Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recumbent Adventures

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Recumbent Adventures
on: September 25, 2021, 04:33:24 AM
  Friend and I went out on a portion of the Boise Greenbelt. Heard it is actually 26 miles long. Was a terrific sunny day to be out, and a lot of other people thought so as well.

One of the areas in between condo villages Roger pulled over. Seen him dragging out his camera. And like a moose, I had to barrel on past him before stopping. GoPro 6 Black caught them. The deer crossed right in front of us, and they decided to leave deer pellets on the hillside while watching us. One went up on the bank to hide behind the trees as most the other riders went by us. Yeah, we sort of stopped right on the trail.
  As you can see most of the people didn't see the deer, or they are so used to it. Saw a couple of other recumbents ride by. Only other recumbent I saw was a two wheeled one with a 20 inch front and a 26 inch rear, and she looked very wobbly.

Wanted to share today's earlier deer sighting.  :D

https://youtu.be/tnQLCsW9Mzk
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Recumbent Adventures
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:44:38 PM
Moved to the Breakroom to see if you get any more interest.   :tu:

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 01:51:56 PM
What brand is your recumbent bike, and are you happy with it ?
Several years ago i rode a few, a friend of mine used to be the owner of Challenge recumbent bikes here in the Netherlands.
He sold the company in 2012 though.

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 02:46:07 AM
What brand is your recumbent bike, and are you happy with it ?
Several years ago i rode a few, a friend of mine used to be the owner of Challenge recumbent bikes here in the Netherlands.
He sold the company in 2012 though.

Went with a TerraTrike Rover, a 2016 model with an internally geared hub. Was not much options for weight capacity. Was pushing 385 minus any load/water. Rover holds 400# + 50# of cargo. Tandem Rover is 500# + 50# cargo. Square steel tubing for main boom. And recently upgraded to a NuVinci n380 hub. But did not get a lot of riding in before it got cold.

The only other option, weight capacity, was a Greenspeed Magnum XL. But we're talking $5,000+ verses $1800 for the Rover.

Now my buddy I ride with wants me to get a e-motor option. And there is a Canadian outfit called Grin Products that sells an All Axle Hub Motor that can attach to the right wheel of the Rover. But then it's more weight, cost, and the batteries also add weight. They are not cheap, but they can act as an e-motor when wanted, or turned off and used as a normal wheel. Clever!

¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 04:26:21 AM
Nice, I built mine with scrap from old bikes and one recumbent which is the cheapest they make, it had a 20” front with reverse brake and two 16”, but I kinda switched things around and turned it into a two 16” front wheel, with a 26” rear wheel drive with rear brake, still not 100% done with it cause I want to put an emergency pull brake on it that will lock a wheel, if a hand like leave the handle further then 8in, cause normally when I have a seizure my hands clench in front of my chest, and the steering handles are way off to the side, so if I was ridding with the Mrs, and I have one my hands will pull toward my chest releasing a pin so a spring loaded brake would lock up, and I wouldn’t go ridding off into a car,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 12:21:51 PM
I live in a city that has a lot of hills- in fact, the whole city is a hill, and a steep one at that.  The idea of an electric assist seems like a great idea.

It is also a fairly small city, very bike-able and the idea of a tadpole trike has appealed to me greatly for getting around it, but the hills and relatively poor acceleration of a trike has largely kept me from actually doing it, but the possibikity of electric assist really changes that.

Please keep us informed on how well that works out for you if you do it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 09:21:06 PM
Bump!  I've always wanted to try a recumbent bike!  We had a dealer here for decades but he just closed up for good a few months ago. 
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 01:16:07 AM
That's too bad.  They aren't cheap, but I try to keep my eye out for a decent, affordable used one.  Seems that no one who has one is willing to part with them!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 03:12:26 AM
Exactly  :facepalm:
Barry

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 04:18:22 AM
  So much time has passed and I have been posting more on Facebook as there is no issues with how many pictures or space being needed.

Tater TOT Recumbent Rally 2024 Hoping to go again this year. Went last year. Never saw a moose, but did travel to an old town of Mullen. Nice mountainous ride. Been to the center of the universe, in Wallace. Interesting town... they even have a brothel museum.

Recorded a couple of group rides.

Trying to capture all of us in an accelerated drive-by. I ended the video a tad short catching up to the faster group.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHQpMg0mo8

We were headed west towards Pinehurst and such, but we had to turn around just past Cataldo to change rooms at the hotel. Was having health issues (stasis venous ulcer on left ankle). So we got a ground floor room. :)  My friend Roger rides that orange HP Velotechnik ahead of me and he put an Ice Trike's quad kit on. He bounces a lot, the spoiled brat.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQWOEQFndE&t

Last bridge to Mullen, Idaho
  https://panoraven.com/en/slider/QscWFa75RR

Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes is 73 awesome miles in length, and runs more lateral across the state of Idaho into Montana.

Last year I seen places I never knew existed. Used the IQUI camera too. Got cool shots with my Insta360 X3 camera, and now have a longer (9 foot) selfie stick for better photo opportunities.
  Flik'r album of 21 photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99100139@N06/albums/72177720309428122/

So, my friend and I installed a TongSheng TSDZ2 motor on my trike. It lasted about 113 miles before it gave in. This was about a year ago. This was that motor's last sounds on my trike. -- Roger had it rebuilt and he rides it on an older Greenspeed recumbent trike
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHTRLLBaAE8

A few months later Roger found references to a Bafang M625 that starts out slow like a normal trike, The standard Bafang motors leap out with force and many do not like it or having to hold their brakes starting off. Lots of hard core Bafang owners hate the Cargo Bike M625 motor, but for me and my payload it has been an outstanding motor. Have climbed hills without an issue, been on paved and unpaved roads. So far no issues past an occasional Anderson connector causing a fit. Gorilla tape fixes that. Am going to be switching over to XT90 connectors this year, or is the plan. And got another battery mount. Just need the time, good weather, and less mozzies.

Me, in the above videos, has a Bafang M625 with a 1,000 watt motor, and a CANBUS system. Was gifted an additional battery last Christmas so I can ride 60 miles at current payload. Am still working on the weight but it is not wanting to go away. :(  We started installing in late October. Needed proprietary wiring harness extensions, and had to splice the CANBUS communications wire and extend that. There went the warranty, not that it mattered. Was riding in March of last year. Have several hundred miles on it, probably around 800+. Much happier now.

Last year on the Tater Tot ride in Kellogg the tires really got wore out on one side on a ride. Decided to take it back to the motel, and was arranging to get some new tires. The toe out was severely out of whack and the local bike shop did not have anything to fit my trike. Then someone clued me into looking under the trike to check for cracks. Man, I did not know just how lucky I was as I could of had a wreck or worse...  crippled up until I ordered a newer outrigger version which got me back to riding again.

The front wheels attach to the outrigger portion of the frame.

Riding most everywhere I want to go now, even up the switchbacks. Roger's ride on the left, mine on the right. Upper Weiser River Trail near the Wye Campground.

Hehe. First time on the switchbacks, going down!
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgtWBBaOg30&t=42s

About 5 months ago we went back and rode up the switchback, 4% to 5.6% on upper end. Thankfully no one was coming down...  ::)
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMBRFLzoW9U

Second time going down the switchback was not as thrilling cause I knew what to expect, and got more practice on brake steering.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwzE3flC-_M

I went out a couple of times so far this year, still cool. Last weekend Roger and I rode the Wilson Creek Pathway, thinking we could find Stoddard Pathway -- Roger was not keen on riding through the city. Still, we got 15 miles. Even when using e-assist you still have to pedal, and you will get a workout. Was sore for two days.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 04:37:12 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 04:45:49 AM
That looks like it's fun !   :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 02:05:27 PM
 :iagree:  I hear they're so much more comfortable to ride.  I love the off road version!
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 02:32:57 PM
  So much time has passed and I have been posting more on Facebook as there is no issues with how many pictures or space being needed.

Yeah well, if we had FB's budget we wouldn't do such a piss poor job of archiving.

Def

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 05:20:11 AM
Yeah well, if we had FB's budget we wouldn't do such a piss poor job of archiving.

Def

If any of my topics, pics, whatever are needing trimmed, then go right on ahead. I will not fret over it. Wished I could make donations more often but $1200 a month in bills is killing me.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 09:53:44 AM
We don't trim, delete, wipe or remove anything here.

Def

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 04:47:03 AM
  Was out and about in Midvale, Idaho. Population 193. Not much to see. No rain for a change. Soakin' up the rays! Carried Garage #5 on me.

M014 by Jackaroo Jim, on Flickr

Jealous of his V flag formation!
  M008 by Jackaroo Jim, on Flickr

And my first TimeLapse video. Look at the terrain and river, feels weird. Was a short test cause I had not idea what it did.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhnVqq4ipU

Enjoy!
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 05:59:36 AM
 :like: :like:
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00