Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Learned a lesson

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Learned a lesson
on: September 29, 2021, 04:28:59 PM
I learned today, that I need to rethink clip carry with some tools. 

I was just at the county dump. As I was throwing the bags of trash into the dumpster situated below the paved lot, a bag snagged the clip on my Leatherman Bond and knocked it several feet into the dumpster. 

I talked to the attendant, who said there was little chance it would be found until it was dumped.  The dumpster was mostly empty at the time.

What annoyed me was that it had been in my EDC pack for a few weeks, but I'd taken it out and clipped it to my jeans pocket for some jobs around the house. 

On the flip side, I am very glad it was a new model that is affordable to buy at street price. I chose to mostly retire discontinued knives and tools in EDC.  My folks were rushing me, and I unfortunately didn't have much time to give details other than that it was a Leatherman multi tool

From now on, I will very carefully examine my clips. Most folders with FRN and G10 folders grab my pocket tightly.  My Surge, Wave, and Charge are snug.  However, knives and tools with highly polished handles refuse to stay clipped.

My replacement will be my Rebar--in a belt sheath.   

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Learned a lesson
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 04:31:27 PM
Sorry to hear that.  I am not of a fan of clipped tool for various reasons.  Such a bummer thats for sure. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 04:34:19 PM
That is bad to hear, cody :facepalm:

I like clips but do realize that I can lose things with them :facepalm:

I have had a few Olight I3es lost like this with the suspension clips :oops:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 05:16:24 PM
I chose to mostly retire discontinued knives and tools in EDC.  My folks were rushing me, and I unfortunately didn't have much time to give details other than that it was a Leatherman multi tool
Same here. When I do carry a discontinued knife or tool, it's only occasionally, and usually when I have a nicer example among my showpieces.

I have also noticed that pocket clips tend not to work well with smooth metal. My Streamlight Stylus Pro has that issue; it likes to wriggle free of the pocket it's clipped to. The Buck 112 and Spyderco Delica stay in their intended place pretty well. My Hinderer Investigator pen has a decent pocket clip...but the body likes to shake itself free of the cap. For that reason, I've stopped carrying it.

Sorry to hear you lost your Bond in such a manner.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 05:40:02 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I'd probably jump in after it, with the dumpster mostly empty and awl.

:facepalm:

I bet the guy you talked to did just that, as soon as you walked away.

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 06:48:16 PM
 :iagree:

Oh you know he did.   :twak:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 07:34:51 PM
Sorry to hear this Cody. I know it hurts.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 07:59:40 PM
Nooooo :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

That's not good news, especially as I just got a clip for my Bond (and need to do similar with some rubbish)  ::)

I hope you have a positive outcome, and soon. Good luck  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 09:13:14 PM
:iagree:

Oh you know he did.   :twak:

I'm thinking it's OSHA (or even insurance) policy that no one is allowed in the dumpsters, even their employees; but that would not surprise me either.

I'm sure it would have been MUCH different a few years back when this dump was still county-run. County ran into financial trouble a few years back, and decided to sell the dump to a large sanitation firm out of Johnson City, TN.

The irony is that during a "free tire disposal"; I can't dump tires at the Mercer County, WV dump (which is still county-owned and county ran there; which is the neighboring county) but towns and cities in WV can dump their trash here now that it is no longer county run. I've seen trucks as far away as Eastern Virginia bringing in garbage, when it used to be only for county residents, town/county trash trucks, as well as local refuse companies. They've had five trash fires under new ownership, when I can't recall a single one under county ownership (and the county kept an old fire truck in the county garage just down the road from the dump for this reason).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 09:15:01 PM
Likely.  I do hope however he did fetch it.  Shame to let a MT that he knew was in there go to waste. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 11:01:57 PM
Sorry to hear.  Hopefully it will male its way back to you.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 01:42:41 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss there, Cody.

Pocket clips definitely have their pluses and minuses.  I sometimes carry knives or lights clipped to a pocket, but have also been known to unclip them and shove them deep in the pocket if I’m going somewhere where that might be frowned upon, or doing something where they might get snagged.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 04:06:17 AM
Sorry that you lost your Bond, Cody. Especially since it was clipped to you and was expected to remain that way. I use (or did use) belt sheaths. However, they are not fool proof either. I once lost a MT under a house because it fell out of the sheath.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 05:20:05 AM
Cody, sorry to hear about the clip and the Bond.  But on the flip side, lucky it isn't discontinued and not the most expensive tool there is. 

Long ago, I too have seen my tools fallen out of my pocket often because it snag on something when I got in and out of the car, and since then, I have switched completely to pocket carry(usually in some form of pocket organizer, inside my cargo pants pocket with flap) and the same thing very rarely happen nowadays.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 12:17:21 PM
Lost my CRK Inkosi that way...  :ahhh ...fortunately, I got it back ... :woohoo:

I think it highly depends on the clip and where you are carrying it. For me, the clip makes or breaks a pocket knife. Aggressive ramp and/or sharp clips have a tendency to snag onto everything.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 08:49:47 PM
Thanks for the heads-up and sorry for your loss Cody :(

I must say I haven't had the misfortune of losing my tool because of a clip - rather the opposite, which is why I still like them a lot and have added one each to the Bond and both my Rebars. Loose in a pocket these would interfere with other contents. Belt pouches are not always an option I find, especially in European urban settings where they might give rise to some alarm...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69