Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer X to 93mm Voyageur?

gb Offline andywork

Pioneer X to 93mm Voyageur?
on: January 09, 2022, 04:51:54 PM
Hi Modders,

I was just thinking, which is always a bad idea  :D, is making a 93mm Voyageur now a lot easier with the release of the Pioneer X?

I mean, once the opener layer is removed, is it simply just a case of replacing the awl with a Combo tool from a Compact?
Or are there any other things I need to be mindful of, i.e. pivot hole size, tool width, etc.?

Thanks in advance.  :cheers:

P.S. I did try searching for a solution. Though I kept getting results involving Solo back-springs. I guess this type of solution was needed back in the day, to add scissors to a standard Pioneer, before the Pioneer X came along?  :dunno:

Offline ComboTool

Re: Pioneer X to 93mm Voyageur?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 05:28:52 PM
You have to enlarge the pivot hole of the combo tool to 3mm, but other than that it's a drop-in replacement. If you're obsessive about this you may wish to add a washer to compensate for the fact that the combo tool is thinner than the awl but it's only a .2mm difference so you could get away without it.

gb Offline andywork

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 06:43:38 PM
You have to enlarge the pivot hole of the combo tool to 3mm, but other than that it's a drop-in replacement. If you're obsessive about this you may wish to add a washer to compensate for the fact that the combo tool is thinner than the awl but it's only a .2mm difference so you could get away without it.

Thanks for the tips about the pivot size, and different thickness, in the width of the combo tool.
That’s great news. :tu:

I get the feeling, with a username like yours, you’re likely to be pretty knowledgable about these matters.  :facepalm: :D

Cheers.  :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 04:18:05 AM
I don’t think that’s accurate.

93mm Awls are ~1.8mm wide
91mm Combo Tools ~1.4mm wide

0.2mm spacer might work fine…or still have some binding issues depending how well it’s peened.

I’d use 0.4mm or 0.5mm myself. There’s a factory made one that is in 93mm Electrician and maybe the Harvester/SA7 models. Which is already in the ‘bird head’ shape that would match the existing 1mm spacer.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline andywork

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:27:18 AM
[…]

I’d use 0.4mm or 0.5mm myself. There’s a factory made one that is in 93mm Electrician and maybe the Harvester/SA7 models. Which is already in the ‘bird head’ shape that would match the existing 1mm spacer.

Thanks for the detailed reply to my query. :tu:

I hope it’ll help somebody in the future, who would like to make this modification.

Though the more I ask about mods, the more I realise I don’t have the skills, time, enthusiasm and money to pursue these goals.

I think I better leave it there.

Thanks for all your help. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69