Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber vs Cadet\Classic SD Combo

Poll

Which one?

Climber
18 (69.2%)
Cadet\Classic SD combo
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

us Offline Steelej1976

Climber vs Cadet\Classic SD Combo
on: October 05, 2021, 02:45:21 AM
I struggle between these two choices, so which one would you choose?

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Climber vs Cadet\Classic SD Combo
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 04:47:26 AM
I suppose the flippant answer would be why choose, mix and match as the mood takes you. But totally understand where you’re coming from as I love the cadet and always have a Manager or Rambler on my keychain. Also really like a Climber, Compact or Huntsman for EDC

In my case depends where I’m going or what I’m doing. A trip to the city then probably just the Manager with maybe a cadet as back up, (just found a used green one second hand I’m waiting to arrive, cadet #13 I think :whistle: )

Going further afield then it’ll be one of the 91’s or maybe an FX. Going bush then maybe a 111

Just to confuse the issue even more I like most if not all  84mm SAK’s, let’s face it I like all SAKs period. So think I’m back to the mix and match as the mood takes you answer :think:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 09:36:17 AM
Either way you have almost the same tools available. With just a climber you'll only be missing out on the nail file. I voted climber because I find the cadet hard to get ahold of for bigger tasks. A cadet is what I would call a dressed up or going to church knife.Either set up is what I would call "town carry".

I always have a set of keys, with either classic SD or rambler, in my pocket. That way I can pick whichever larger knife makes sense for the days mission and area of operations.
"One is none and two is one".

Maybe there's no right answer :facepalm:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 05:08:43 PM
I think I prefer having the larger scissors and tools for the most part, but like Jackpine says, there's really no right answer.

I'd actually go Tinker Small + Classic SD Alox, or even just a Compact...  :pok:

I struggle to really like the Cadet as its lack of scissors is such a glaring omission when it has the nail file. If you use the scissors enough, having the larger ones could be worth it over the 58mm. Of your two options, I'd go with Climber (or the Super Tinker which just replaces the corkscrew with T-Phillips).

Only way to know is to buy all of them and try each possible combination  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 05:35:35 PM
The struggle is real. 

I chose Cadet/Classic however I'd actually choose Manager since its what I carry, or more specifically Midnight Manager  ;)

I like having options so having a 58mm with me gives me options.  I'd love to believe I could carry 1 SAK.  I envy those who have found the ONE.
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 06:34:14 PM
I for one would have no struggle on this one....

Climber all the way  :climber:
 ... and an alox classic, or minichamp, or rambler...  :D

Never really warmed up to the Cadet much... It's a good "dress up" SAK, but just that... IMO it's just way too bloody thin. A Cadet X (or at least thicker scales) would make it more barrable.
Don't know how some folks can put up with the alox Bantams.... :think:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 08:52:24 PM
I'd go with a Climber too, because for me a SAK is about having just one tool that does as many things as possible, while keeping within practical levels of carry/pocket space.

Of course, if it were me, I'd just carry some kind of Ranger/Handyman-EvoS557-Cybertool hybrid... :climber:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 12:53:55 AM
I carry a Rambler and a Cadet as my EDC at work. Climber doesn't fit comfortably in my slacks, and I don't want to wear a pouch, etc. I have yet to come across a problem around the office that the combo couldn't handle.

On the weekends, when I can wear sensible pants, I swap in a Huntsman or Fieldmaster.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 03:30:44 AM
Climber. With the Cadet/Classic combo; there are two nailfiles, which is really redundant.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 04:29:44 AM
Climber.

Kinda covers all bases of the combo except for the nail file/s.

If you really really want a Cadet + Scissors in a slightly shorter package, go Evo 14. 85mm package with nailfile and scissors.

If I won’t need an awl or the flathead/drivers of the can opener + bottle opener layer, I go with a Compact.

On the car keys I have a Manager for small SAK needs.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 01:27:30 PM
Climber! You're only carrying one SAK, plus you got the hook. Awlso, like I did with mine, with a little scale swap you got a pen, too.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 03:43:38 PM
I’ve combo’ed the Cadet with Leathermans and other small SAKs. It does really well. The big sell for me is how slim the Cadet carries.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 04:00:00 PM
Back again, to complicate things.  I'd also suggest Tinker vs Cadet or Recruit vs Cadet.  I love my Cadet since its the older ribbed one.  Mine has two blades so the file is nicely complimented with the 58mm.  I was originally a big fan of the Recruit then I got a 84mm one and booya.  What a treat yet capable however I did miss at times the awl.  Heres where our SAK brains tell us we need just one more implement. 

I picked up a 84mm Tinker and its all that.  Like many I struggled to conceive of carrying a SAK without scissors.  Why would I do such a thing?  Well the 58mm has them and they are pretty darn great.  I combo I carry around the house is my Cadet and Micra but thats another story. 

So, would a 84mm Tinker or Recruit be of any interest to ya?  The advantage of the Cadet is its slim profile.  Alox is another great aspect and the color it comes in is also pretty fun.  Last night I pocketed a Tinker which is why I am back to toss out the idea to you.
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 05:52:25 PM
I´d go for the combo. The Cadet with a Classic together weigh less than a Climber (68 g vs 83g).

I don´t carry a Classic (or MiniChamp) as much as I used to, I now prefer the slightly larger Ambassador (74mm). I use it for nailcare, mostly. I combo carry it with other SAKs, a Waiter and a Bushcrafter mod. I find that these three slim and lightweight SAKs together carry more easily than a single SAK with the approximate same set of tools, like the Huntsman. Especially since the Bushcrafter mod is the only one to ride in my pocket and the other two are in my backpack.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 07:36:57 PM
I voted for the combo.

Mostly because I’ve been sold on keeping a 58mm on the keychain. For me it’s usually a Signature Lite. It’s a great backup and ‘allows’ me to pretty much grab anything in the EDC pile without worry about wether I’ll need a pen or lite or file or small blade.

For the OP, the vote is also somewhat against the Climber. I rarely choose to carry any of mine except the BSA and Stay-glo versions. I find them a bit bulky for their tool loading.

And I also have come to love the Cadets…even if it’s mostly for the older 2-blade versions. But one thing I like about the 84mm alox is that the large blade is  more usable to me as a right hander.  With cellidor and 3+ layers, I generally don’t like the position of the main blade closer to my fingers vs. my thumb. Which is why I generally prefer the small blade for most tasks.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 07:50:20 PM
Definitely a tough choice.  The big upside of the Climber is the bigger scissors but you also get the corkscrew and, for me, it fits my hand better.  The Cadet combo will get you a couple of nail-files and, I'd say, carries a little easier. 

Just to throw another option open; how about the Delemont 14?  Unless you really hate those scissors it's really good compromise.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 09:19:59 PM
I voted for the "combo" but to be honest my Cadet (Alox) suits me for most of my, admittedly, urban needs.

I neither need, nor want, scale tools and as for work, I use my issue O/G Surge and Whitby lock knife (I can't carry anything else  ::) )

I don't really like cellidor so, for me, the ideal EDC (in my limited UK legal usage) would be an Alox Cadet X :think:
They don't like it up 'em!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 09:23:34 PM
I voted for the "combo" but to be honest my Cadet (Alox) suits me for most of my, admittedly, urban needs.

I neither need, nor want, scale tools and as for work, I use my issue O/G Surge and Whitby lock knife (I can't carry anything else  ::) )

I don't really like cellidor so, for me, the ideal EDC (in my limited UK legal usage) would be an Alox Cadet X :think:

:whistle:
IMG_20210907_185745345.jpg
* IMG_20210907_185745345.jpg (Filesize: 213.16 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2021, 09:38:37 PM
 :drool:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 11:07:42 PM

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 05:57:06 AM
I struggle between these two choices, so which one would you choose?
The short answer is that it depends.

The Climber is more versatile and has more tools than the Cadet and Classic SD put together, i.e. adds awl, hook, corkscrew, and optional mini SD, while missing only a nail file.

However, the Cadet + Classic SD combo carries more easily, and would probably rarely leave you wanting.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 07:17:52 PM
Dammit!  :like: (whered'y'geddit)  :pok:

Made it years ago (when 84mm scissors were a tiny bit easier to find).

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 11:28:28 PM
Made it years ago (when 84mm scissors were a tiny bit easier to find).
Ah! I see  ::) I'll just wait for Vic' to do the right thing then :surrender: :pok:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: October 08, 2021, 12:14:27 PM
Ah! I see  ::) I'll just wait for Vic' to do the right thing then :surrender: :pok:

Yeah...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 08, 2021, 05:31:45 PM
Definitely the climber and it’s 98% for my love of cellidor which I find to be way more crowd friendly and less likely to draw unwanted attention. Whenever I carry my farmer and grab it real quick from my pocket I noticed that sometimes it will garnish a reaction from strangers as it’s a shiny metal thing that looks like a knife or “weapon”. I just don’t get the same reaction when I carry my cellidors. People see the bright red plastic and think Swiss Army knife and not weapon and I like that benefit. I travel all over the place so this may not be a concern for others but for me it’s cellidor all the way!
 :climber:

gb Offline andywork

Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 05:32:43 PM
Hi Steelej1976,

I’m struggling with a similar dilemma too.
I’m thinking of buying a medium-sized SAK, after only using Classics/Ramblers for a few years.

Though, it seems to me, owning a SAK is a lesson in compromise as none of them are perfect.

Unless you’ve got the skills, or money, to customise your own.

P.S. Nice Cadet X Gareth!  :like:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 05:40:57 PM
I’m thinking of buying a medium-sized SAK

That´s how it starts.  :D

Quote from: andywork
as none of them are perfect.

Down the rabbit hole!  :ahhh

gb Offline andywork

Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 05:46:02 PM
That´s how it starts.  :D

Down the rabbit hole!  :ahhh

Thanks. :D

I’ll think I’ll start with the Climber so I can hopefully “climb” back out?

Well, fingers crossed?! :think:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 06:11:12 PM
Thanks. :D

I’ll think I’ll start with the Climber so I can hopefully “climb” back out?

Well, fingers crossed?! :think:

:facepalm:

You should start with the Explorer so you can "explore" all the models you collect.  :pok:  :whistle:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56