Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

carrying 1/4" drive bits

Offline Scorpion Regent

carrying 1/4" drive bits
on: September 13, 2021, 07:01:11 PM
More and more tools are incorporating 1/4" bit drivers.  Carry a assortment of bits is a natural progression.  How do you do it as a part of your EDC? I am curious about the variety of options out there.  I am particularly interested in DIY builds.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: carrying 1/4" drive bits
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 07:31:11 PM
My option to carry all bits i need is this holder with belt clip.

Previously i carried bits in Tic Tac box but downside carryin in there was i needed to get all out to get one i needed

Only Tools Matters

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:09:16 PM
My option to carry all bits i need is this holder with belt clip. (Image removed from quote.)

Previously i carried bits in Tic Tac box but downside carryin in there was i needed to get all out to get one i needed

Only Tools Matters

I have used a RX bottle as  bit holder and had the same problem.  I like the holder, where did you get it?  The handiness of hanging it from a belt has appeal, but potential problems with scratching and snagging make it risky.  Still it could remade to work in a different way, such as clipped to a bag strap or PALS webbing.
You carry bit sockets.  I have chosen to usee a 1/4" bit to 1/4" drive adapter so I can use any 1/4" drive socket.  It allows for more more variety, but it means I am also going to have to figure out a way to carry sockets too.  There's always trade offs

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 09:44:02 PM
I have used a RX bottle as  bit holder and had the same problem.  I like the holder, where did you get it?  The handiness of hanging it from a belt has appeal, but potential problems with scratching and snagging make it risky.  Still it could remade to work in a different way, such as clipped to a bag strap or PALS webbing.
You carry bit sockets.  I have chosen to usee a 1/4" bit to 1/4" drive adapter so I can use any 1/4" drive socket.  It allows for more more variety, but it means I am also going to have to figure out a way to carry sockets too.  There's always trade offs
I carry only 8mm, 10mm and 13mm bit sockets only cause i need those mostly at work. If i need diffrent size i need to get my other set what has regular sockets and 1/4 adapter it has sizes 5mm to 15mm sockets.
That bitholder is from wurth https://shop.wurth.ca/general-tools/professional-hand-tools/drive-bits-allen-keys-sets/bit-assortments/bit-set-with-holder/Bit-Set-C-6.3-(1-4)-17pcs-Bit-Holder-Belt-Clip/614.203/
Got 2 bitset holder from my employer, i added my self those 3 bitsocket. Its suprisingly good to carry and doesnt get stuck easily.

Only Tools Matters

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:40:11 PM
Thanks Antti Lammi -  You given me somethings to think about.  I appreciate the link.

"If i need diffrent size i need to get my other set what has regular sockets and 1/4 adapter it has sizes 5mm to 15mm sockets."

I have found that fasteners with heads over 13mm should not be tightened down with 1/4" drive sockets or bit drivers because of inadequate torque.  Having important things come loose makes for a bad day at the very least.  I would love to carry around a 9/16" socket in 1'4" drive, but for that very reason I have to settle for a wrench or a 3/8" drive socket.    Of course I don't know what you are working on so 1/4" drive sockets and bit sockets may be perfectly fine for you.

Mr Goodwrench what big tools you have. 
All the better to turn bolts with. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:55:46 PM by Scorpion Regent »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
carrying 1/4" drive bits
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 10:58:07 PM
I really like the Chums Surfer Wallets and use them for this along with carrying all sorts of things that I edc.
I carry the Gerber Armbar in this one along with an extension and some bits usually and the clear pocket can be pretty handy to avoid having to dump them all out to find one for sure.
These are just a truly handy way to carry things in pocket or hanging with keys or other tools and lights.

There are also new holders out from Dewalt and all others made by Stanley that are just the right size for pocket carry and pretty tough too.

CountyComm also has a similar sized pocket that is cheap and of their typical quality that is just a single zipped pocket but with a sturdy belt clip too.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 02:33:24 AM
I have carried them inside a pen with the ink cartridge removed.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:59:01 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Thats some James Bond style EDC right there! :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 07:17:47 AM
 :iagree:  Very clever. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 08:49:16 AM
Here is my take on it, the bit holder are from a bacho Mt and the leather I did myself, really snug fit and I don't notice it in my back pocket

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 11:54:53 AM
CountyComm also has a similar sized pocket that is cheap and of their typical quality that is just a single zipped pocket but with a sturdy belt clip too.
Well contained, with a fair amount extra space, but not really organized.   If County comm is cheap then I'm shocked.  I have found some of the things they sell for 30% to 60% less from other sources.  To the best of my knowledge, they don't make anything themselves, they buy stuff and mark it up.  They do have  good eye for quality.   I found pouches like that for $2 each in a brick and mortar store.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 11:57:26 AM
Here is my take on it, the bit holder are from a bacho Mt and the leather I did myself, really snug fit and I don't notice it in my back pocket
[It's not failure if you learn something from it]
Nice.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 12:04:47 PM

I like that its tight and contained. There are various types of tubing at the hardware store that could be used to make something similar.  The drawback is you have to spill all and choose one.  I have used worse. 

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 01:55:58 PM
Well contained, with a fair amount extra space, but not really organized.   If County comm is cheap then I'm shocked.  I have found some of the things they sell for 30% to 60% less from other sources.  To the best of my knowledge, they don't make anything themselves, they buy stuff and mark it up.  They do have  good eye for quality.   I found pouches like that for $2 each in a brick and mortar store.

I meant cheap quality.

I am not impressed by the quality of anything from them made of nylon for carrying things in general and have decided to stop buying anything unless it is something that they just relabel and sell cheaper.

But I use the Chums Wallet for all sorts of things and they are great and the new Dewalt containers are really nice and come with the bits I already buy these days so thats a big win to me.

Every time I find a simple plastic or rubber holder that organizes in a strip it fails and I can never find a replacement so I have sort of given up and those.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:23:20 PM by ezdog »

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 05:45:16 PM
I meant cheap quality.

I am not impressed by the quality of anything from them made of nylon for carrying things in general and have decided to stop buying anything unless it is something that they just relabel and sell cheaper.

Well I don't buy from them at all any more.  The last thing I bought from them was a Doc Allen's Versatool.  It's quality, but they marked it up.  I later found it selling for less elsewhere. 

I found out that Mechanic's Helper makes magnetic bit organizers, similar to their socket organizers.  They are bulletproof sturdy and keep things organized.  Unfortunately they are designed for a work bench, not a pockets.  So my search continues.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 11:20:56 PM
Well I don't buy from them at all any more.  The last thing I bought from them was a Doc Allen's Versatool.  It's quality, but they marked it up.  I later found it selling for less elsewhere. 

I found out that Mechanic's Helper makes magnetic bit organizers, similar to their socket organizers.  They are bulletproof sturdy and keep things organized.  Unfortunately they are designed for a work bench, not a pockets.  So my search continues.

I got lucky as there is a store near me that actually stocks a lot of the CC stuff and I can see it in person before buying and it has stopped me pretty much too!

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 01:04:44 PM
I got lucky as there is a store near me that actually stocks a lot of the CC stuff and I can see it in person before buying and it has stopped me pretty much too!
CC is mail order only.  I happened to be in San Jose and on a lark I stopped by their address.  They wouldn't sell anything in person.  Made some lame excuse about losing a government contract.  My money not being good enough for them is another reason I go elsewhere.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 01:46:13 PM
CC is mail order only.  I happened to be in San Jose and on a lark I stopped by their address.  They wouldn't sell anything in person.  Made some lame excuse about losing a government contract.  My money not being good enough for them is another reason I go elsewhere.

gpknives

Walk in shop like every other store,pay and walk out,they are sold at retail there.

They also sell Zebralight over the counter which for me can be much,much more costly!

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 10:17:07 PM
gpknives

Walk in shop like every other store,pay and walk out,they are sold at retail there.

They also sell Zebralight over the counter which for me can be much,much more costly!

GPknives.  If I'm ever in Illinois.  Going there would involve a bit more than walking.  However it is always good to have options.  Zebralight, nice, but I need another flashlight like a hole in my head.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 01:25:57 AM
GPknives.  If I'm ever in Illinois.  Going there would involve a bit more than walking.  However it is always good to have options.  Zebralight, nice, but I need another flashlight like a hole in my head.

You can probably imagine my Wallet screaming in fear when I walked in and saw ZL in the wild there!

Same later with CC gear.

And of course it is a huge Knife and MT resource as well.

It is really tough to walk out empty handed when you can try anything in the store in person.......and of course they know it too.

It is in the STL Metro area and I even went by it Today headed somewhere else and had to fight myself to stay out of there.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 08:53:47 AM
You can probably imagine my Wallet screaming in fear when I walked in and saw ZL in the wild there!

Same later with CC gear.

And of course it is a huge Knife and MT resource as well.

It is really tough to walk out empty handed when you can try anything in the store in person.......and of course they know it too.

It is in the STL Metro area and I even went by it Today headed somewhere else and had to fight myself to stay out of there.
Sounds like you've got a serious MT, Knife & accessory jones there, dude.  You might want to find a 12 step group for that.

I learned a while ago, just because something is for sale, doesn't mean I am under any obligation to buy.  I no longer follow the teachings of Inebriated Mariners Economics. 

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 02:06:36 PM
Sounds like you've got a serious MT, Knife & accessory jones there, dude.  You might want to find a 12 step group for that.

I learned a while ago, just because something is for sale, doesn't mean I am under any obligation to buy.  I no longer follow the teachings of Inebriated Mariners Economics.

Oh I can stop anytime but thanks for the concern. :cheers:

It sure beats buying based on the reports of others and just taking my chances and it is a welcome change to be able to see the things in person as retail is all but frying up everywhere these days for a lot of things.

Funny thing is that the less time I spend in these forums,the less I consider adding to the "Collection" too  :think:

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 03:31:10 PM
Oh I can stop anytime but thanks for the concern. :cheers:

It sure beats buying based on the reports of others and just taking my chances and it is a welcome change to be able to see the things in person as retail is all but frying up everywhere these days for a lot of things.

Funny thing is that the less time I spend in these forums,the less I consider adding to the "Collection" too  :think:
You guys have the best information here.  If I make a purchase it will certainly be a informed one.  For the most part I need less stuff in my life.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate cool things.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 04:15:29 PM
Use a small Altoids tin or similar. Use some cotton to keep things quiet and in place. It's easy to pick the bit you want when you open the lid, unlike with the Tic Tac box.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 06:19:56 PM
You guys have the best information here.  If I make a purchase it will certainly be a informed one.  For the most part I need less stuff in my life.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate cool things.

So you can not see having a retail outlet in your town as any kind of advantage?

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 08:07:39 PM
So you can not see having a retail outlet in your town as any kind of advantage?
A brick and mortar store providing goods and employment to the area.  Why would I want that?  Even If I'm not in a hurry to spend money, It's always good to have options.  Who ever says window shopping is only for women, is just plain sexist.  One more reason for a local specialty store, it's not amazon or walmart.
Remember one of my complaints about County Comm was they wouldn't allow a in person purchase. 

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 08:16:29 PM
I like the Altoids tin idea. My method would be to cut a small piece of foam to fit, then trace out and cut a slot for each individual bit. Everything would stay nice and organized that way. The setup kottskrapa showed could work well, too.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 11:02:29 PM
A brick and mortar store providing goods and employment to the area.  Why would I want that?  Even If I'm not in a hurry to spend money, It's always good to have options.  Who ever says window shopping is only for women, is just plain sexist.  One more reason for a local specialty store, it's not amazon or walmart.
Remember one of my complaints about County Comm was they wouldn't allow a in person purchase.

Ummm,thats why I asked at all. you seem to be arguing against the idea of shopping in person while you had just talked about CC not being that kind of place?

I am in Denver most Thanksgivings and try to go to the Spyderco Mothership each time to just look and try the models I have not seen. They do not sell from there at all but they will sharpen your Spydie for you if not too busy.

I am rarely in any hurry to spend money but when I walk into Grand Prairie my schedule is subject to modification sometimes.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 12:01:19 AM
Ummm,thats why I asked at all. you seem to be arguing against the idea of shopping in person while you had just talked about CC not being that kind of place?

I got no problem with shopping in person.  The places recommended are in Illinois and Washington, not close.  I'm not traveling long distances to shop in person.  Right now long distance travel can get you killed.  On top of that I am keeping purchases on a as needed basis.  What I want can wait.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 03:34:07 PM
Sorry Ez sometimes sarcasm is lost in print.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%