Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I may have reach my saturation point.

Aloha · 48 · 2443

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: I may have reach my saturation point.
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 11:53:30 PM
I really am not sure I have reached saturation :ahhh I have collected knives my entire life and although I don't buy those near as often I still buy tools and tools with knife blades (which is what got me into MTs to begin with :salute: ) I buy tools that I want and always look for deals, if a tool isn't at a price I want to pay then I usually don't get it :tu: Even if it is something I have been looking for, for a long time ;) I do occasionally splurge and get something a bit more expensive but it really has to meet my fancy first :D

I swap out carries a lot but some things never leave the rotation 8) I have quite a few older tools and love the old school designs compared to the newer stuff but some of he newer stuff is great as well :woohoo:

I have had my interest wane over the years but after a while I usually get drawn back in by something new or my interest just returns :tu:

I only have a few interests and hobbies and most of them are connected in some way, so when I lose interest in one area another area usually gets started back up :cheers:

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 26, 2021, 12:09:51 AM
I'm kind of relieved to hear that there is a saturation point!  :D

I do find that my tolerance for badly designed or executed products is wearing thin. I still find novel ideas and well made products interesting.

And actually the other side of the scale too - if a product is amazingly bad I might still get them just for amazement factor. (Lots of such "treasures" to be found within the realm of fake products. My "Addidass - with atttention to details" bag comes to mind.  :) )

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline dmattaponi

I may have reach my saturation point.
Reply #32 on: September 26, 2021, 02:02:22 AM
I've been going thru my SAKs and MTs giving away some and selling off others.  I am not actively searching for the next item to buy for a collection piece.  Thats long been terminated.  I have one or two items that I'd like to try but there's not that driving force that sends me to the bay of fleas to get it. 

I think at this point I've tried what I needed to try MT wise.  SAK wise I've been trying some that have sat for a while to see if they find a role.  As far as folders, since getting a Dragonfly 2 from Nix I've not wanted another folder.  Well, I actually want a DF2 in H1 now  :whistle:.  I'm not driven however like I once was.  The H1 would be my go to work knife.  The DF2 from Nix is my day off knife.  Since I carry my TTi for work I've got my work blade covered.  At home the smaller DF2 is more than enough.   

Fixed blades, after altering a fixed blade I had sitting for a year or so and looking over the ones I do have, I think I'm good.  There are a few however but I'm not as driven to go get them. 

Not sure when my saturation point or what appears to be my saturation point happened.  I can say that trying many tools over time has lead me here tho.  The accumulation of tools also made it possible to obtain some of my go to tools.  Selling off and trading was a great way to do this.  As far as MTs go, I have a few I'll keep just for the simple fact that they take little space and still are fun to own.  The SAKs I have have been whittled down to about 15.  I'll keep many but some are due for new homes.     
“Like”

Like you and many of the others, I know the feeling.  I’ve been on something of a multitool buying spree over the last few months (trying to find the most pocketable, full-size pliers based multitool), but otherwise I think I’ve hit this saturation point.   It was a fairly long process from about 1998-2018.  In the process I’ve discovered that for me, a SAK (carried a traditional pocket knife since the 70s, but stumbled almost by accident onto the extreme utility of the SAK much later),  small flashlight, and a pen do everything I need done on an average day.  Started carrying a light everyday in about 94-95, the SAK was a 2007-8 discovery, as was the pen.  A lot of wasted time and money, but I can’t deny having fun in the process.  Not to mention that for me, the forums can be as tempting as taking a recovering alcoholic into the bar for the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 02:09:29 AM by dmattaponi »

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 04:25:18 AM
Having read this thread in its entirety, I guess it's time to share my experience.

When I noticed my old Super Tinker's scissors weren't cutting paracord as good as they once were, I figured it was time to retire it. I bought a Fieldmaster, and decided to collect SAKs. Watching a Knife Center video led me down the rabbit hole of traditionals. With all of this one thing leading to another, I went nuts buying knives this year.

Now I'm giving some thought to culling the herd. Some culling has been done; for instance, of the six Spydercos I bought this year, I've sold all but one. A few of my traditionals will be going up for sale soon. Most of the SAKs are safe, as is my Garberg.

Not only have I possibly reached my saturation point, but there is another activity I want to engage in: camping. As much as I like traditionals, I wouldn't take one out in the bush with me. I also don't have a long history with them, as I do with SAKs. The aforementioned Garberg and the right multi-tool would serve me perfectly in the outdoors.

And there's only one more I really want to buy this year: the Tiger Orange Pioneer X. Everything else can likely wait.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: September 26, 2021, 04:27:55 AM
Thank you for your posts.  I don't think my style of buying is the norm as I tend to rescue tools more so than anything.  I realized after seeing the few offerings from LM over the years that it was true my desire had run it course. 

SAKs are a little different.  I am not searching for my perfect SAK I am more an opportunist.  If I get a change to get a SAK that I've looked at or one that I know is harder to come by for a great deal then I will pick it up.  My Super Timer is a great example of that as is my Workchamp.  Those 2 were hard not to buy. 

Fixed blades I am a lot more picky about what I rescue.  I also tend to pay very cheap prices.  My recent Robeson ShurEdge kitchen knife was bought for $2 and while not a perfect example or a nice one it was salvageable. 

I am a little embarrassed to say what I pay for somethings but other items I have no problem because most would pass them up anyway. 

I tend to agree with dks however since I only buy as an opportunist and mostly things I can bring new life to, theres no real profit to be made and nor real expense to buy.  Most of my nicer collection does have a value over what I paid.  I've given many things away already and sold other things so what I have currently I'll keep. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2021, 04:33:38 AM
We love camping.  We picked up some great gear over the years but there might be a piece or two yet to get.  I am liking car camping a lot so we can bring gear just to have fun with.  Sure is easier to pack the car with stuff just because rather than in a pack  :ahhh

We tend to camp in the fall/winter here just because its cooler plus less crowded.  We've had our local camp grounds to ourselves many times.  The ranger has come by and had chili with us and we gave him some to take back to his home on site.  We get some snow in our mountains so its fun to be out with no bugs and few critters.  At 32F its cold but we love it.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2021, 06:18:42 AM
We tend to camp in the fall/winter here just because its cooler plus less crowded.
Winter camping would be a no-go for me. I don't feel like turning into a human Popsicle!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2021, 09:01:37 AM
I'm not in saturation, in terms of well anything. There's more SAKS and MTs I want, I'm getting more into lights than I was before... which was still pretty into them (Olight sale later today, I'm looking to clean house  :facepalm:) and there's 110% more knives I want. Knife collecting is my real passion and where I started, my disposible income just isn't what it used to be and I'm stretching the edges of my collecting solution. With hopes to make a big move next year it just isn't worth me investing in expanded storage I can't take with me.

Olight sale later, SAKs on the wish list, and a MTO for sale post in my cross hairs. The wallet may beg for mercy, but I have not yet heard the confusing call of the saturation bell.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2021, 03:33:26 PM
For me, SAKS are fun. There's lots of variety to enjoy.

MTs not so much. 

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #39 on: September 26, 2021, 03:56:11 PM
I’ve gone thru the saturation phase as well. I think I may have vanished from this forum for a couple of years or so. It was when I basically had all the tools I’ve wanted and needed, and there was no point in getting more.

My financial situation has also made me spend less and less. Plus the market has gone stagnant as well - same sellers selling the same overpriced tool. The current situation of the pandemic has also forced us not to go outside as much as before. What’s the use of acquiring something new for EDC when handful of MTs are just lying in a shelf an arms reach away.

Somehow I’m back here posting. Believe it or not I’ll be joining my first challenge this October using a Wenger I bought last 2016. I hope something triggers that spark again for all those feeling saturated now.

That spark may not drive a shopping frenzy but hopefully it will give a renewed application of what MTs we have and use.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 05:16:07 AM
 :like:

The challenges are fun and a great way to get to know a tool.  Good luck with your challenge.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: November 28, 2022, 06:31:05 PM
I hadn't been to the flea market since April.  We went over the weekend and man there were a lot of Trads to see and handle.  There were several SAKs as well and one or two fixed blades. 

I came home with NONE of thee above.  :think:

The trads were nothing special nor anything that I would bump what I currently carry out of my pociet.  They were not going to increase in value nor anything interesting.  Most were newer or had damage that I was not interesting in working on. 

The SAKs were the standard fare.  Classics.  Tinkers.  A few mangled ones.  Nothing that I felt I had to have nor anything that would bump what I currently carry out of my pocket.

Fixed blades were nothing interesting nor ones I felt I had to have.  None were ones I'd bump what I currently carry. 

In years past I would have just bought them all.  I saw an Opinel #8 with broken tip that almost tempted me but I have 3. The full price he asked I was uninterested and not even interested in making a reasonable offer.

When we got home, admittedly I had a moment when I thought "maybe I should have picked up a couple......." then it was over.

DKS mentions
Focus, think well before buying, try to buy items that you like but which will also increase in value (or stay the same) so at least you can make some profit if you decide to sell them.
Give some to friends as presents.

Many of us here are not buying as much as we used to.

I have given so much over the years.  I'm sure some wonder if I'll hand them a SAK or MT or trad  :D.  Seems for a time I gave so much away that I did have "givers regret"  ;).  That passed tho and I continued to give things away. 

Selling was fun for a while too.  I was able to make a decent profit so whatever I did buy was paid for and then some. 

It would seem I am just hyper focused these days on what I'll purchase.  Last night I sat with some of my favorite things I carry.  I touched up some blades, refreshed cells in lights, gave some tools oil, then back to their resting places for the next outing.

I'm pretty happy with what I carry.  Not much can bump these things from my pockets.

Wise words DKS, from you saying I should get into trads to focusing. 

:hatsoff:     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #42 on: November 29, 2022, 02:22:40 AM
It seems to be the rites of passage here. Your post Aloha sounds very similar to many I've read here over the years.

Although I've never been a user as such, simply because the ideal multitool for me personally was never developed. I love Multi's, especially the early stuff. The modern stuff leaves me cold as all I see are silly cost cutting practices disguised as modern ideas, The result for me is that it's all lost its spark!

I think in the past 12 months I've bought less than I'd have bought in a single month when my buying was at its peak.

My problem is that ALL the manufacturers are using the same tool loadout time after time.....it's become boring, the quality is falling whilst prices keep rising.

We need a new kid on the block to shake the tree!
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #43 on: November 29, 2022, 11:42:26 AM
For me it's a delicate balance.
I consider my interest in tools, knives, guns, photography (gear) and outdoor gear etc. to be supporting interest and not primary hobbies.
Having good tools, as well as from time to time trying a new tool, boosts my motivation to take on new projects, build or make things and get stuff done. As long as I'm playing within that window of creativity, I feel that my consumption of tools and implements is healthy and justified.
It's the same with photography and outdoor gear. Having the right gear with the right performance and weight, makes my time outside more enjoyable, which makes me spend more time outdoors, which again makes me happier and healthier. As long as I keep my focus on the experiences and enable myself to be active, a reasonable level of consumption is justified.

Sounds easy enough, but our primate brains can easily be distracted and before you know it, the consumption slowly becomes a primary motivation in itself.
I'm sometimes tempted to collect, even though I know I don't have a collectors mindset. I'm just a curious user. I like to see how stuff works and performs, but when it comes down to it, I don't have what it takes to be passionate about every little minor detail of an items history and curate a meaningful collection. Collecting is an art, and I'm seriously lacking in talent. Consumption, hoarding and accumulation is easy, and unfortunately easily conflated with collecting.
There will always be some tool or piece of gear that can be refined to make me have a better experience, one just have to make honest assessments about which improvements will pay off and actually be worth pursuing. Right now I've identified a potential to improve on my my multitools. That's part of why I joined here. I'll probably be less active here once I've reached a point where I have a selection of tools that does most of what I need. Hopefully I'll still find a reason to stop by from time to time after I reached that point. The good old forums are still my favorite way to interact and share ideas with people on the internet, and there are a handful I keep coming back to.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #44 on: November 29, 2022, 12:06:33 PM
I hadn't been to the flea market since April.  We went over the weekend and man there were a lot of Trads to see and handle.  There were several SAKs as well and one or two fixed blades. 

I came home with NONE of thee above.  :think:

The trads were nothing special nor anything that I would bump what I currently carry out of my pociet.  They were not going to increase in value nor anything interesting.  Most were newer or had damage that I was not interesting in working on. 

The SAKs were the standard fare.  Classics.  Tinkers.  A few mangled ones.  Nothing that I felt I had to have nor anything that would bump what I currently carry out of my pocket.

Fixed blades were nothing interesting nor ones I felt I had to have.  None were ones I'd bump what I currently carry. 

In years past I would have just bought them all.  I saw an Opinel #8 with broken tip that almost tempted me but I have 3. The full price he asked I was uninterested and not even interested in making a reasonable offer.

When we got home, admittedly I had a moment when I thought "maybe I should have picked up a couple......." then it was over.

DKS mentions
I have given so much over the years.  I'm sure some wonder if I'll hand them a SAK or MT or trad  :D.  Seems for a time I gave so much away that I did have "givers regret"  ;).  That passed tho and I continued to give things away. 

Selling was fun for a while too.  I was able to make a decent profit so whatever I did buy was paid for and then some. 

It would seem I am just hyper focused these days on what I'll purchase.  Last night I sat with some of my favorite things I carry.  I touched up some blades, refreshed cells in lights, gave some tools oil, then back to their resting places for the next outing.

I'm pretty happy with what I carry.  Not much can bump these things from my pockets.

Wise words DKS, from you saying I should get into trads to focusing. 

:hatsoff:     

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: November 29, 2022, 03:34:22 PM
@ aicolainen,  :hatsoff:.  Well said.  I do hope you do stick around I've enjoyed the time you've spent on MTO.   

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #46 on: November 29, 2022, 08:23:26 PM
@ aicolainen,  :hatsoff:.  Well said.  I do hope you do stick around I've enjoyed the time you've spent on MTO.   

Thank you, Aloha. Those are kind words!

kr Offline ROKMC MSgt John

Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 01:58:07 AM
After reading the article here, I counted how many MTs I had
160.... F....c.....
In fact, I bought the tool without thinking until recently.
Of course there are other reasons too.
Anyway, some time ago I sold some tools in Korea to buy a Nintendo Switch for my son.
Im still new to selling MTs, but of course I'm very pro at buying them.
Ive been thinking of selling my MT someday and keeping a few important things in it,
but it's too early.
Im raising three sons, and my dream is to take pictures with the same MT as my sons
I still love to improve my multitool, but the temperature has gone down a bit.
Im looking for many places to overcome this crisis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD