Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Tech 17 in 1 Quick Review

gb Offline Qubit

Swiss Tech 17 in 1 Quick Review
on: October 03, 2021, 07:41:42 PM
Picked this up on Amazon for £21.99 the other day.    Was looking for a Multiforce or similar clone.  Only available as the Bibury for £54.99 ($75)  - err no!   :rofl:

Main difference from the other Multiforce style clones is lack of a 1/4 bit driver, which is what I was really after.    But you do get a 2 part small and medium philips which fold away together quite nicely - but would rather have the bit driver.

Blades are decently sharp, 1 stiffer than other and couldnt be opened 1 handed initially (slackened it off a bit).  Scissors are good.  Saw is OK.  Diamond file is, hmmm.   Used it to file some metal smooth and it already seems to be wearing off.   Main issue is the pliers are wobbly.  Ill have to try either the trick with a punch or using a set of grips to rotate the inner pivot to see if that helps tighten it up.  Didn't come with a sheath.

All in all its not bad for what I paid.   It has shown me I dont really like the Wave style, I much prefer the PST/Rebar style tools.   I will be using this info going forward to get closer to what I need/like in a UK EDC.   Current plan is to add scissors, diamond file, 1/4 bit driver to Rebar and disable the locking on any blades I keep in it to make it UK legal, whilst retaining locking 1/4 bit driver etc.   Can then carry it and all the bits I need, in a relatively light format.   Coming soon to a forum near you!   

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swiss Tech 17 in 1 Quick Review
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 08:08:15 PM
I am looking for a cheaper source of the 1/4" bit driver also. Good to know that the scissors are the same quality as the Multiforce scissors

I like your plan to modify a Rebar for your EDC  :tu:

gb Offline Qubit

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 08:30:07 PM
I am looking for a cheaper source of the 1/4" bit driver also. Good to know that the scissors are the same quality as the Multiforce scissors

I like your plan to modify a Rebar for your EDC  :tu:

Cheers!   Yeh working round the UK locking and 3" knife limit isn't always easy, had thought about a hybrid solution, like 1 handle Bond, 1 Rebar or similar but this seems expensive so I reckon i can defeat the lock leaving it working as a decent slip joint.  Hopefully wont be long before can get it sorted.

For the 1/4 bit, Ive got a Daicamping (Multiforce) clone on the way (sadly from China is the only way so got to wait).   Either this or the Shapeways 1/4 bit looks the only way I can do this here in the UK.   Unless I start casting or printing them myself! 

gb Offline Qubit

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 12:40:43 AM
One thing I should have mentioned is that the pliers close a lot nicer than on any recent Leatherman I have seen.   They've all been very stiff to break into the initial close action (and don't particularly get much looser either).   Im sure Leatherman should be able to do better - I think they did in the past.    Victorinox manage it. 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 11:17:53 PM
One thing I should have mentioned is that the pliers close a lot nicer than on any recent Leatherman I have seen.   They've all been very stiff to break into the initial close action (and don't particularly get much looser either).   Im sure Leatherman should be able to do better - I think they did in the past.    Victorinox manage it.
I don't have this particular MT but I agree about the LM pliers comment  :rant: :iagree:
They don't like it up 'em!

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:43:44 PM
 :iagree: with SurgeUK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30