Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Lockdown Drive and Pry Owners Club 895

Hero Member Posts: 786
Gerber Lockdown Drive and Pry Owners Club
« on: October 05, 2021, 09:23:25 PM »
I have been eagerly awaiting this tool for a long time.  It's almost exactly what I would have created myself if I designed a pocket knife,

- Locking Blade (I think it might be one-hand opening too once the tools loosen up)
- bit driver
- awl
- replaceable razor (I would have preferred a standard utility blade, but the #11 blade works)
- file (and it has a chisel tip as a bonus)
- pocket clip

The only other thing I would have included would be a pry bar, but the flathead bit might work for that.

It doesn't have any tools I don't need - no can opener, no bottle opener, no corkscrew, no scissors!  :woohoo: 

A few things I don't like -

- Right now, the tools are very tight and difficult to open.
- The file is weird - it doesn't feel as "raspy" as other files, so I hope it works ok. 

Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 57,140
Re: Gerber Lockdown Drive and Pry Owners Club
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 01:33:00 PM »
How about a picture with the tools deployed   :pok:
No Life Club Posts: 1,020
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
I have been eagerly awaiting this tool for a long time.  It's almost exactly what I would have created myself if I designed a pocket knife,

- Locking Blade (I think it might be one-hand opening too once the tools loosen up)
- bit driver
- awl
- replaceable razor (I would have preferred a standard utility blade, but the #11 blade works)
- file (and it has a chisel tip as a bonus)
- pocket clip

The only other thing I would have included would be a pry bar, but the flathead bit might work for that.

It doesn't have any tools I don't need - no can opener, no bottle opener, no corkscrew, no scissors!  :woohoo: 

A few things I don't like -

- Right now, the tools are very tight and difficult to open.
- The file is weird - it doesn't feel as "raspy" as other files, so I hope it works ok. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Are the thumb tabs in yours completely flush?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »
How about a picture with the tools deployed   :pok:

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »
Are the thumb tabs in yours completely flush?

Yes, but it has a raised lip so you can push them open with your thumb.... theoretically, because my tools are still too tight to do that.  Maybe I need to send my thumbs to the gym.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:01:28 PM »
I took it apart..the lock bar is both incredibly short and the steel is thick. Far too much detent and no grip to overcome it.. its not you..its an inherent flaw.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 11:32:19 PM »
I took it apart..the lock bar is both incredibly short and the steel is thick. Far too much detent and no grip to overcome it.. its not you..its an inherent flaw.

I'm going to hold judgement until I break the tool in a bit.  If it stays that way, I will be disappointed, but this will still be one of my favorite multitools due to the form factor and the tool selection.  It opens fine 2-handed, like most of my tools.
No Life Club Posts: 1,810
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 01:21:00 AM »
Looks like the opening ridges are a bit close to the pivot IMO, try a heavier lube on it, the pivot, detent ball, and detent path. Adjusting your grip to take a more aggressive angle would probably help too.

This is basically the same problem I experience with the blade of my T4 before the lubricant. Great looking tool though, should be a nice forget about it carry  :tu:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:49:13 AM »
Looks like the opening ridges are a bit close to the pivot IMO, try a heavier lube on it, the pivot, detent ball, and detent path. Adjusting your grip to take a more aggressive angle would probably help too.

This is basically the same problem I experience with the blade of my T4 before the lubricant. Great looking tool though, should be a nice forget about it carry  :tu:

I had the same issue with my Free T2.  I lubricated the T2 with Super Lube, and it helped.  I just did the same with my Lockdown, and it helped a little but I still can't open it one handed.  Not a huge deal if I never can, but it will be disappointing.
No Life Club Posts: 1,639
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 03:57:29 AM »
I am on the fence about this one. I am interested in it for same reasons Rich gave, but it seems that the flaws exceed those of the Armbar Drive.   :dunno:
Newbie Posts: 16
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 10:22:30 PM »
Gerber just sent me both of these for a review - I do content for knifeinformer.com and am going into more multitools since i'm burned out on pocket knives.

MaxLVLEdc I've been binge watching your videos, they're very informative.  I may reference your  mod video in my review if that's kosher.

My experience with these is that HALF the tools can be opened one handed - at least for me, a righty, on the Pry I can open the Knife and Scissors by pushing down and out (carefully).  The offside tools I just two-hand open.

Not too proud to say I cut myself on the Lockdown Drive 5 minutes after opening it.  Like a moron.

I think they're pretty nice quality for the price, but the flush thumb studs and super stiff detent are definite design faux-pas. 
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 04:01:38 AM »
Gerber just sent me both of these for a review - I do content for knifeinformer.com and am going into more multitools since i'm burned out on pocket knives.

MaxLVLEdc I've been binge watching your videos, they're very informative.  I may reference your  mod video in my review if that's kosher.

My experience with these is that HALF the tools can be opened one handed - at least for me, a righty, on the Pry I can open the Knife and Scissors by pushing down and out (carefully).  The offside tools I just two-hand open.

Not too proud to say I cut myself on the Lockdown Drive 5 minutes after opening it.  Like a moron.

I think they're pretty nice quality for the price, but the flush thumb studs and super stiff detent are definite design faux-pas.

go for it! :salute:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,703 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 03:57:15 AM »
Just got in the Pry version today...photos will be posted later this weekend. Yesterday, I also ordered the Drive version online.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,703 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
20211211_085228A by Chako, on Flickr

20211211_085248A by Chako, on Flickr

20211211_085348A by Chako, on Flickr

First impressions...it is a brick. Larger than the armbars and more along the line of the Gerber Prybrid.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $41.47
PayPal Fees: $3.00
Net Balance: $38.47
Below Goal: $261.53