Perhaps at some of the regional airstrips where the King Airs fly and the "Terminal" consists of a eight-by-eight shed with a bench seat in it you might get away with that sort of thing....

au Offline Valkie

Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 11:10:06 AM
That's more or less the case in Australia too...at least at the major airports. The airport security don't have much of a sense of humour, and there's usually a few Federal Police and Border Force cronies lurking around as well.

Perhaps at some of the regional airstrips where the King Airs fly and the "Terminal" consists of a eight-by-eight shed with a bench seat in it you might get away with that sort of thing....

I have found the opposite.

At just about every airport I have been to, and thats quite a few, I have found the security easy to get along with.

In the USA (Texas) I found the guy there seriously easy going.

In Canada, as I was walking through the to the American side with my backpack, I was unceremoniously reefed backward by my backpack.
I wondered what I did and turned to see a huge lady smiling.

My backpack has patches of every country I have visited sewed onto it.
It was for this reason she pulled me back.
"I dont see my country on your bag" she said.
"What country is that" I asked.

"Why Jamaica of course, you cant tell by my accent?"

We had a chuckle and I went on my way. 

Perhaps Australian security is only rude and obnoxious to Australians?
And perhaps other countries are only rude and obnoxious to people from their own country?

But even in China, when my bag appeared to have something it shouldn't have had (batteries) It was a tool that I used in my work.
They were very polite and apologetic.
I said I was sorry for the trouble and thanked them for doing their job, we all went our way smiling and happy.

Only in Australia (especially Brisbane airport) are the security so obnoxious and brain dead.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 11:51:01 PM
Only in Australia (especially Brisbane airport) are the security so obnoxious and brain dead.

I can't say that have been my impression. Then again, I'm not Australian. :)

To be fair most airport security people are quite predictable, professionally polite and serious about their job tasks. It might not be the best environment to be easy going or joking around even if they wanted to? With so many people there are also bound to be many personalities - some likely easier to notice for whatever reason than others.

Most of my encounters have been the usual routine, but it has been more personal on a few occasions. In Finland they have a security check between arriving planes and the transfer area. At one time I suddenly found them clearing a perimeter around me for other passengers and security people - I had bought one of the first USB battery backups, and on the X-ray later I'd have to agree it looked very suspicious if you hadn't seen one before: Lots of tightly packed cylinders connected via some wires to some electronics, and an on/off switch.

Another time my passport had gotten damaged during the flight and was void on arrival. Smurf happens I thought, and indeed it did. Two very serious security people ushered me off to one of those border control interrogation cells they have in the TV shows. Clearly there was a need to dig deep for any devious plans of committing wrongdoing by means of damaged passport. While the reaction seemed over the top they were polite and professional.

And lastly I used to not bother with hotels if I arrived late at an airport and would be travelling further on in the morning. Most airports close down the checked in and transfer areas at night though, so I've been kicked out by security at quite a few airports. Some of those have been less than service minded or even communicative. (You do get the message when someone points and waves a stick at you  - they do say lots of communication in non-verbal anyway. I tend to agree).

The most grumpy people I've come across have typically been taxi drivers - that is, if you're just going to a nearby location. Some flat out refuse or come up with excuses to take such drives at all.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:59:31 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 10:36:57 AM
I used to fly a lot internationally for my job, and the airport security cultures are just so very different in various parts of the world. 

I have seen some of the strictest airport security(even a paperclip will set off the alarm and induce a through metal detector wand search) but the folks are really professional and not argumentative.  While other airports maybe less restrictive, it is not uncommon to meet some that's on a power trip and make you feel like you are travelling thru the wild west.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 12:37:49 PM
I'll admit, I have encountered more good than bad when it comes to airline security, but one bad one can royally screw you up.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 20, 2021, 03:56:31 PM
^^^ This.  The one bad experience is souring.  Its usually one that almost deletes all the good experiences.  I haven't flown in years and for the foreseeable future will keep it that way.  While I wouldn't mind venturing outside the US there is much to see here so an RV is my preferred mode of transport. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD