Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does anyone EDC a DVOM Multimeter?

Offline Scorpion Regent

Does anyone EDC a DVOM Multimeter?
on: September 23, 2021, 04:09:30 PM
Multimeter are truly multitools, but they really raise the bar.  Anyone with opposable thumbs can work a standard multitool.  We live in a world driven more and more by electronics, not just nuts and bolts.  A multimeter's strengths lie in that the more skilled you are the more uses it has.  I knew some one who always took one everywhere he went.  He used its to check house power, batteries, his car, electronics at the the swap meet.  Some one once joked that if he was thinking about getting serious with a girlfriend he would check her for continuity.  Some one else joked he was contemplating on getting a thermo probe so he could check his pot roast and his steaks.  Do you have one and what kind is it?  I have seen some small ones about the size and shape of a cell phone and others similar in size and shape of a large Vape unit.  Of course full sized units can do a lot more. 

I really hope this is the right forum choice.  I could really decide is a multimeter a gadget, a power tool or just a different kind of MT.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Does anyone EDC a DVOM Multimeter?
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 01:22:40 PM
I don't carry it, but I do have a multimeter that I use- or try to use anyway.

The sad fact is that I am almost 100% clueless when it comes to electrical stuff.  I can swap out switches, fixtures and outlets, but that is pretty much the extent of my electrical abilities.

I have tried to use my multimeter a few times, but honestly, I don't know what to set it to and when, whether the numbers coming out of it are meaningful, or even accurate.  Both as a homeowner and car guy, it's something I wish I knew more about, buy I can never seem to grasp anything more involved than the most basic circuit design.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 02:17:23 PM
A voltage reading can tell you a lot about what's wrong with a car the won't start.  But you do need a basic knowledge of how car electrical systems work, and what's normal in different modes.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 04:19:23 PM
I have both a Fluke 787 process meter and Fluke 1577 that has the built in insulation tester up to 1000V. I tend to use the 1577 more nowadays in my current job.  Both are great, but I wouldn't want to have to buy them myself, both are provided by my workplace.

Offline vadsoom

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 10:27:52 PM
Unfortunately, this one never made it to market.

https://youtu.be/-FM6cFWoSzE

I would love to find a DMM small enough to EDC (think Leatherman tool size). I have a few of ones similar to the one shown below that work well and are relatively small, but still not small enough to pocket for daily use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0957H5122

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 11:46:54 PM
I carry several Fluke meters and they are really pretty much a standard for field use around here though HVAC guys also use the Fieldpiece stuff which is really nice too.
Most Fluke meters have a combination Digital Display and Analog bar graph on the bottom that sort of resembles an analog meter needle and this is a really useful feature for me most of the time,useful enough to only buy Fluke for it.

Just another tool but without which I am simply guessing a lot for sure.

I do have a few small units that I did get just for travel and compactness too. I have an older Amprobe pen style meter but which also has an analog bar graph readout just like most flukes which again is really handy a lot of the time vs a straight numeric display.

I also most recently got a cheap Woods Wire meter just because it is so small that I can always have in a pack or briefcase but honestly the current small Fluke meters are full on fluke featured now and small enough and a lot more easy to trust too!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 02:33:30 PM
FWIW, the Pokit Meter is a small disk shaped instrument with test leads.  It contains a bluetooth transceiver which uses your cell phone as a digital multimeter and oscilloscope.

Link:  https://www.pokitinnovations.com/pokit-meter/
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%