Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Social Media Stuff

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Social Media Stuff
Reply #60 on: October 17, 2021, 01:17:58 PM
It is nice to see my thoughts on the state of SAKs mirrored so nicely...and that of Leatherman as well.

I have not added many SAKs to my collection of late because special edition colours to not get my boat revving at all. In fact, the latest were Wenger models I was able to find in the wild, Although next time you are in the area Def, Thessalon's supply has now dried up of them.

Leatherman still pissed me off, seeing that I dearly want to add a G10 Charge Earth, a No hands Leatherman tool, and a Topo Skeletool...and now that Costco exclusive to my collection, but cannot get because I am in Canada. Trying to collect their stuff is very annoying for someone not living in the US. I also agree with the lack of innovation currently found in this company as well.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 17, 2021, 07:08:12 PM
There does seem to be a familiar pattern emerging here..
Tim leatherman semi retires and with it goes the quality.

Carl Elsener passed away and the innovation disappeared along with him

Don’t know if Gerber or SOG are still run by the same person that brought us the over engineered Gerber's and SOG’s of yesteryear.

It seems the newer generation of CEO’s have a completely different mindset.

I often get the feeling those early pioneers wanted to build and deliver the best possible tools, the byproduct was profit, today it seems they want to deliver maximum profit with the byproduct being a much inferior tool.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:37:41 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 17, 2021, 08:32:46 PM
I'm pretty sure SOG is still run by Frazer, but they changed a lot of people in the design team to get the brand popular again :tu:
Gerber I have no idea about :dunno:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: October 17, 2021, 08:57:35 PM
I'm pretty sure SOG is still run by Frazer, but they changed a lot of people in the design team to get the brand popular again :tu:
Gerber I have no idea about :dunno:

You clearly know more than me. The early SOG’s and Gerber’s were way over engineered.
However, like I’ve stated in separate threads I think the tool load out is the Achilles heel. Why would you buy a new MT costing £££‘s when a used one off eBay for £‘s does exactly the same thing….probably better actually!!

I can’t ever envisage myself buying another new Leatherman or Victorinox simply because they offer nothing new.

The fact LM after 36/7yrs of production still hasn’t developed a blunt nosed plier head is no longer a joke….it’s a embarrassment. I’m assuming it’s because the chassis and linkages couldn’t withstand the pressures exerted. Too arrogant to source outside expertise, so instead they simply come up with cheesy names and silly covers.

Fair do’s, whatever….
The tragedy is they originally weren’t like that. Same goes for Victorinox. Years gone by they were exciting, now it’s the same old same old with silly paint schemes and sparkly scales

Pathetic

My main hobby is photography
I’ve only really ever used canon
Originally with the old FD mount, was fine. Canon then introduced the EF mount. At first I decided I was fine without it, but eventually I realised it was better so had to start over again, then along came digital…again I didn’t want to upgrade but I was missing out on so much that I gave in, now mirrorless has come along and I find it offers new and exciting aspects that my current gear doesn’t give so I’ll probably upgrade again….

What I’m referring to is Canon are constantly moving forward with much better technology.

The same can’t be said for the MT / SAK market. It’s as dull as ditch water, basically overpriced crap. Hence save your money and buy a older used tool. When sales dwindle they may either go bust or get to work , as it is it’s nothing more than stagnant and depressing.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:14:48 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

se Offline RF52

Reply #64 on: October 17, 2021, 09:27:26 PM
You clearly know more than me. The early SOG’s and Gerber’s were way over engineered.
However, like I’ve stated in separate threads I think the tool load out is the Achilles heel. Why would you buy a new MT costing £££‘s when a used one off eBay for £‘s does exactly the same thing….probably better actually!!

I can’t ever envisage myself buying another new Leatherman or Victorinox simply because they offer nothing new.

The fact LM after 36/7yrs of production still hasn’t developed a blunt nosed plier head is no longer a joke….it’s a embarrassment. I’m assuming it’s because the chassis and linkages couldn’t withstand the pressures exerted. Too arrogant to source outside expertise, so instead they simply come up with cheesy names and silly covers.

Fair do’s, whatever….
The tragedy is they originally weren’t like that. Same goes for Victorinox. Years gone by they were exciting, now it’s the same old same old with silly paint schemes and sparkly scales

Pathetic

My main hobby is photography
I’ve only really ever used canon
Originally with the old FD mount, was fine. Canon then introduced the EF mount. At first I decided I was fine without it, but eventually I realised it was better so had to start over again, then along came digital…again I didn’t want to upgrade but I was missing out on so much that I gave in, now mirrorless has come along and I find it offers new and exciting aspects that my current gear doesn’t give so I’ll probably upgrade again….

What I’m referring to is Canon are constantly moving forward with much better technology.

The same can’t be said for the MT / SAK market. It’s as dull as ditch water, basically overpriced crap. Hence save your money and buy a older used tool. When sales dwindle they may either go bust or get to work , as it is it’s nothing more than stagnant and depressing.
Great points made :tu: It would be awesome to see something exciting om the MT world :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: October 17, 2021, 10:14:42 PM
Today's addition.  I've been trying to post this all day but things keep getting in the way!   :ahhh

One of the most sought after Wenger Knives is this Ueli Steck model from the Titanium series.  The Ueli Steck model is the largest of the three knives in the Titanium Series, and was a collaboration with record setting Swiss Mountaineer, the late Ueli Steck.

Due to the cost, these knives never sold in high numbers, and were produced only in Wenger's later years, leading to a certain scarcity that appeals to collectors.  In addition to Titanium handles to reduce weight, this particular knife features a one handed opening, liner locking, serrated blade with wrench cutouts, a can opener, bottle opener (with integrated flathead screwdriver and wire stripper) and a metal saw/file.

Learn more about the Ueli Steck and other Titanium series models, check out SAKWiki.com!  https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Titanium+Ueli+Steck

@wenger_official @uelisteck @uelisteck #uelisteck #uelisteck🇨🇭 #wengeruelisteck #wengertitanium #wengertitaniumline #wengerknife #wengerknives #wengerswissarmyknives #wengerswissarmyknife #swissarmyknife #swissarmyknives #swissarmyknights #sakwiki
16345014908990.jpg
* 16345014908990.jpg (Filesize: 131.69 KB)
16345014909381.jpg
* 16345014909381.jpg (Filesize: 135.57 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:02 PM
There does seem to be a familiar pattern emerging here..
Tim leatherman semi retires and with it goes the quality.

Carl Elsener passed away and the innovation disappeared along with him

Don’t know if Gerber or SOG are still run by the same person that brought us the over engineered Gerber's and SOG’s of yesteryear.

It seems the newer generation of CEO’s have a completely different mindset.

I often get the feeling those early pioneers wanted to build and deliver the best possible tools, the byproduct was profit, today it seems they want to deliver maximum profit with the byproduct being a much inferior tool.

It's easy to say things like "it's not the same since Tim Leatherman (or Steve Jobs or whatever) retired" but I'm not sure that's the right place to point the finger.

Ben Rivera, current CEO of Leatherman has been with Tim almost since the very beginning, and I can't think of anyone more qualified to take the helm (unless of course LTG wants to call up a certain Canadian forum owner :P) so I don't know that we can place the blame there.  Yes, as CEO, the buck stops with him, but I think it's apathy in the ranks more than anything else.

It could also be a simple matter of taking the form as far as it can logically go.  I mean, how many different configurations of knife blades, pliers and various sizes of flathead screwdrivers can Leatherman really offer?

Of course, I'd still really like to see an actual shears based EDC tool, and maybe some blunt nosed pliers, but hey, what do I know?  My car is nowhere near as fancy as any of the ones in Leatherman's executive parking lot....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #67 on: October 18, 2021, 08:17:33 AM
Reeves knives, after Chris left. Cold Steel, without Lynn, similar thoughts and issues
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline RF52

Reply #68 on: October 18, 2021, 09:03:47 AM
Didn't Reeves son take over along his mother. Would have thought that would keep the company the same as ever :dunno:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #69 on: October 18, 2021, 09:31:45 AM
There were a few complaints for the 31, I think, and the overall quality after he left, as seen in BFs Cris Reeves sub-forum.

It was hinted that the divorce settlement/agreement that basically removed the owner/dreamer/head designer from the company was the reason for the issues.

Originally he was supposed to stay on as a consultant but later he left.

This is what I recall from the discussion (not 100% correct, possibly),and the information is still available in various BF threads.

Success seems to be a burden on marriages, as the GEC owner is also divorced, with his wife leaving for a few years and now returning to the company to do admin work.

And lets not forget the recent divorces of the tech billionaires  :)   

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #70 on: October 18, 2021, 09:32:53 AM
with a title like "Social Media Stuff"  we are bound to bring in gossip   :D 

se Offline RF52

Reply #71 on: October 18, 2021, 11:06:17 AM
There were a few complaints for the 31, I think, and the overall quality after he left, as seen in BFs Cris Reeves sub-forum.

It was hinted that the divorce settlement/agreement that basically removed the owner/dreamer/head designer from the company was the reason for the issues.

Originally he was supposed to stay on as a consultant but later he left.

This is what I recall from the discussion (not 100% correct, possibly),and the information is still available in various BF threads.

Success seems to be a burden on marriages, as the GEC owner is also divorced, with his wife leaving for a few years and now returning to the company to do admin work.

And lets not forget the recent divorces of the tech billionaires  :)
I have missed quite a few details then :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: October 18, 2021, 11:53:01 AM
Reeves knives, after Chris left. Cold Steel, without Lynn, similar thoughts and issues

I haven't seen any recent CS stuff since Lynn sold the company, and I've never been able to afford to be as familiar with CRK as I'd like.   :ahhh

From what you are saying about him though, it is starting to sound like John Fogarty being kicked out of CCR  the later being sued for sounding too much like CCR, where he had written all of the songs.

However it happens, I hop that situation works out for Chris- he seemed like a great guy when we had lengthy discussions at SHOT.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #73 on: October 18, 2021, 12:16:56 PM
Based on internet gossip, Cold Steel still seems to be OK and Chris Reeves knives despite some issues still appear to produce a good product, especially their older models.

Lynn started a new company, for the fun non knife stuff, but little else is known by me. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: October 18, 2021, 05:40:24 PM
Today's edition.

Before he was a Forged in Fire repeat contestant, and even before he was a designer for Columbia River Knife and Tool, custom knife maker Ray Kirk was a buddy of mine and supported us at Multitool.org.

This is the Damascus version of the original Raker Ring Tool, which eventually became the basis for the CRKT KERT or Keyring Emergency Rescue Tool.

We have had a few iterations of this tool over the years, including some stamped MTO for Multitool.org members!

Ray, if you are reading this, I hope you are doing well, and thanks for being a great friend!

@rakerknives @crkt_knives #raykirk #rakerknives #rakerringtool #crkt #crktknives #crktkert #columbiariverknifeandtool #columbiariverknifeandtools #forgedinfire #forgedinfirecontender #forgedinfire🔥 #ringtool #rescuetool #multitools #multitool #multitooldotorg
16345716093410.jpg
* 16345716093410.jpg (Filesize: 229.5 KB)

se Offline RF52

Reply #75 on: October 18, 2021, 06:00:07 PM
That's a cool one :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: October 18, 2021, 06:21:34 PM
 :like: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: October 18, 2021, 11:35:35 PM
I'm going to try something a bit different tomorrow. 

Regular scheduled service will resume on Wednesday!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: October 19, 2021, 02:44:40 AM
 :popcorn:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: October 19, 2021, 03:48:43 PM
Had some fun yesterday!

Admittedly there are very few benefits to being my friend, but at least you'll have good tools!

I was out flying drones with a friend and noted the tools I've given him, a Victorinox Soldier and Leatherman Blast are handy and seeing use!

@atlantic_aerialworx @victorinox @victorinoxnorthamerica @leathermantools @leathermancanada #leathermanblast #leathermanblastmultitool #Leatherman #leathermanmultitool #leathermantool #Victorinox #swissarmy #swissarmyknives #swissarmyknife #victorinoxsoldier #drone #dronephotography #dronephotographer
16345944018620.jpg
* 16345944018620.jpg (Filesize: 104.22 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: October 19, 2021, 04:04:38 PM
Always great to see someone using tools that have been gifted to them  :salute: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: October 19, 2021, 05:17:11 PM
Absolutely!

He runs an aerial filming company that uses drones for aerial footage for movies, TV, commercials and real estate.  These are always on tight budgets and deadlines, so I figured he needed some good tools he could rely on.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: October 19, 2021, 10:09:19 PM
I decided to go with a more traditional one.

While not as popular as the Leatherman Raptor, the SOG Parashears has more functions and SOG's Compound Leverage system, which puts more pressure on the blades, allowing you to cut more.

In addition, the Parashears includes a rescue cutter, oxygen wrench, glass breaker, serrated rescue blade, bottle opener with integrated flathead screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, awl and tweezers.

@sogknives #sog #sogknives #sogmultitool #sogmultitools #multitools #multitool #rescuetools #emt #emttool #rescueworker #rescueshears #multitooldotorg
16346739757541.jpg
* 16346739757541.jpg (Filesize: 201.54 KB)
16346739757030.jpg
* 16346739757030.jpg (Filesize: 172.53 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: October 20, 2021, 03:23:43 PM
And another one...

On thing seen all too rarely in the multitool world is a ratchet.  Screwdrivers are great, bit drivers are fantastic, but a ratchet makes everything better!

This small ratchet from Victorinox takes standard 1/4" bits, both in the ratchet head and in the end of the handle.  Originally it came with a set of parts issued with certain versions of the SwissTool, but they can often be obtained on their own for very little money- and well worth it if you spot one!

Want more?  Of course you do, so check out SAKWiki.com!  https://sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=2244&highlight=Ratchet

@victorinoxnorthamerica @victorinox #victorinox #victorinoxratchet #swissarmyknife #swissarmyknights #swissarmyknives #ratchet #edcratchet #edc #edctools #whywouldntya #smalltools #diy #beprepared
16347361280010.jpg
* 16347361280010.jpg (Filesize: 311.54 KB)
16347361280391.jpg
* 16347361280391.jpg (Filesize: 216.2 KB)
16347361280762.jpg
* 16347361280762.jpg (Filesize: 197.97 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: October 21, 2021, 09:09:52 PM
While it is technically not a Swiss Army Knife, the Swiza brand is not without a certain pedigree, despite being a relative newcomer.

Founded by former Wenger CEO, Swiza is a more modern redesign of the same theme, and still made is Switzerland.

This particular model, the D03 features a can opener and bottle opener, both with integrated flathead screwdrivers, tweezers, an awl, a corkscrew and a blade with an ingenious lock release- it is behind the textured silicone handle, under the shield!

These are well worth checking out if you are looking for Swiss quality with a more sleek, modern feel!

@swiza #swiza #swizaknife #pocketknife #edcknife #edcknives #edcknivesandtools #pocketknives #swissarmyknights #sakwiki #everydaycarrytool #everydaycarrytools #everydaycarry
16348433522090.jpg
* 16348433522090.jpg (Filesize: 141.97 KB)
16348433522941.jpg
* 16348433522941.jpg (Filesize: 174.87 KB)
16348433523352.jpg
* 16348433523352.jpg (Filesize: 193.91 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:20 PM
I have always wanted to pick a Swiza up but never been around one in real life and wpuld prefer to handle one before buying  :salute: :tu: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: October 22, 2021, 10:30:16 AM
Finding them does seem to be a bit of a problem.  I have two that I got from another member, but I've never seen one "out in the wild" before.

Other than eBay or the Swiza website, I'm not really sure where to get them.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #87 on: October 22, 2021, 10:34:11 AM
While it is technically not a Swiss Army Knife, the Swiza brand is not without a certain pedigree, despite being a relative newcomer.

Founded by former Wenger CEO, Swiza is a more modern redesign of the same theme, and still made is Switzerland.

This particular model, the D03 features a can opener and bottle opener, both with integrated flathead screwdrivers, tweezers, an awl, a corkscrew and a blade with an ingenious lock release- it is behind the textured silicone handle, under the shield!

These are well worth checking out if you are looking for Swiss quality with a more sleek, modern feel!

@swiza #swiza #swizaknife #pocketknife #edcknife #edcknives #edcknivesandtools #pocketknives #swissarmyknights #sakwiki #everydaycarrytool #everydaycarrytools #everydaycarry

From some posts found here recently, the quality isn't that Swiss. The scales (particularly the lock release mechanism) are not very durable. The customer service seems to be not very friendly, either.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: October 22, 2021, 11:11:25 AM
Finding them does seem to be a bit of a problem.  I have two that I got from another member, but I've never seen one "out in the wild" before.

Other than eBay or the Swiza website, I'm not really sure where to get them.

Def

They are commonly  available online (e.g. Euroknife shop) and in many physical shops in Europe. They are usually found in the same shops that sell victorinox. I am surprised to see that they are hard to get in Canada.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: October 22, 2021, 12:02:35 PM
Everything is harder to get in Canada.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00